More CWD in MS

megalomaniac

None of the 'new' areas were real surprises... as they were fairly close to known CWD endemic areas....

except 1... Harrison county. That's all the way down on the gulf coast and probably 150 miles away from the nearest prior known positive. That one is a head- scratcher. I know of a couple high fences down there, but mostly for exotics (red stag, fallow, muflon sheep, etc)

Antler Daddy

Prions found in the scrapes...that is interesting.

I swear I believe you can find it anywhere now if you test enough. It is like that calcium score test vs. stress test for heart disease.

MickThompson

Hmmm buck showed no signs. Imagine that🤔
Not saying the symptoms were or weren't there, but...

How often do any of us observe a deer we intend to shoot for long enough to determine their neurological status? How many of us are qualified to evaluate wildlife for neurological decline?

Personally, I'm shooting a shooter as soon as I get a shot and often that's less than a minute after first contact.

TNCharlie

I swear I believe you can find it anywhere now if you test enough.

Yes. That does not mean that it isn't spread in all the conventional ways. But (my opinion) the prions exist in many places (I dare say most).

Now I have not tried to research this, but the thought just occurred to me. Does the test distinguish between the malformed CWD-causing prions and normal ones? Or does it just determine that those prions are present, malformed or not?

TNCharlie

Got an answer to my question from a source that knows about such things.

A lymph node is tested using an "antibody that specifically binds the misfolded prion will turn a dark color if the misfolded protein is present. This dark color can be seen under a microscope."

DeerCamp

My guess is it's everywhere and has been for as long as deer have existed, to some degree. We're only testing for it now. The more testing we do, the more we'll find it in new places.
I don't think it's everywhere. We have tested a lot of deer in non CWD counties and those counties have been consistently negative.

DeerCamp

Jcalder

Nearly every county in Tennessee. You can search the result here. Even counties around Knoxville are testing double digits.

I've never seen a testing request in my area is the reason I asked. Nor heard of anyone doing it.