Help w/stand placement

lafn96

Just got access to a large property that has a ridge running through it for over two miles. Pic is of the side of the ridge and it's steep. I'll have to enter from somewhere on the left side, and likely the lower left corner. I'll hunt more in the evenings, but will be out there mornings as well. This is a steep south facing ridge, so I'm guessing I need to hang my stands with thermals in mind? There's quite a few large white oaks that are loaded in there, the yellow squares are rough locations. I was thinking of using the white pin in the lower left in the evenings, and the upper white pin for mornings? Will be for all seasons, but I'm sure I'll adjust the stand location as I learn more about the deer movement patterns for that area.
onx stand .jpg

Snake

First and foremost try and find bedding areas then that may determine your entry . Good looking areas won't be good if you bust them each time entering. Once you figure out that then find your stand locations . You may have to hunt it a couple times to figure out how the thermals flow . We know thermals rise in the mornings and settle in the evenings but how that will effect your hunting areas may take time. How they flow with a western wind , eastern wind and so forth . Basically by looking at the terrain you may figure that out once you know how the deer move from bedding to feeding areas. There should be known game trails especially in the ridge areas . I'd set up on one of those especially in a saddle area , hanging stands on different sides determined by the wind. Good fortune on your new area brother looks good from what I see.

Last edited:

Ski

Your markers look like good spots to begin. But really without scouting the property in person it's going to be hard to know exactly what's going on. Just NW of the top white pin going toward the blue pin it appears there may be a drainage with abrupt sides??? If so then right at the top of it will be a narrow trail where they skirt around the drainage rather than crossing it. Would be near one of the most likely bedding spots near the knob so you'd have to be careful getting in but if you can that would be an outstanding pinch point to hunt. Bucks will circle under that knob, skirt the top of that drainage, and follow the contour line around below the crest of that saddle.

lafn96

Found a small rub and a decent sized scrape with a licking branch over it near the lower left pin, and put up a trail cam on it. First pic from it this morning. Looking for his big brother, but encouraging that I know there's at least 1 buck visiting that.

9.14 6pt ridge buck.jpg