Stand to ATV Distance

DeerMan66

I have a question for everyone. How close to your stand do you park your ATV when hunting. I'm usually 200 to 600 yards depending on which stand I'm hunting. What brought this up is I rode my ATV in to check a camera one day. The camera is 80 yards from my stand. I pulled up checked the camera, changed batteries and used my card reader to view the pictures. That probably took 5 to 10 minutes. Then I decided to walk on out to the stand and remove the seat and blind. This is open harwood. I walked about halfway, 40 yards, to the stand and jumped a doe that was feeding about 10 yards from my stand. I assumed riding the ATV to within 80 yards of the stand would've cleared the area but it did not. That has me wondering if I should be parking closer to where I intend to hunt or was that a fluke. Thoughts?

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I was hunting one time watching a spike, when my neighbor rode by within 50 yards of him. The deer just held still until he passed, and the resumed his activity. I think it depends on how often they see an atv and if it is goi to pass by them they don't spook.

deerhunter10

Our side by sides stay up unless we are recovering deer or we will pick someone up with deer in front of them. Years and years ago we used to use them a ton and we noticed when we quit using them we had a whole lot more success as far as kills and just seeing deer. Just what we do. I am looking at an electric bike for some of our far away stands.

backyardtndeer

I am fortunate enough to be able to walk to all my stands. I need the exercise anyway.

Couple weeks ago I watched someone ride in on the property behind me. It was dark, I couldn't see where they went after they got out of their side by side, but a couple hours after light I watched several deer pass within maybe 10 yards of his side by side. I know they had to see it, and probably smelled it, but they didn't seem bothered by it. I know these deer see side by sides fairly often, and I am also pretty certain that a couple around me carry their "deer corn" in their side by sides. If deer in your area are used to seeing them, may not hurt to park close by.

PickettSFHunter

I don't allow them within the borders of my properties during season unless it's going to pick up a deer. If I have to walk a mile or two, I just walk. The sound can really carry in the mountains. I know people that ride right up to where they are going and do just fine, I just personally don't like the noise.

rem270

Both of my places I have easy access so walking it is. I did used to hunt a big cow farm that had rolling hills. I could park at the bottom of a ravine and walk up the hill 100 yards or less to my stand and they never knew it was there.

JeepKuntry

My atv sat in my truck and was only used to retrieve deer. I would use it in the off season for trail maintenance and fertilizer.

Gravey

There are a few stands within walking distance of our camp but most you have to use an ATV to get there (our lease is 800+ acres). We typically go through the gate that accesses the stand and park then walk from there. The closest stand is probably 150-200 yards and the farthest is about a 15-20 minute walk taking your time. I don't want to be in an hurry and sweating like a pig by the time I get there.

Snake

If I'm going up the ridge or over it I'll ride half way up . The first stand maybe a 100 yards from the place I park others over the ridge maybe 400 yards . I've seen deer after they've passed where I park . In Giles one day hadn't seen a thing as I was about to get to my four wheeler there was a doe right beside it , go figure . If I hunt down low where it's easy flat walking on my property I don't even unload unless I kill something.

MUP

I've kilt some big deer after my cousin came thru later in the morning while I was already in the stand. I used to use the 4 wheeler to drive down closer, but now I park my truck after getting inside the woods a bit and walk. I still don't have to walk more than 400 yards tho to any stand I have.

Smo

My 4 wheeler doesn't seem to bother them….

22B4BC8F-F6B9-442F-AADB-84CF23E7243C.jpeg

It's the tractor they show concerns for…

74C1D7BC-21CC-463F-AAC4-5596805FFDAF.jpeg

😁😎🤣

DeerMan66

Sounds like most walk in as I do. I normally walk 200 to 600 yards. Even at that distance I'm considering getting some green led lights to mount on my ATV to use while driving to where I normally park. I am also considering a muffler silencer to reduce the noise.

Lost Lake

I leave mine in the equipment shed until needed for deer retrieval. Hopefully it'll be several more decades before I'll need one to get right up to a stand, but I'd sure do it if I had to.

I usually walk 20-30 minutes to get to stands. Sometimes less.

Latest posts