Do You Take Coffee to the Stand?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
If it's cold, yes, I'll bring a thermos. But typically I prefer to drink half a cannon Monster on the drive to the spot, then finish the rest after the hunt.

Keeps the caffeine headaches at bay, but doesn't give one the urge to really stink up the place like coffee does.

dogmatik

I'm not worried about the scent of coffee as I am the movement involved with said coffee. It's the same for those who dip and spit into a bottle. The movement is more detrimental than the smell.

archer19

No coffee…… no go!!!!!!!!!
I've killed more bucks after giving up the scent control than ever. I wash my clothes
But a ritual of scent control ….. no!
I'll take a big drink from my mug watching a buck coming in.

Carlos

I always do on morning hunts.

Matter of fact, I'm working on setting up my Summit with a magnet on the rail so that I can sit the cup down without it falling off.

If a deer moved into range while I was sipping coffee in the Summit-I'd have to pour it out and slip the cup into my pocket otherwise.

I'll share some pics once I get it setup.

Last edited:

Remi

In muzzleloader and rifle season I always have a small thermos of coffee with me. I've had to set it down to shoot deer several times.

Carlos

So I've been laying off coffee drinking in the stand lately. But after all these posts, I think that will likely change.
Oh man, it really helps on those cold mornings. The only downside is you'll have to pee more than usual.
I never worry much about that anymore though, just let it fly.

Carlos

I epoxied a magnet to the rail, and a washer to the Thermos lid.
This should work out nicely. I just need something to quite it down, there's a pretty noisy 'click' when the lid is set onto the magnet.

IMG_0149.jpeg

Flintlocksforme

Many (or most) deer hunters, especially serious buck hunters, go to crazy lengths over "scent control." Special clothes, special soap, always hunting the wind and walking crazy routes to the stand to avoid crossing anticipated travel lanes.
And then there are those who love a steaming hot cup of very odoriferous coffee in the stand - an odor which is bound to be extremely foreign to deer.
Do you carry a thermos of coffee to the stand? If so, are you not concerned about spooking deer with your hot coffee? If not, why not?
(Beware, your answer might be used in a pending story I write. Give me your name, if you wish, PM's fine.)

View attachment 202626
Always carry a thermos full. Never worried about smell

THEdonkey0515

I take coffee to the stand often, got me a mug full this morning. Piss it all out by 8:00am deer on ground by 9am has happened this way many times.

I use to take scent very seriously when I was a new young hunter and would even get mad when my old dad would hunt my spots because I knew he didn't give a crap about scent. Piss, spit, drank coffee, with scented deodorant on I would think in my head well this spot is done. But then the old man just kept killing big mature deer over the Years so my mind set has changed some lol. His up to 5 this season with a mature 8 on public.

Mud Creek

I take coffee to the stand often, got me a mug full this morning. Piss it all out by 8:00am deer on ground by 9am has happened this way many times.

I use to take scent very seriously when I was a new young hunter and would even get mad when my old dad would hunt my spots because I knew he didn't give a crap about scent. Piss, spit, drank coffee, with scented deodorant on I would think in my head well this spot is done. But then the old man just kept killing big mature deer over the Years so my mind set has changed some lol. His up to 5 this season with a mature 8 on public.

I know an older guy down the road who does nothing for cover scent, wears the oldest cheapest camo of anybody I know, smokes cigarettes like crazy before and during a hunt, constantly drinking coffee from a thermos yet every year I'm helping him drag deer out that he kills sitting on the ground against a tree. He don't even own a stand!

THEdonkey0515

I know an older guy down the road who does nothing for cover scent, wears the oldest cheapest camo of anybody I know, smokes cigarettes like crazy before and during a hunt, constantly drinking coffee from a thermos yet every year I'm helping him drag deer out that he kills sitting on the ground against a tree. He don't even own a stand!
yeah my dad and uncle are the same way, and I grew up hunting with them.
They never watched a YouTube video on Scent control or how to hunt. Never bought a single scent control item. When I was 17-18 years pulling out my bolltle of scent spray they would laugh. My uncle killed two yesterday morning wearing a yellowish flanel orange vest and oil stained work pants drinking a Pepsi.

Hard to argue with 50+ years of results I guess.