Would you take the shot?

Knothead

I'm with Omega.

IMG_0530.jpeg

Ski

why are some of you dead set against head shot ? You don't mess up all that inside stuff , nor any meat . I'll do it anytime . Favorite is behind the ear walking away from me . Worst case you clean miss .

I heard what sounded like a grunting buck with lots of thrashing inside a thicket. I just knew it was a breeding couple so I stalked my way in. As I got closer the sound became more like an old man snoring. I couldn't see any deer but the sound was right in front of me. Another step and I saw it.

There was a button buck on the ground with no jaw and a mangled forehead, ear dangling. He was gurgling on his own blood. His sinus cavity was destroyed. I pulled my knife out to cut his throat and he jumped up as soon as he felt me, and ran full throttle right into a tangle of bushes that he'd have seen if his eyes worked. So I shot him.

Upon closer look the bullet had entered behind and slightly above an ear and took the bottom of his face off on the exit. I assume from a tree stand. Regardless, the entire ordeal really impacted me. It was tough seeing the deer suffer, and who knows for how long. I hadn't heard any nearby shots that day. I'm 100% sure someone thought they'd shoot a yearling doe behind the ear and save all that tender meat. Bad as I felt for the little buck I'm sure the hunter felt even worse.

That's why I'm dead set against head shots. No doubt that hunter felt confident in their shooting ability as well. On the range I'm sure he/she was a good shot. They hit the mark on this deer. It wasn't a miss.

Had they put it through the ribs behind shoulder the deer would have been easily removed and only meat damage would have been the thin strips between a couple ribs. It's not a glamorous hero shot that requires marksmanship but it's effective.

deerhunter10

why are some of you dead set against head shot ? You don't mess up all that inside stuff , nor any meat . I'll do it anytime . Favorite is behind the ear walking away from me . Worst case you clean miss .
No worst case scenario you severely injury the deer and it dies a slow death because you missed your spot by a couple inches. You do not ruin enough meat shooting behind the shoulder or even dead on to justify ever shooting a deer in the head. That's a mountain ill die on. No need for it at all.

MickThompson

I've taken 2 head-on shots on bucks, both through the neck/chest junction. One with a muzzleloader and the other with a rifle. In both cases the deer was on a head on course directly to me and it was apparent that I wouldn't get anything resembling a broadside opportunity.

The muzzleloader deer hunched up, turned, back tracked walking, and tipped over 60 yards later. I struck no bone on that deer so I don't think he got that big adrenaline dump.

The other was with a rifle. I struck spine right at the base of the neck and he never took another step.

In both situations, I made the decision to take that shot early (80ish yards out) in the deer's approach to flatten my shot angle (tree stand) and allow that bullet to wreck as many organs as possible before exiting. Once a deer gets to say, 30 yards and in, I've got a pretty steep trajectory through the body cavity and wouldn't feel comfortable making that shot until he turned or passed.

Hduke86

So what's the difference really in shooting at a deer doe or buck that's not perfectly broadside with a bow. No where as steady, no scope, way way slower. I see no difference in people slinging carbon sticks at 40-50 yards at deer. You definitely are not as steady with a rifle and definitely not as able to "pin point" a shot as you are with a rifle. I can guarantee that more deer die slow deaths from infections or gut shots never to be found with a bow cause someone can hit a target relaxed in their backyard at 40-50 yards with a bow but not in the woods. Deer move more with a bow shot than a rifle being shot at 40 yards. If you can't make a 40 yards head shot with a rifle. Dare I say you need to go to the range before heading to the woods.

Jcalder

So what's the difference really in shooting at a deer doe or buck that's not perfectly broadside with a bow. No where as steady, no scope, way way slower. I see no difference in people slinging carbon sticks at 40-50 yards at deer. You definitely are not as steady with a rifle and definitely not as able to "pin point" a shot as you are with a rifle. I can guarantee that more deer die slow deaths from infections or gut shots never to be found with a bow cause someone can hit a target relaxed in their backyard at 40-50 yards with a bow but not in the woods. Deer move more with a bow shot than a rifle being shot at 40 yards. If you can't make a 40 yards head shot with a rifle. Dare I say you need to go to the range before heading to the woods.
You're trying to hit a baseball on a moving target vs hitting a volleyball on a moving target. That's the difference

deerhunter10

More questionable shots are taken by gun the bow by far. Almost daily someone is needing a dog. Just because of shear numbers. Of course bad shots happen but they are atleast taking ethical shots. What happens of I deer moves their head just a little? Next thing you know you blew their jaw off and the deer will never be recovered. Risk vs reward is not there regardless of what you think your skill is.

Snake

Throat punch coming ...🤣

Hduke86

More questionable shots are taken by gun the bow by far. Almost daily someone is needing a dog. Just because of shear numbers. Of course bad shots happen but they are atleast taking ethical shots. What happens of I deer moves their head just a little? Next thing you know you blew their jaw off and the deer will never be recovered. Risk vs reward is not there regardless of what you think your skill is.
What IF a deer jumps a string and you slice it's guts open with a bow? We can play the WHAT IF game all night. If you don't have confidence in YOUR ability I suggest you refrain from squeezing the trigger.

Latest posts