Whats your best way to cover your scent?

mossyoakmantn

I live in northern Robertson county and right now every barn around me is smoking with tobacco in it. I've hot a buddy of mine (and neighbor) who has a barn fired right now. That barn blows its smoke right I to my hunting area so I figured in get in all my hunting stuff and step in the barn for a few minutes (poking my head out occasionally so I don't die lol). So far it seems to work. How about yall?

Attachments

• 20230924_064542.jpg
    20230924_064542.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230924_072040.jpg
    20230924_072040.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230924_064537.jpg
    20230924_064537.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230924_064533.jpg
    20230924_064533.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 57

Trnr

Nothing other than cedar limbs in the plastic totes that my clothes are in. There are cedars near all my stands. I have also been known to step in fresh cow pies on the way to my stands.
I thought I was the only one who purposely stepped in poo 😂. Lots of horses/riders on the WMA I hunt so there is no shortage of horse manure to freshen my boots with haha

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I live in northern Robertson county and right now every barn around me is smoking with tobacco in it. I've hot a buddy of mine (and neighbor) who has a barn fired right now. That barn blows its smoke right I to my hunting area so I figured in get in all my hunting stuff and step in the barn for a few minutes (poking my head out occasionally so I don't die lol). So far it seems to work. How about yall
There has been many a Deer shot while wearing clothing that smells like a campfire. Back before cover scents and scent free it was the most used cover scent.

Shanman

I'm a scent freak unfortunately and couldn't tell you the times I've seen Scentlok work. BUT!!!….. I still play the wind if at all possible. My biggest concern is clean clothes and my breath, I always where a Scentlok face cover. Not trying to fool their nose, just trying to make my scent seem several hours old. Makes a huge difference in my honest opinion.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Nothing other than cedar limbs in the plastic totes that my clothes are in. There are cedars near all my stands. I have also been known to step in fresh cow pies on the way to my stands.
I have used Cedar shavings in a lot of ways. Boil them and make a spray. Put them in old socks to wash and dry clothing. Same thing for storage Socks or Hose filled with shavings. I hunt on the ground a lot these days and will usually have some kind of blind in the Cedars.

recurve60#

I've seen feist squirrel dogs smell and wind track squirrels that were 40 ft up a tree and go right to the tree then start hammering and that's just a 1lb squirrel. Now imagine a 180 lbs man. I don't think it's possible to "cover" your scent from a deers nose except to be upwind of him.
Thank you.

mossyoakmantn

I've seen feist squirrel dogs smell and wind track squirrels that were 40 ft up a tree and go right to the tree then start hammering and that's just a 1lb squirrel. Now imagine a 180 lbs man. I don't think it's possible to "cover" your scent from a deers nose except to be upwind of him.
180lb man 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I haven't been 180 since the 5th grade 🤣

fairchaser

I have used a bee smoker with pine needles to smoke my clothes and deer stand. It works to cover human scent but puts deer on the alert but they get over it and move on.

Harold Money jr

Had a roommate in college that swore by BRUT aftershave. He'd spray down from head to toe. No matter how cold it was I drove or rode with the windows down when he had that junk on. He killed a pile of deer while wearing it, I guess that was the original nose jammer. I believe we can't fool their nose, all we can do is try to keep 'em upwind. I just think some deer tolerate human scent more than others and whatever someone is using or believing in scent control seems to get the credit.

Latest posts