Do You Take Coffee to the Stand?

rsimms

Many (or most) deer hunters, especially serious buck hunters, go to crazy lengths over "scent control." Special clothes, special soap, always hunting the wind and walking crazy routes to the stand to avoid crossing anticipated travel lanes.
And then there are those who love a steaming hot cup of very odoriferous coffee in the stand - an odor which is bound to be extremely foreign to deer.
Do you carry a thermos of coffee to the stand? If so, are you not concerned about spooking deer with your hot coffee? If not, why not?
(Beware, your answer might be used in a pending story I write. Give me your name, if you wish, PM's fine.)

UPDATE: Here is the resulting article. Thanks for all the feedback: https://newschannel9.com/sports/out...ing-hunters-rifle-shotgun-aroma-scent-control

coffee.jpg

Last edited:

LenS

I almost always take a thermos of coffee to the stand, especially if it is a combination of cold morning and a planned long sit. The only time I have knowingly spooked a deer with coffee is by accidently clanging the thermos against the side of the stand. However, I have pulled the trigger several times when I had to put the coffee down and pick up the rifle. I do use a mug that has a closeable top, so that does help with controlling the scent as well as keeping the coffee warm.

Coffee at 7 AM while in the deer stand is one of the great joys of life!

hoghunter65

I do, I have an ORCA coffee cup with a closeable lld, it fits tight with an O ring, you slip the lid open get you a sip then close it back, doesn't seem to bother them. I fill it at the truck, don't take a thermos to the blind.

backyardtndeer

I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, and am on decaf now due to my heart. I don't believe that coffee is an offensive odor to deer, and I don't think they associate it with humans. My wife and I both in the past have taken coffee with us to the stand/blind and never had deer spook over it that I know of. Matter of fact, one year she took a thermos with her and shot a buck right after opening the cap to pour herself a cup.

Nowadays more coffee just means having to pee more, so both of us try to limit how much we drink before going.

ImThere

I do. I carry a small thermos with coffee in it. It could spook a deer but if I done my homework it won't be the deer I'm after. I hunt mobile on public land and other than carrying the extra weight I haven't had an issue that I'm aware of. Key words being "That I'm aware of"

kaizen leader

Many (or most) deer hunters, especially serious buck hunters, go to crazy lengths over "scent control." Special clothes, special soap, always hunting the wind and walking crazy routes to the stand to avoid crossing anticipated travel lanes.
And then there are those who love a steaming hot cup of very odoriferous coffee in the stand - an odor which is bound to be extremely foreign to deer.
Do you carry a thermos of coffee to the stand? If so, are you not concerned about spooking deer with your hot coffee? If not, why not?
(Beware, your answer might be used in a pending story I write. Give me your name, if you wish, PM's fine.)

View attachment 202626
Life is good. Good luck.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I never have. When I started hunting I was exclusively a bow hunter, and it just didn't seem like a good idea. Plus I always had to climb the tree (climbing stand) each hunt as I usually hunted a different tree each hunt. I drink coffee before I leave the house, or if I'm hunting a different property than my own, on the drive there.
My thinking on coffee in the stand nowadays would be that it probably wouldn't scare a deer any more than my regular human scent, so it would be fine to do. I just don't do it cuz I never have and don't even think about it.

Rammer Jammer

If I'm hunting in the mornings, I've got coffee with me. My last trip didn't turn out too good. Got in the blind before daylight, getting setup and heard what sounded like water running out of something…. Turns out it was my coffee that had turned over and spilled everywhere 😂🤦🏼‍♂️

Oh and I like a little creamer so the smell of caramel coffee was pretty stout 😂

Latest posts