Stand help

tntrkkllr

One of my lock on stands is in need of new cables and I need recommendations for new cables or would i be able to use chain?? It is an old stand ( I can't remember the brand ) but it's my favorite lock on so I would like to fix it before I put it back up! Thanks for any help!

tntrkkllr

THIS ^^^^^
Galvanized or stainless steel chain. I have done all my lock-ons this way........ after one of my cables broke while I was in my stand. Thank goodnes for my life lines and safety harness.🙏 Use a stainless steel washer and bolt to attached the chain to the stand.
would the chain that you can use for a porch swing work? It's galvanized

tntrkkllr

It's really according too how big a boy ya really are….😎
I've used doubled air craft cable before, but I was much thinner then too…
i might be able to use it in only 180 lb and if it can hold a swig up with someone in it I'm assuming it can hold me, I might test it before I hang it! I do wear my harness to be safe but rather not take a chance using the stand until I put something on it because I do know it is not good any more

Coker

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5413.jpeg
    IMG_5413.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 41

Kmushrooman

Yeah that porch swing chain is going to give out on you. Get something beefier or you are going to find out if your safety harness works. I have always wondered how you get down from a tree when you are hanging in the harness? I am a ground hunter. Spent many days in a tree stand but gave that up. Don't need anymore screws or plates than I already have.

tntrkkllr

Yeah that porch swing chain is going to give out on you. Get something beefier or you are going to find out if your safety harness works. I have always wondered how you get down from a tree when you are hanging in the harness? I am a ground hunter. Spent many days in a tree stand but gave that up. Don't need anymore screws or plates than I already have.
Going to get some welded chain for sure! And I hope I never find out how to get out of a tree dangling from safety harness haha

Coker

Why not just go back with factory replacement cables, that were designed for the stand?
Because the cable will eventually wear out. Galvanized or SS chain will last longer than the stand itself. If I bought a new lock on stand, I would immediately replace the cable with chain. Plus, the factory cable comes with a rubber material over the cable which keeps you from seeing any rust or worn out spots. Therefore, most folks don't know when their cable needs to be replaced. Chain ,IMO, is the best way to go.

Latest posts