What weapons do you take on the hunt?

Lt.Dan

Serious question, what is a bear bullet? Is it a hard cast? What weight.
20230703_151502.jpg

knightrider

I can understand if you're in Alaska bowhunting carrying a shotgun or large handgun, but deer hunting in the lower States? If you have a rifle in your hands why would you need something else that's less powerful and less accurate?
You come over one of these knobs between a black bear and her cubs and all you have is a bow , it wont be any different than the grizzly in alaska

Lt.Dan

You come over one of these knobs between a black bear and her cubs and all you have is a bow , it wont be any different than the grizzly in alaska
This is my rig, so when momma bear has me on my back getting ready to rip me apart I can still get to my bear killer.

Attachments

• 20230315_174750.jpg
    20230315_174750.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 63

348Winchester

I always keep an extra couple in the truck for the entire gun season. If I'm stand hunting, the single shot 270 is usually the rifle of choice. When still hunting the ol' faithful Winchester 1894 in 30-30 with Williams receiver sight is what is in the hand. These two are always in cases behind the seat. Often though, depending on weather, certain stand locations, and fanciful whims any number of rifles/ slug guns may be used.

I learned a lesson from a friend's mistake over twenty years ago. We were hunting the same area and I had arrived first. I was just settling into my stand in a ridge saddle when the familiar sound of his 300-6 powered Ford drifted up the ridge. He killed his engine and after a couple of minutes fired it up and left. He returned about an hour later. He had forgotten his rifle! Since that day, my two primary rifles have been in my truck for the season.

I apply this to muzzleloader as well. My Handi-Rifle is the first choice with the old Thompson Center White Mountain carbine riding along in the truck just in case. Once, I had cleaned my Handi-Rifle during the season after firing it a couple of times. I forgot it when I left that morning. When I arrived at my parking spot it hit me that I had left the rifle at home. A brief sinking feeling crept over me until I remembered the little carbine nestled in its case behind the seat. My hunt was saved and I killed a big fat doe that happened to cross paths with me as I still hunted back to the truck after seeing nothing from my stand on the morning sit.