Camouflage for climbing stand

TboneD

I might be really stupid, but I don't think I missed his point at all. Rackseeker asked about a good way to camouflage his tree stand. Antler King injected his unrelated (to the original question) answer that Daniel Boone never used a treestand and neither has AK for the last 35 years....so, he was letting us know that he's a purist for sitting on a stump and there's no advantage ( in his mind) to tree stand hunting. I thought his post was pretty clear. My point, in my previous post, is what does that have to do in any way whatsoever with the original question?
I'm sincerely sorry if it seemed I was talking down to you. It was just obvious you misunderstood what he was trying to say. You were the one that listed off all the advanced hunting gear and technology that Daniel Boone didn't have, right?

Harold Money jr

this doesn't really answer your question but, I can't remember the last time I was busted when climbing a double or triple tree. I climb on of the trees and turn my climber to where the corner of the platform touches or almost touches the other trunk. They just don't see you at all for some reason.
Btw I got busted 3x this year by big bucks while I was hunting "light pole" trees with no real back ground cover. I get wanting to camo better.

TboneD

I think I have something figured out. May have to make some changes as I go. Just thought someone on here may have something they use and would save a little time. As far as hunting off the ground, I do some by hunting off a bluff or big rocks. 95% of the mature bucks I take is out of a climber.
Shot my biggest buck yet Sunday after Thanksgiving at 2 pm. I'd just sat down in my stool in a blind constructed of dead timber one side of a gigantic stump. Of course probably not 200 yds away is the hickory I was 20 ft up where I killed my best racked buck Nov of '22. Just depends on the spot whether I'm gonna climb a tree or not.

Even with a climber you can do what's already been suggested and fasten extra limbs to trees where need be. Artificial Christmas tree limbs are best because they'll last a while. Couple years ago pre-rut, though, I felt exposed in a spot. Climbed down and quickly cut several sapling limbs from the transition line where I expected shots might be. Then I bound them with some para cord and hauled them back up the tree to lash them angled down to one side of me to give me some background cover.

Football Hunter

In your case, you probably need all the advantages you can muster. Tree stand hunting is just one step removed from baiting. Give the deer a chance up close and personal.

You do seem like an arse. I thought these were campfire conversations not a school lecture. I'll raise my hand next time before I speak.
tree stand hunting is one step from baiting? what a self righteous terd

Rakkin6

Anyone have any ideas to camouflage a climber once up the tree? I hunt a couple areas it is next to impossible not to get noticed. I know I'm getting skylighted. Thinking about some sort of netting or something along those lines. Post up any ideas or pics if you have them. Thanks
Hunters Specialties makes a skirt that I really like. Have been using it for years. I just stuff it in my seat cushion and carry it in and attach it when I get up there. It is not see through at all and has two pockets on the inside for you to put a water bottle, range finder, blest, grunt call etc. They aren't huge but you can fit a few things in there.

TboneD

I might be really stupid, but I don't think I missed his point at all. Rackseeker asked about a good way to camouflage his tree stand. Antler King injected his unrelated (to the original question) answer that Daniel Boone never used a treestand and neither has AK for the last 35 years....so, he was letting us know that he's a purist for sitting on a stump and there's no advantage ( in his mind) to tree stand hunting. I thought his post was pretty clear. My point, in my previous post, is what does that have to do in any way whatsoever with the original question?
DMD, I want to apologize again. I try to judge each post on its merits before I reply but you evidently saw something I didn't see.

TboneD

In your case, you probably need all the advantages you can muster. Tree stand hunting is just one step removed from baiting. Give the deer a chance up close and personal.

You do seem like an arse. I thought these were campfire conversations not a school lecture. I'll raise my hand next time before I speak.

You don't think our ancestors ever used elevated stands to their advantage? Listen, I'm not suggesting you need to raise your hand to speak. Tell you what I would suggest, though. It would be helpful if you would pause and think before insulting so many folks on here.

recurve60#

I think I have something figured out. May have to make some changes as I go. Just thought someone on here may have something they use and would save a little time. As far as hunting off the ground, I do some by hunting off a bluff or big rocks. 95% of the mature bucks I take is out of a climber.
Go a little higher. Not much to do other than that.

Rackseeker

Go a little higher. Not much to do other than that.
I'm around 28' now and can't go any higher. This is a spot I only hunt a couple times a year. The weather has to be just right to even hunt it. A loc-on in the fork above where I stop climbing would probably be better, just brush it in and leave it. But I can't hunt out of a loc-on, I just don't feel safe.

deerhunter10

I'm around 28' now and can't go any higher. This is a spot I only hunt a couple times a year. The weather has to be just right to even hunt it. A loc-on in the fork above where I stop climbing would probably be better, just brush it in and leave it. But I can't hunt out of a loc-on, I just don't feel safe.
Thats high. Is it a ridge where they are getting eye level with you and picking you off? Or just getting sky lighted bad? If you know your high and you add back cover to it and just climb to the same spot everything.

recurve60#

You're plenty high unless there is a hillside above you. Nothing should spot you.

Rakkin6

I hunt has high has I can, I hunt public land so depending on the area I may sit in a tree I have never sat in before. I try to keep it at about 20' for now and about 25-28' for gun. I judge by my gear rope. It is 30' in length so I can guesstimate by how much slack I have before it starts catching my rifle or bow on the ground.

Last edited:

Rackseeker

Thats high. Is it a ridge where they are getting eye level with you and picking you off? Or just getting sky lighted bad? If you know your high and you add back cover to it and just climb to the same spot everything.
Just getting sky lighted bad. Its a grown up creek bottom with not many trees. Its a intersection of about 6 trails. Its a spot I can get to quick from my house on days I don't have time to go to the hunt club. Deer around here walk around looking up during season.