When you love your children....

bowtechgump

We all will kill deer and some will kill big bucks......but it is always best to see the prize and hand it off.....if even to never get it but given to a stranger.

Attachments

• 20171030_082922.jpg
    20171030_082922.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 220

bowtechgump

When you let deer walk by you hoping that your children will get to kill them......not the "I let them walk to get bigger or a year older" but solely to hope that your children will honestly kill them. I guess it breaks down the battle with SeekOne, THP and Catman. I quit "hunting" when my boys grew old enough to hunt themselves. I wanted to see them learn and kill big deer too. The image is one deer that was given a pass in hope that my boys would be able to kill him. Point is that killing a big buck is not the important thing.......the passing of the torch is......I have heard (just like all of you over 40) about the times when there were no deer here (TN and KY). Remember in the early 90's when it was 7 bucks a year?

mike243

I passed a really good deer a few years ago in the hopes that my buddy encore06 would get a chance to take him, never been in that position before but just as soon as I seen him I knew I wasn't shooting, I had taken a buck already and he hadn't. as far as I know none of us seen him again, that's hunting. I still don't regret it. I have had the opportunity to be with him when he got a buck several years back and it's always great even being on the side lines, son and grandson have both taken deer due to my friendship with him and Stalkhunter. Hopefully all of us will have a good season with chances to take deer and make memories. Always remember something that might not mean much to us might mean a lot more to other folks. It's not always love of family but love of other folks in general.

Last edited:

fairchaser

Often passing up deer that you could have shot and maybe should have creates more of a memory than killing one, regardless of the reason.

I will also say, saving a deer for another kid or friend to shoot rarely works out. Deer are wild animals and roam over large areas. The odds are very slim another designated hunter will be in the right place at the right time.,

agelessssone

Often passing up deer that you could have shot and maybe should have creates more of a memory than killing one, regardless of the reason.

I will also say, saving a deer for another kid or friend to shoot rarely works out. Deer are wild animals and roam over large areas. The odds are very slim another designated hunter will be in the right place at the right time.,
Did that in WVA years ago.
Sneaking along a ridgetop, saw a bedded six point. He was just off of a trail that my buddy Al was hunting 300 yds away and facing in that direction.
I called AL and told him to be alert, I was going to try to scare the deer his way.
It worked like it was scripted, I spooked the deer, it ran across the meadow, on the trail, strait to AL, one shot dead deer.

backyardtndeer

I have done that a few times, and twice had the deer get shot by a tresspasser on the neighbor where I had sole permission. Also have passed some with hopes my wife would get an opportunity, only to have her tell me if I saw the deer again to kill it. Twice that has happened that I later on ended up killing the deer I had passed in prior encounters.

Topshelf

When you let deer walk by you hoping that your children will get to kill them......not the "I let them walk to get bigger or a year older" but solely to hope that your children will honestly kill them. I guess it breaks down the battle with SeekOne, THP and Catman. I quit "hunting" when my boys grew old enough to hunt themselves. I wanted to see them learn and kill big deer too. The image is one deer that was given a pass in hope that my boys would be able to kill him. Point is that killing a big buck is not the important thing.......the passing of the torch is......I have heard (just like all of you over 40) about the times when there were no deer here (TN and KY). Remember in the early 90's when it was 7 bucks a year?
I see and understand where you are coming from now.

Latest posts