CWD Update from Fox

Bear15

When it jumps the species barrier, it will concern me to eat untested venison, until then I'm not concerned. There's nothing yet that has been shown to stop it. It will be in every county here eventually and it's not the end of the world. Look at the states that have had it around for 20+ years. Wisconsin is still a top Booner producer and a destination whitetail state as are many others. Until I see something different from it I'm not gonna worry about it…….. I bet the NPS doesn't try to kill everything in that section of Yellowstone either, maybe I'm wrong.

fairchaser

How long have humans eaten CWD infected deer before testing was a thing?
Agree, but I wonder sometimes what time and chance can produce. It just takes that one human that has a susceptible gene and happens to consume a CWD infected animal and get the disease. Probably one in a billion but may create a panic resulting mass extermination of all cervids.

MUP

Agree, but I wonder sometimes what time and chance can produce. It just takes that one human that has a susceptible gene and happens to consume a CWD infected animal and get the disease. Probably one in a billion but may create a panic resulting mass extermination of all cervids.
I'm sure the govt is working hard to see that it comes to fruition! ;)

Wiley

Killing off the deer herd will never stop what lives in the ground. I think a lot of us are in agreement on that.

On a sorta side note..... Alabama deer hunters begged for decades to be allowed to hunt deer over bait. The DCNR said they would never allow it because it was widely accepted that bait congregated deer and in turn spread CWD once it got started. Fast forward to when CWD was 'discovered' in TN. The very next season Alabama legalized baiting........ for a $15 per hunter baiting permit. Reckon what the driving force for legalizing bait was?

DoubleRidge

So are the prions detectable in the meat?

Or are they even present in the meat?

If so...why are we allowed to transport meat from CWD areas into non CWD areas?

If not...with deboning the meat...what is the concern of a human getting it from eating meat?

Article says that eating meat from CWD-infected animals poses a risk for monkeys (as well as coming in contact with brain or body fluids from infected deer or elk also poses a risk.)

So is this to suggest the prions are in the meat?

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Any article that has a title of "Zombie deer disease" is just clicks bait and I refuse to open it. I doubt any self-respecting scientist you'd allow them to publish something they wrote with that title.
No doubt...the word "zombie" gets clicks.
People have a fixation on death, destruction, disaster and disease...bad news gets clicks.

I'm more interesed in a scientific understanding of CWD...not the Hollywood Zombie Deer description.

Like....are prions detectable in meat?

The article suggest they are?
I have my doubts....but if they are detectable in the meat then what good are current transport regulations?

Ski

No doubt...the word "zombie" gets clicks.
People have a fixation on death, destruction, disaster and disease...bad news gets clicks.

I'm more interesed in a scientific understanding of CWD...not the Hollywood Zombie Deer description.

Like....are prions detectable in meat?

The article suggest they are?
I have my doubts....but if they are detectable in the meat then what good are current transport regulations?

As I understand it no, prions are not detectable in meat until the final stage of sickness which is when it kills the deer.

Also, prions aren't a living germ like viruses or bacteria. That's why they can't be killed or immunized against. They are an inanimate protein that the deer reacts to. I'm not completely understanding how it works exactly but it seems almost like the deer are allergic to it more so than it attacks them.

And apparently it somehow replicates. No idea how that happens and haven't heard a real good explanation for it. I don't know if it reproduces or if the deers genes replicate it. Being inanimate would mean it can't self perpetuate so there must be a source of creation. Otherwise it couldn't spread. It would only wander. That's one huge question I've had the entire time but haven't heard a definitively clear, concise explanation. There might be one but I've not heard it yet.

DoubleRidge

As I understand it no, prions are not detectable in meat until the final stage of sickness which is when it kills the deer.

Also, prions aren't a living germ like viruses or bacteria. That's why they can't be killed or immunized against. They are an inanimate protein that the deer reacts to. I'm not completely understanding how it works exactly but it seems almost like the deer are allergic to it more so than it attacks them.

And apparently it somehow replicates. No idea how that happens and haven't heard a real good explanation for it. I don't know if it reproduces or if the deers genes replicate it. Being inanimate would mean it can't self perpetuate so there must be a source of creation. Otherwise it couldn't spread. It would only wander. That's one huge question I've had the entire time but haven't heard a definitively clear, concise explanation. There might be one but I've not heard it yet.
Add "how does something thats not living replicate?" to the list of questions surrounding CWD....interesting.

kaizen leader

It has been a known fact that the biggest threat to humanity biological.

Latest posts