When to get in your stand

Lost Lake

I used to get in waaay earlier than I do now. These days, I tiptoe into my stand sites and try to be settled in about fifteen minutes before shooting light. If I'm going to spend extra time on stand, I'll add that time in at the end of the morning hunt by staying an hour later and have shooting light, rather than get there an hour early.

backyardtndeer

30 mins prior to legal shooting time.
Pretty well my goal most of the time for my morning sits had been 30 minutes before legal light. I have been getting in a little earlier this year due to wanting to be in my stands before anyone rides their side by side in on the farm behind me. Last year I was settled in and listened to them ride in. Nice when they bump deer to you.

Afternoon hunts, it really depends. Right now, I would be in the stand as early as possible. The buck I killed last Wednesday was cutting across the middle of my little field at 4:20 in the afternoon.

Crappieaddict

I don't hunt until rifle opener. I always have great intentions, but the warm cabin and hot coffee usually gets the best of me, so about five minutes before legal light. Bad thing, the stand is only a couple hundred yards from my door.

deerhunter10

15ish minutes before sunrise. Depends on the evening and weather sometimes real early sometimes just a couple hours before sunset. Used to get in the stand early an hour early won't do that no more. I want my scent to be as minimal as possible without be being able to see.

Ski

I pretty rarely go in before daylight. I spooked too many deer I couldn't see so I started going in no earlier than shooting light and it's worked out really well for me. Same with walking out. About a third of the bucks I've killed in recent years were from the ground as I was going in or out.

Something else that I think makes a difference is the ground scent. When walking in the dark I brush against lots of bushes and briers that I wouldn't if I could see to side step them. Not a big deal if I was rifle hunting at distance from a blind or preset stand, but when bowhunting inside thickets ground scent matters a lot.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Not as early I used to . I used to always shoot for at least 1/2 hour before daylight.Now days I just plan on hunting at least 3 or 4 hours from when I get there.If I'm running late or a slow gentle rain It's time to walk and stalk my way in.

tntrkkllr

I'm in at least 15 min b4 shooting time or at shooting time because of my work schedule and I can shoot them walking in also and during afternoon hunts I'm always in around 1-2 pm since time has changed now

UTGrad

1 hour before sunrise which equals 30 minutes before legal shooting light.

Afternoons I like to be in stand no later than 2 hours before legal light ends. Often I'm in the stand 3 + hours before end of legal shooting light.

mike243

I found a spot and was really excited about at least a hour early if not a little more, had a owl hit me 2 times before daylight, almost got both eyes on first hit along with nose, 2nd time seen something against the stars that made me duck, 4 holes in the top of my head, hat saved me first time and luck the 2nd time. Hat hit the ground on first hit so I left it down there. I had put my face mask on and suspect it was seeing my eyes flashing white, I'm sure he thought I was a squirrel, I now hate owls and bet they taste like chicken lol. never seen the first deer but sometime after 10 a hawk flew over and screamed, the owl came out of the top of a tree about 40y away, I might of shot it had I known. I think my screams were heard for miles 😂 I now plan 30 minutes or less

C1295

I try my best to be in at least an hour before sunrise I have spooked a lot of deer coming in any earlier... but that's just me it really just depends on the deer movement in the area you are in.. and the pressure how likely you will loose your spot the later you wait.

Omega

I used to get in my stand about 30 minutes before legal shooting time, but have also just hunted my way in. I usually come off stand about 30 minutes before legal shooting time ends, but an hour prior I start being choosey about the shot, I hate tracking at night.

Latest posts