Coyotes only take the sick and weak ???

Kelljp

backyardtndeer

Yep, horrible way for an animal to go. They hunt in packs and they can and will take down healthy adult deer. They should have shot the yotes. With what I know about deer yote interactions, not sure I could have just sat there hearing a deer carry on.

megalomaniac

Coyotes are hell on ALL deer, but esp fawns. We wiped them out since last year, but just had 3 show up last week. One of them came running to vocalizations in 2 min.... 2 more to go. Never ending battle, but it IS possible to keep their numbers low enough where you can minimize damage to your deer and turkeys... bit it is a year long battle and a LOT of work. This is no 20 on my farms for 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_143642_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_143642_Messages.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 34

DeerCamp

Coyotes are hell on ALL deer, but esp fawns. We wiped them out since last year, but just had 3 show up last week. One of them came running to vocalizations in 2 min.... 2 more to go. Never ending battle, but it IS possible to keep their numbers low enough where you can minimize damage to your deer and turkeys... bit it is a year long battle and a LOT of work. This is no 20 on my farms for 2023
My neighbor is a professional trapper by trade. We put a whoopin on the predators around here this summer.

Have seen more turkey poults this year than any other I can remember.

chris1976

Trapped 39 the last two winters on my 300 acres. They are quickly replaced and it's an uphill battle.

knightrider

Popeye!!! Good shot!

megalomaniac

Trapped 39 the last two winters on my 300 acres. They are quickly replaced and it's an uphill battle.
Agreed...

But I've always heard that it won't make a difference calling or trapping as they are replaced as fast as you kill them. That is NOT true. Shooting one here and there won't make a dent, but if you are dedicated and consistent, killing new dogs as they move in (multiple cell cams) can absolutely make a difference. Not just a difference... but a complete 180 degree difference in recruitment. I've gone from a 10 to 20% fawn recruitment to a 50-60% fawn recruitment in just 2 years. Yes, it's an uphill battle, but it's a battle than can be won (although it has to be fought constantly).

Latest posts