Sick sick sick - UPDATE

Lt.Dan

Well this one doesn't have a happy ending. Guy got there with the dog this morning and we worked for 2 hours and no luck. If he's alive I'm not sure how but here's the lesson learned…if you see one lay down and think he's gonna die go ahead and shoot him again even if you're not sure you can get through the brush he's in. One thing's for sure if you don't send another at him you have zero chance of hitting him. I'd love to go back in the next day or two and look for buzzards but am an hour and a half away and probably not possible.
Had that happen a few years ago. I tracked heavy blood for 302 yards, then nothing for another 30 yards. One drop of blood after that. Called a tracker, dog couldn't find the deer. But, I ended up with a happy ending. Caught the deer on camera the next spring with a scar on both sides of him. He survived. So, as someone said earlier, a single lung hit can be survived. Let's hope that's the case since you were unable to recover your deer. Sorry man. I know how you feel and I know you will lose a lot of sleep over this loss. It happens to the best of us (not that I claim to be one of the best).

MUP

Well this one doesn't have a happy ending. Guy got there with the dog this morning and we worked for 2 hours and no luck. If he's alive I'm not sure how but here's the lesson learned…if you see one lay down and think he's gonna die go ahead and shoot him again even if you're not sure you can get through the brush he's in. One thing's for sure if you don't send another at him you have zero chance of hitting him. I'd love to go back in the next day or two and look for buzzards but am an hour and a half away and probably not possible.
It happens to anyone who hunts long enough buddy. As has already been said, don't beat yourself up over it, just try to figure out what you might do differently next time, (which sounds like you already have ;) )

preachermantom

Sorry to hear that…I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back…I did not take shot either and it cost me too. Learn and move on and don't beat yourself up over it….it happens! Go get another!

Grizzly Johnson

I sure was hoping you would find him… it happens and it doesn't feel good. Keep hunting for him, should he survive, you may get another crack at him later in the season.

DMD

I'm sure sorry, but as others have said...it has happened to all of us and if we live long enough, it will happen again. We are all right there with you.

Gravey

Looks like he's still alive. I'd love to kill him but if not hope one of the guys I hunt with does so I'll know exactly what happened.
Image-1.jpeg

Latest posts