Would you take the shot?

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Here's the scenario. You're in a ground blind with a .30-06 staring head-on into the eyes of a doe about 40 yards away. Your shot options are front center chest or a head shot. Assuming you can't pull off a shot as she's turning, what do you do? Deal with the consequences of a cheat shot, attempt a head shot, or let her move on?

Hduke86

I'll go against the grain here with the options. Shooting sticks and you're steady at 40 yards. I'd take a mid neck shot any day of the week at 40. Heck I'll ruffle some feathers cause I really don't care, I'm confident enough in my shooting ability IF IF IF I have my rifle on a rest to take a head shot at 40. Id probably aim at the throat patch area more than likely.

Remi

1701009813403.jpeg

I'm putting it right there.

MUP

After thinking on this, I was reminded of a scenario similar to this I faced in ML season of 2010. I had a good 8pt in my cross hairs and had to wait on him to turn for the better shot. I was totally focused and ready. He was on alert and I knew he was about to turn to leave, and when he took that first side step and turned I was ready and fired. Got heem. 😀 this was at 80 yards or so tho.

backyardtndeer

After thinking on this, I was reminded of a scenario similar to this I faced in ML season of 2010. I had a good 8pt in my cross hairs and had to wait on him to turn for the better shot. I was totally focused and ready. He was on alert and I knew he was about to turn to leave, and when he took that first side step and turned I was ready and fired. Got heem. 😀 this was at 80 yards or so tho.
Yep. Have had to do the same, or pick out a spot that's clear out ahead of the deer and wait for him to step into the opening.

Snake

View attachment 204932

I'm putting it right there.
That was where I shot my last buck. Don't like that shot because a couple inches to either side you've got a maimed deer and likely never find it . But a true shot will drop them like a sack of taters . Only shot I'll take if the deer is alerted to me otherwise I'll wait for the trusty broadside shot .

Snake

I'll go against the grain here with the options. Shooting sticks and you're steady at 40 yards. I'd take a mid neck shot any day of the week at 40. Heck I'll ruffle some feathers cause I really don't care, I'm confident enough in my shooting ability IF IF IF I have my rifle on a rest to take a head shot at 40. Id probably aim at the throat patch area more than likely.
@rem270 will throat punch you for taking a head shot 🤣

Latest posts