What weapons do you take on the hunt?

KPGman710

I've been going down the internet rabbit hole on hunting and there's so many different recommendations on what all you should bring weapon-wise. One person suggested just the hunting rifle and a pistol for quick dispatch if needed. Another suggested a rifle and a shotgun with buckshot. And yet other guy said he takes a long small bore rifle for the mark, a large bore SBR in case something comes after him like a bear, AND a pistol for quick dispatch (that seems a bit excessive to me).

As far as weapons go, what do y'all go out with and for what game?

I'm looking at building out an AR with a 20" .223 Wylde barrel and then just taking my EDC pistol.

backyardtndeer

Being that this is posted in the deer hunting forum, I am going to go with what I take deer hunting. Rare I bowhunt anymore. I carry whatever rifle I plan to hunt with for that day. Last couple years I have hunted with a dpms platform 6.5 creedmoor that I built. I never used to carry a pistol during deer season, but might start.

I used to hunt with my accura during muzzleloader season and even some during rifle season, but since being put in cwd zone, I have been using a rifle.

iowavf

In Iowa, you want to make sure the weapon you carry is legal for the season you're hunting or you could lose that weapon and pay a large fine if caught. I don't use my shotgun anymore so will have my 450 and 44 mag revolver. Sold my ML so just carry my 44 mag for late ML since the 450 isn't legal.

ImThere

Depends! I went on a pig hunt on a military base where they change open zones daily. Which changes what is a legal firearm for the pigs.
Last time i carried and I yugo you not:
2-22 mag
1-17wsm
1-308
1- 12 slugger
1-muzzle loader
1-bow
Had a great time. I killed one with my 308. Some one else killed one with my 22 mag. We had a great time

Latest posts