CWD a hoax?

MidTennFisher

I don't think it's a total hoax but I do think it is quite exaggerated or states like Wisconsin would have very few deer. They have horrible CWD issues, and have for over 20 years. Deer farms all over the place exacerbate the issue. Yet they have one of the highest deer densities in the US. Despite extreme hunting pressure as well.

My opinion is still the same. Extended, liberal limits rifle seasons in "CWD zones" are worse for the deer than CWD is.

hammer33

I don't think it is a farce. I think it has been turned into a "crisis we can't let go to waste" . Years from now when CWD has lost its punch and we are onto whatever the next big government money making crisis is, I believe the way CWD has been handled will be exposed as one of the great failures of modern conservation.

WanderingNomad

WI Deer Population.png
ChartImg.png
By no means am I a CWD expert but my question would be that if CWD is contagious, spreading by deer to deer contact then how does WI have more deer now than they did back in 2008 with half the state showing some form of CWD detection..I would expect a decline in population due to exponential spreading and the harvest numbers..

rem270

I don't think it is a farce. I think it has been turned into a "crisis we can't let go to waste" . Years from now when CWD has lost its punch and we are onto whatever the next big government money making crisis is, I believe the way CWD has been handled will be exposed as one of the great failures of modern conservation.
You summed it up really well. Definitely not a hoax but the way Tennessee has treated it has been ridiculous. Look at other states, mainly western states that have CWD and went about their normal business. Some deer die from it and some live from it.

7mmWSM

I've still yet seen where a single deer died from CWD. Plenty have tested positive after they were shot. Where is the dead deer they found and tested??? Deer get sick just like humans and die from multiple causes and then some. I get it that CWD is here but I'm not getting where they say it's as bad as they make it out. I honestly feel like TWRA and those on the CWD bandwagon are doing more damage to the herd then the disease is.

MidTennFisher

I've still yet seen where a single deer died from CWD. Plenty have tested positive after they were shot. Where is the dead deer they found and tested??? Deer get sick just like humans and die from multiple causes and then some. I get it that CWD is here but I'm not getting where they say it's as bad as they make it out. I honestly feel like TWRA and those on the CWD bandwagon are doing more damage to the herd then the disease is.
Good question. Why aren't we seeing dead deer lying all over the place in West TN? Not hit by a car, not killed by a coyote, not one that was shot but not recovered. Just plain dead then tested and found CWD to be the culprit.

I'll further my question, why don't we see this not only in TN, but in the ~30 other states that have CWD? I'm sure it happens on occasion but if CWD were as bad as we're being told, we'd have dead cervids all over the US. Just laying around dead with no physical injuries.

mike243

Also they are known for things other than row crops I'm pretty sure so now what?

Last edited:

Latest posts