Whats your best way to cover your scent?

Ski

I believe we can't fool their nose, all we can do is try to keep 'em upwind. I just think some deer tolerate human scent more than others and whatever someone is using or believing in scent control seems to get the credit.

I believe that's the truth. With a nose better than a bloodhound, we might fool ourselves but we aren't fooling them.

Cotis

Had a roommate in college that swore by BRUT aftershave. He'd spray down from head to toe. No matter how cold it was I drove or rode with the windows down when he had that junk on. He killed a pile of deer while wearing it, I guess that was the original nose jammer. I believe we can't fool their nose, all we can do is try to keep 'em upwind. I just think some deer tolerate human scent more than others and whatever someone is using or believing in scent control seems to get the credit.
He might have got a deer, but I doubt he ever got a lady 😂

utvolsfan77

I've seen feist squirrel dogs smell and wind track squirrels that were 40 ft up a tree and go right to the tree then start hammering and that's just a 1lb squirrel. Now imagine a 180 lbs man. I don't think it's possible to "cover" your scent from a deers nose except to be upwind of him.
Maybe I misunderstood you. Don't you really mean that you want to have the deer upwind of you? If you are upwind of deer, your scent will normally be blowing down to the deer and alerting them to your presence. That is totally opposite of what you normally want to happen.

CrossVolle

I do not think you can. No matter what you do.. Deer smell on a molecular level. By that i mean, they do not smell the cookies in the oven. They smell every single ingredient you put in those cookies individually.

Rackseeker

I don't try to cover my scent. I try the best I can to eliminate any foreign scent on myself and gear. Its impossible to do but helps. Most places I hunt I don't worry about wind direction but do hunt the thermals. I think a hunters breathe is what gives us away more than anything.

WilcoKen

Clean clothes, play the wind and use a locally made scent cover called White Oak Whiskey.
I went to Shines White Oak cover but WOW is what I prefer. Where did you get it? Every time I go to their site I can't get it to check out in the cart.

1984dog

I live in northern Robertson county and right now every barn around me is smoking with tobacco in it. I've hot a buddy of mine (and neighbor) who has a barn fired right now. That barn blows its smoke right I to my hunting area so I figured in get in all my hunting stuff and step in the barn for a few minutes (poking my head out occasionally so I don't die lol). So far it seems to work. How about yall?
Other than using the wind to your advantage, here are my best scent control thoughts:
1) Always use the wind to your advantage. If the wind is > 10 mph, stay out of the woods as they are easily spooked and tend to stay bedded down. Ignore the wind during the rut.
2) Evercalm - I put this on my boots and walk in. I have had mature bucks walk right down my path and may does cross my path without alarm. This stuff is good!!
3) Ozonics - I picked one of these up used about 8 years ago and I am truly amazed of how effective they are. I'm on my 2nd unit now itching to upgrade. Very pricey, but a drop in the bucket compared to the money you spend on other deer hunting equipment.
4) Scent blocker spray on my clothes
5) Drink only water on the stand - you would be surprised to see how deer react to coffee or a Mountain Dew
6) watch your mouth. All the spray in the world will not cover up your bad breath.

dawghater23

my grandpa would bury his clothes about a month before the season....looking back now it don't make a whole lot of sense after the first time he wore em, haha. but hey, it's what was available I guess.

Me personally, I just use the spray and hunt the wind. I don't think we can trick em or cover our scent.

I have one buddy who might have em beat. He built blinds of out cedar harvested from their land. Sounds to me like the best plan for those hunting stationary stands over food plots, etc. on private land.

DeerMan66

I went to Shines White Oak cover but WOW is what I prefer. Where did you get it? Every time I go to their site I can't get it to check out in the cart.
I found 2 bottles in a store last year. I still have 1. I just went their website and it wouldn't let me check out either. I sent a message to them theough their website. The guys that own WOW live in Soddy Daisy. Maybe they will respond to the message. If they do I will let you know.

WilcoKen

I found 2 bottles in a store last year. I still have 1. I just went their website and it wouldn't let me check out either. I sent a message to them theough their website. The guys that own WOW live in Soddy Daisy. Maybe they will respond to the message. If they do I will let you know.
I used Shine's Saturday and had a small buck slightly down wind. I kept waiting on him to bolt but he never acted like he smelled me. That said-I still prefer WOW.

Latest posts