CWD

kentuckylakebuck1

Well I am down hunting in Grand Junction, 0 sightings this evening. Typically we see at least 10 deer each set. I am debating whether it's weather related or if cwd truly has diminished the herd. Those who regularly hunt the cwd counties have you seen a decent decline the past 1-2 years?
dont drink the koolaid

SinningSaint33

Numbers down a little in my area. I assume it's because last year I didn't go a trip without seeing at least 5 and up to 30. I assume the farmers in the area got depredation tags. Been hunting there 15 years. Usually about every 4 years I see a decline in numbers. This in AG land. Thousands of acres of crop fields nearby.

DoubleRidge

Who said anything about sudden?
Ok...fair enough....change the wording from "significant and sudden" to "massive decline"....I think Ski's point was EHD can cause a significant decline in a localized deer herd...especially given the number of drought periods we've experienced in recent years...I've read several reports from Perry and Hickman countys from JCDeerman and others where EHD knocked their deer numbers way down in previous years....just a possible explantion and a discussion about what your experiencing.

Andy S.

I assume the farmers in the area got depredation tags. Been hunting there 15 years. Usually about every 4 years I see a decline in numbers. This in AG land. Thousands of acres of crop fields nearby.
Very plausible theory for a sudden decrease in deer sightings. It happens more than some want to believe. In Unit CWD, I am "pretty sure" any landowner can contact TWRA and request a permit to kill deer until March 31 (not a depredation permit per se), and can add names of friends and family that can also legally deer hunt on that tract of land until March 31. Of course, TWRA coordination and approval is required, but it has happened in 2021 and 2022 here in SW TN (Unit CWD).

DoubleRidge

Very plausible theory for a sudden decrease in deer sightings. It happens more than some want to believe. In Unit CWD, I am "pretty sure" any landowner can contact TWRA and request a permit to kill deer until March 31 (not a depredation permit per se), and can add names of friends and family that can also legally deer hunt on that tract of land until March 31. Of course, TWRA coordination and approval is required, but it has happened in 2021 and 2022 here in SW TN (Unit CWD).
I guess with these special permits there are no requirements to track or report the number of deer killed? If so...the harvest numbers, in these units, could be skewed? I have no idea? Never participated in the process? Just curious?

Andy S.

I guess with these special permits there are no requirements to track or report the number of deer killed? If so...the harvest numbers, in these units, could be skewed? I have no idea? Never participated in the process? Just curious?
Correct, no "official" tagging on the app per se, but landowners/hunters/participants do have to keep a tally sheet of sorts to provide to TWRA itemizing/summarizing their kills, if requested. Basically work it one on one with your county warden. From my limited exposure, most of the ones I know who requested and were granted this additional 8 weeks of deer hunting opportunity, very few actually utilized the extra time afield or killed any/many deer. Bottom line, most hunters have had enough come January 1, and very few have the desire to keep shooting/messing with deer Jan-Mar. Sure a few here and there may kill a deer or two, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall kill in Nov/Dec.

CBU93

Ok...fair enough....change the wording from "significant and sudden" to "massive decline"....I think Ski's point was EHD can cause a significant decline in a localized deer herd...especially given the number of drought periods we've experienced in recent years...I've read several reports from Perry and Hickman countys from JCDeerman and others where EHD knocked their deer numbers way down in previous years....just a possible explantion and a discussion about what you're experiencing.
Granted, I need more context to the narrative here. For four years prior to the announcement of CWD positive results, annual population decline on one property in the hot zone (~3400 acres) by 40 to 50% annually by hunter observation and camera census. Still relatively high population on the property as compared to others across the state so hunter success in line with management plan was aligned…announcement of CWD positive in that county connected certain dots, the following years test results from that property's harvests confirmed the presence of CWD by 100 percent positive results first year of mandatory testing.

Ski

Granted, I need more context to the narrative here. For four years prior to the announcement of CWD positive results, annual population decline on one property in the hot zone (~3400 acres) by 40 to 50% annually by hunter observation and camera census. Still relatively high population on the property as compared to others across the state so hunter success in line with management plan was aligned…announcement of CWD positive in that county connected certain dots, the following years test results from that property's harvests confirmed the presence of CWD by 100 percent positive results first year of mandatory testing.

Those are extraordinary stats. 3400 acres is a big chunk. Do you know how many deer were tested?

CBU93

Those are extraordinary stats. 3400 acres is a big chunk. Do you know how many deer were tested?
iIRC first year following CWD going "public", 20 deer 100% positive.

Second year, 12 harvests, 100% positive.

Third year, 6 deer total (hunter participation dwindled as this was not a club but privately held ground hunted by permission). Of the six two yearlings killed on a youth hunt tested negative, the other 4 were positive.

Following the two negatives, there was some hope from the landowner so the management went to archery only…hoping to rebuild the herd 😳

This is my experience and I don't thin CWD will eradicate the deer herd into extinction in our lifetime…but it definitely can have an absolutely disastrous impact on localized, self sustaining herds on given properties.

Everyone compares West TN to other areas in f the country and says it didn't wipe out deer out there….true, but the ecological variables in a Southern deee herd is vastly different from mid western, western, or even northern herds. Different habitats, different subspecies.

Closest I would compare is AR. They have had CWD for several more years than TN, and it seems somewhat contained in just a few counties last I checked.

Ski

I don't thin CWD will eradicate the deer herd into extinction in our lifetime…but it definitely can have an absolutely disastrous impact on localized, self sustaining herds on given properties.

I won't argue that certain spots will likely bare the brunt of the disease. That's a given. Good news is the reports from recent years is that some deer are genetically resistant to CWD and that it will have tentatively killed off all the genetically vulnerable deer by 2050, leaving a population that is almost entirely resistant. It seems nature is taking the reigns and handling it for us.

CBU93

And airplane travel is statistically the safest form of travel, but that doesn't help me if I am on the plane that is crashing now in the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Everyone compares West TN to other areas in f the country and says it didn't wipe out deer out there….true, but the ecological variables in a Southern deee herd is vastly different from mid western, western, or even northern herds. Different habitats, different subspecies.
I guess everyone compares West TN to other areas in the country because many of those areas have had CWD for decades and many of those who make the comparision have hunted those areas for years so the comparision is only natural. I've never read about the ecological variables in a southern deer herd verses a mid-west or northern deer herd in relation to CWD....interesting.

Ski

And airplane travel is statistically the safest form of travel, but that doesn't help me if I am on the plane that is crashing now in the Atlantic Ocean.

And just like with CWD, it is what it is and there's nothing anyone can do about it but assess the damage when it's over, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ski

I guess everyone compares West TN to other areas in the country because many of those areas have had CWD for decades and many of those who make the comparision have hunted those areas for years so the comparision is only natural. I've never read about the ecological variables in a southern deer herd verses a mid-west or northern deer herd in relation to CWD....interesting.

Nothing about the deer nor the habitat in TN make them unique or special as it relates to CWD. It kills indiscriminately. I've never heard anything but rumors why west TN got hit with such a concentrated dose of the disease.....or if it's even true. I'm curious as to what happens with the biologist who's suing TWRA and accusing the organization of false reporting with grossly inflated numbers of positive results. If what the biologist says is true then it's likely CWD is not nearly as rampant in west TN as we've been led to believe, and in reality would be on par with everywhere else - hence not special. He claims there have only been a small handful of 100% confirmed positives and they all came from one small area, not all the counties listed in the "unit-CWD".

CBU93

And just like with CWD, it is what it is and there's nothing anyone can do about it but assess the damage when it's over, unfortunately.
Enjoyed the conversation fellas, but I'm out…gave up any degree of serious deer hunting a couple years ago so it really doesn't matter that much to me. I will continue to hunt this affected property on occasion and my own smaller property where I 100% control every aspect I can while turning my attention to golf, fishing, and other hunting pursuits. Best of luck to y'all this year…carry on.

DoubleRidge

Nothing about the deer nor the habitat in TN make them unique or special as it relates to CWD. It kills indiscriminately. I've never heard anything but rumors why west TN got hit with such a concentrated dose of the disease.
I've heard the rumors and assumptions but have read very little published material on the topic of how CWD arrived...while I wish I'd never heard of CWD...it is interesting to discuss and try to learn what we can going forward.

Latest posts