What power do you set your scope?

PalsPal

I'm in the stand and bored, and just turned my 3x9 scope down from 9 to 6 as I'm hunting thick woods where any shots will be maybe 50 yds max.

Just curious what others do. I know most probably turn them to the max when expecting longer shots, but does anyone use the lower settings?

Outdoor Enthusiast

I'm in the stand and bored, and just turned my 3x9 scope down from 9 to 6 as I'm hunting thick woods where any shots will be maybe 50 yds max.

Just curious what others do. I know most probably turn them to the max when expecting longer shots, but does anyone use the lower settings?
For whatever reason I tend to leave mine on the highest power and turn it down as needed.

Remi

Pretty rare mine go above 5x. I use quite a few fixed at 2.5x and 4x. I have one 6x swfa that I'm liking quite a bit near to far. 50yds is a stretch for me.

I have some 6x Kowa binos I scan the woods with.

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 67

UTGrad

I keep mine on 3-4x almost exclusively. Wider FOV to see the deer's reaction at the shot and a larger exit pupil to allow my eyes to take in all the available light.

Google "Scope exit pupil and low light". You'll see why lower magnification is best in low light.

I have a 3-18 power scope and zoom to 6x to shoot 500 yards at the range. I only zoom to 18x to shoot 1000 yards or sighting in at 100 yards.

Too many people, myself included in the past, zoom up close with a variable power scope and as soon as they touch off the shot, they have to come off the gun to see the deer.

It's better to shoot at low power and follow through the shot staying on the gun and watching through the scope.

Latest posts