Camouflage for climbing stand

Rackseeker

Anyone have any ideas to camouflage a climber once up the tree? I hunt a couple areas it is next to impossible not to get noticed. I know I'm getting skylighted. Thinking about some sort of netting or something along those lines. Post up any ideas or pics if you have them. Thanks

TboneD

I used to get picked off in my Summit Viper. Not exactly sure why. You'd have to ask the deer. Last year I hunted with it a lot I fastened autumn foliage branches from Hobby Lobby to the front corners of the stand. Some guys swear by 3D die cut camo hung down from the top section. I've just never tried it.

Four years or so ago I went to a Summit MINI Viper that is 4" shorter both top and platform and forces me to sit up and pay attention. Dont think I've got busted in it but maybe once or twice so far. I think minimizing movement and keeping yourself tucked close to a decent size tree that's as close as you can find to cover is what's important. And oh yeah, I quit climbing quite as high as well. That can actually get you picked off more unless the deer are close, especially after a lot of the leaves have fell.

Rackseeker

I used to get picked off in my Summit Viper. Not exactly sure why. You'd have to ask the deer. Last year I hunted with it a lot I fastened autumn foliage branches from Hobby Lobby to the front corners of the stand. Some guys swear by 3D die cut camo hung down from the top section. I've just never tried it.

Four years or so ago I went to a Summit MINI Viper that is 4" shorter both top and platform and forces me to sit up and pay attention. Dont think I've got busted in it but maybe once or twice so far. I think minimizing movement and keeping yourself tucked close to a decent size tree that's as close as you can find to cover is what's important. And oh yeah, I quit climbing quite as high as well. That can actually get you picked off more unless the deer are close, especially after a lot of the leaves have fell.
I only have issues in a couple spots I hunt. I'm going to work on something that I can move from climber to climber.

TboneD

I only have issues in a couple spots I hunt. I'm going to work on something that I can move from climber to climber.
Sounds like you've got a couple of spots that just don't have any good trees with cover to climb. If that's the case I don't know if hanging camo off the top section or fastening limbs will help. I'm afraid it might just present more of a profile up there that the deer aren't used to.

Rackseeker

Sounds like you've got a couple of spots that just don't have any good trees with cover to climb. If that's the case I don't know if hanging camo off the top section or fastening limbs will help. I'm afraid it might just present more of a profile up there that the deer aren't used to.
Yes that is the case. The bucks don't seem to might but those nosey ole doe are the problem.

TboneD

Yes that is the case. The bucks don't seem to might but those nosey ole doe are the problem.
Now it was both with rifle but I killed both my bucks on the ground this last season, both inside of 50 yds. So don't rule out sitting tight to a big tree or something, whether you make a blind of sorts in front of you or not. I'm really looking forward to hunting on the ground some with my crossbow come fall.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I hunt out of a Summit Goliath. I've noticed that once hunting pressure is persistent I need to get 30-35ft to prevent getting occasionally busted. I mainly hunt the side of the mountain so I have several variables that come into play. I tend to hunt travel corridors more than feed sign to prevent this as well.

Wildcat

I had that problem in several places. I use camo burlap around the shooting rail and back then someone came up with some "fake branches" with leaves. I bought a set and placed them behind me and to the sides, you could bend them any way you wanted. Together they did help break me up.

DMD

Back to the original question, I've often thought of using a piece of burlap type material for my climber, really haven't run into a spot I couldn't move my stand to keep from being skylighted. I know it material like that works great with a ladder stand.

TboneD

What the heck does this even mean?? Daniel Boone didn't wear camo, or have insulated boots, or have little Debbie cakes to eat in the woods, or a scope on his rifle, or a gps, or pickup truck to drive to his hunting spot, or a comfortable bed to sleep the night before a hunt, or a coffee maker to make his coffee for a hunt, or binoculars, or a padded cushion to sit on his stump. All of these are new phenomenon that Daniel never had. 🙄
Nah, I think you might've missed his point. Antler Daddy was saying Daniel Boone might not have even killed a deer from a tree since RackSeeker asked for help in getting busted from his tree stand in particular spots. Only RackSeeker didn't say why he had to climb a tree and Antler Daddy has hunted long enough to know that tree stands are over-rated.

I sort of feel like Barbara Billingsley from that scene in Airplane where she interpreted jive but since I've hunted a while as well I think I know what he meant and hope that helps! 😂

Last edited:

DMD

Nah, you missed his point altogether. Antler Daddy was saying Daniel Boone might not have even killed a deer from a tree since RackSeeker asked for help in getting busted from his tree stand in particular spots. Only RackSeeker didn't say why he had to climb a tree and Antler Daddy has hunted long enough to know that tree stands are over-rated.

I sort of feel like Barbara Billingsley from that scene in Airplane where she interpreted jive but since I've hunted a while as well I knew what he meant and hope that helps! 😂
I might be really stupid, but I don't think I missed his point at all. Rackseeker asked about a good way to camouflage his tree stand. Antler King injected his unrelated (to the original question) answer that Daniel Boone never used a treestand and neither has AK for the last 35 years....so, he was letting us know that he's a purist for sitting on a stump and there's no advantage ( in his mind) to tree stand hunting. I thought his post was pretty clear. My point, in my previous post, is what does that have to do in any way whatsoever with the original question?

Last edited:

DMD

Here's a fact...more hunters would be alive and out of wheelchairs if they never climbed trees. Basically same amount of deer would have been killed.
Most shooting accidents occur while hunting from the ground and there is no way you can know if the same number of deer would be killed without treestands. But, honestly, it doesn't matter to me. Everyone is free to hunt any legal manner they want to. I'm happy for you and everyone else. Just don't put down my legal, chosen method of hunting. What works for you, might not be best for me. There are literally scores of factors involved. And, when someone asks a question about camouflaging a tree stand, just contribute a pertinent answer or move along. That's all. No need of backhand criticism of someone's chosen method of legal hunting.
I don't mean to be an arse, and I am very confident you are a good dude. To each his own.

Rackseeker

I think I have something figured out. May have to make some changes as I go. Just thought someone on here may have something they use and would save a little time. As far as hunting off the ground, I do some by hunting off a bluff or big rocks. 95% of the mature bucks I take is out of a climber.

deerhunter10

Here's a fact...more hunters would be alive and out of wheelchairs if they never climbed trees. Basically same amount of deer would have been killed.

In your case, you probably need all the advantages you can muster. Tree stand hunting is just one step removed from baiting. Give the deer a chance up close and personal.

Full of wild takes tonight