CWD

JeepKuntry

Well I am down hunting in Grand Junction, 0 sightings this evening. Typically we see at least 10 deer each set. I am debating whether it's weather related or if cwd truly has diminished the herd. Those who regularly hunt the cwd counties have you seen a decent decline the past 1-2 years?

fairchaser

Well I am down hunting in Grand Junction, 0 sightings this evening. Typically we see at least 10 deer each set. I am debating whether it's weather related or if cwd truly has diminished the herd. Those who regularly hunt the cwd counties have you seen a decent decline the past 1-2 years?
Yes, there is a decline but also it's too early and too warm. Cameras are showing most activities are at night.

Andy S.

Weather is definitely not in your favor right now. Minimal acorns dropping where I am at. Do you have any persimmons, muscadines, cut corn fields near by? The deer are where the food is, and a lot of their feeding is happening at night with this summertime temperature pattern we are in. Good luck remainder of your trip.

bowhunterfanatic

Wouldn't worry too much yet. I was one county east of you yesterday and only saw one doe. Warm temps and 0 wind is never going to produce much movement.

tntrkkllr

All my hunting places are in positive cwd areas and there is no decline in the herd. Acorns are dropping good in fayette and hardmen counties that is a huge factor in deer movement if your not on the hot feed trees deer movement is going to be minimum. Also the hot weather and east winds don't help at all. Once this front comes in next week the movement will get a lot better.

JeepKuntry

We all know after 40 years of other places having cwd, the herd is decimated to nothing in 5 years or less🙄.
I wasn't implying that. But I can personally say I have seen less deer over the past 5 years. Many days seeing 10-20. I didn't see many acorns. The fields were soybeans but they have been cut already. I assume from it being dry. I saw 3 does, all in the open. Next time I can get back is mid December so it should be better.

Jcalder

I wasn't implying that. But I can personally say I have seen less deer over the past 5 years. Many days seeing 10-20. I didn't see many acorns. The fields were soybeans but they have been cut already. I assume from it being dry. I saw 3 does, all in the open. Next time I can get back is mid December so it should be better.
What you're seeing is the results of the twra regulation change. Not the herd dying off in significant numbers because of disease

BSK

Has there been a reduction in hunters in the cwd zones? The reason I ask is I have a friend with 90 acres near Hatchie Bottoms and he stopped hunting it for deer because of CWD.
Yes, there has been a reduction in hunters, although finding an exact number would be very difficult without the TWRAs help, and I'm not sure they would give it.

Jcalder

There was a massive decline prior to the implementation of CWD regulations in the area close to Grand Junction that I have hunted.
Maybe so, but it wasn't cwd. Cwd has been in other parts of the country far longer than it's been here, and their herd is doing just fine, and possibly even past the nuisance stage. Most cwd deer will die from another cause, before cwd itself kills it.

Andy S.

This. There are less deer. Because the TWRA has been trying to kill them all off in the CWD Zone.
What you're seeing is the results of the twra regulation change. Not the herd dying off in significant numbers because of disease

I'm not buying current CWD regs have made much of an impact in recent hunting seasons, and I live and deer hunt in Unit CWD, and have for the past 20 years (Unit L then Unit CWD). As so many have stated before, just because TWRA liberalizes the regs does not mean hunters will take advantage of it. There has been several posts on this with supporting data over last few years (one post below), and one quick summary of data I compiled this morning. The extremely liberalized harvest opportunities have been in place last four years while the annual kill numbers have DECREASED, when compared to those same counties being in Unit L (2006-2018), with fewer hunter opportunities, and a month shorter deer season. I suspect this RECENT decrease in overall harvest is more directly related to Unit L assault on does for 15 years, some impacts from CWD, and more importantly hunters abandoning these CWD counties and hunting elsewhere in last few years. Very few hunters have any desire to kill a doe in Unit CWD these days (compared to just 10 years ago, doe harvest is 1/2 what it once was), so one would think herd numbers would be on the rise, or busting at the seams in pockets, but that is not what I am seeing in some areas that have prime ag/hardwood habitat. I am seeing reasonable herd numbers, but nothing overly impressive when it comes to deer sightings per hunt, trail camera data, etc, like some of my buds see in other States.

Unit CWD - Will Numbers Actually Decline

1696507075308.png

Last edited:

Latest posts