Sick deer biology question

Methane

I killed a doe today. Looked healthy, but there was a tumor or cyst the size of a half golf ball on the top of her nose, at the transition where the black nose meets the hair.

After cleaning the deer, which looked healthy on the insides, I looked in her mouth. Her tongue was partially lime green in color, thick green saliva dripping out of the mouth, the roof of her mouth was almost black, and she had no teeth other than about 10 small teeth on the lower front jaw. I'd say she was 90 to 100 pounds.

My question is, any idea what's wrong with the deer? Also…safe to eat?

catman529

Roof of the mouth is usually black on deer. And the green was probably from eating green stuff before you killed her. I killed a buck one time with a cyst on his face, but the meat was fine. The cyst was straight nasty but was localized and didn't spread anywhere.

Oh and she had more teeth, they're further back in the jaw. I will cut down the cheek on most deer I kill just to guess the age based on tooth wear.

Methane

Thanks Catman. I never really look in their mouths, but the cyst piqued my curiosity. She was browsing just before I killed her, so that was definitely browse stained saliva. Thanks.

BSK

Deer don't have upper teeth in the front. Their only upper teeth are the molars and premolars much farther back in the mouth.

Latest posts