CWD Found in Kentucky

rem270

Last year there were many days of the mandatory check stations. This year, I was told from a very reliable source that they run out of money for all of this. It was dropped down to 3 days during rifle season. The Sat, Sun, Mon of the first 3 days. The county it was killed in wasn't even in the 5 high risk counties. What an idiot to bring it over and voluntarily have it checked. Makes no sense. Hopefully Ky will be smarter than TN and not get stupid with this.

SEC

Last year there were many days of the mandatory check stations. This year, I was told from a very reliable source that they run out of money for all of this. It was dropped down to 3 days during rifle season. The Sat, Sun, Mon of the first 3 days. The county it was killed in wasn't even in the 5 high risk counties. What an idiot to bring it over and voluntarily have it checked. Makes no sense. Hopefully Ky will be smarter than TN and not get stupid with this.
Big difference in a 1 buck limit and a limited rifle season vs over 3 solid months of earn a buck. You better pray Ky handles this better.

rem270

Big difference in a 1 buck limit and a limited rifle season vs over 3 solid months of earn a buck. You better pray Ky handles this better.
I can promise you if one I ever killed tested positive they would never get the truth of where it was killed at. No way they're setting up on my property and killing every one they see.

fairchaser

In spite of all the efforts of wildlife officials to slow the spread ( where have we heard this before) CWD has spread and will continue to spread throughout all of whitetail habitat.

Is it crazy to just let it spread so that it gets to a natural solution? Have we really slowed it down? I'm not sure. The deer will find a way to survive and the subspecies that has a natural ability to fight the disease will become dominant and replace the others.

I'm reminded of the King Canute who said that no man can hold back the tide. Are we close to a cure? If the whitetail herd is to become extinct (hopefully not) then it will be replaced by something else.

SEC

In spite of all the efforts of wildlife officials to slow the spread ( where have we heard this before) CWD has spread and will continue to spread throughout all of whitetail habitat.

Is it crazy to just let it spread so that it gets to a natural solution? Have we really slowed it down? I'm not sure. The deer will find a way to survive and the subspecies that has a natural ability to fight the disease will become dominant and replace the others.

I'm reminded of the King Canute who said that no man can hold back the tide. Are we close to a cure? If the whitetail herd is to become extinct (hopefully not) then it will be replaced by something else.
My argument is very few bucks live to see there 3rd birthday anyhow. Hunting is by far the #1 cause of death to the whitetail deer. With the current unit cwd regulations most bucks aren't living to see there 2nd birthday in my neck of the woods. So whats the point. The 30/06 is far deadlier than cwd as far as I can tell.

Ski

Whitetails aren't going extinct. In fact there are reports of certain deer having genetic resistance to CWD, meaning they don't get it. If CWD killed every vulnerable deer, there'd still be deer to repopulate the species.

fairchaser

mike243

I would hazard a guess that deer farms for trophy hunting have spread it much faster than mother nature ever could, deer farms should have been stopped years ago imo. Tn will get the blame for it no matter what is found out, also when did testing ever begin in both states? what triggered the testing? lot of stuff at play and hard to point a finger at any 1 item, so much has been said and posted you can't separate the shat from the truth these days, rumors myths and flat out lies tend to be believed as truth takes a back seat and everybody loves a good conspiracy lol

Stumpsitter

I'm pretty sure I read an article several years ago about CWD being in the elk & mule deer heard out west. If I remember correctly They didn't have a big culling like Tn. They let it naturally occur with the hopes of natural immunity being the most likely outcome.
I'm not 100% sure about the whole article, I pretty certain it was well before TN ever had a problem when I read the article and not sure of the source.

TNCharlie

Call me crazy. I've been called much worse.

It is my belief that CWD has not and does not spread. CWD is caused by a prion that just simply exists - like a rock. The reason places appear to be "CWD free" is because that area has not been tested. It "pops up" in these widely separated areas when testing is done in those areas. It's here, it's there, it's everywhere.

It's not that CWD just began in 1967(?). It has always existed (opinion). It was only discovered and identified in 1967.

Latest posts