Food Plots Well... how much did you get?

BSK

Most of my plots look considerably better after that last rain, but the deer are hammering them so hard I don't think they are ever going to get more than lip-high this year.

JAD

I planted 10/8 in dust. Got about 1/2 inch of rain on 10/12 and another 1/2 inch 10/25. Wheat, rye grain, and clovers. Where possible, I disked in the grains, and in the rougher spots, I covered best I could with a chain harrow. The covered grains are coming up great, but any laying in top are doing nothing. By now usually they send out that little white root, and start to grow. I guess it's just too dry on top for that. The deer are keeping the sprouted stuff mowed to the dirt! Not ideal, but better than nothing considering the conditions this year. My first time trying rye, and it seems to be doing better than the wheat planted spots.

BSK

I planted 10/8 in dust. Got about 1/2 inch of rain on 10/12 and another 1/2 inch 10/25. Wheat, rye grain, and clovers. Where possible, I disked in the grains, and in the rougher spots, I covered best I could with a chain harrow. The covered grains are coming up great, but any laying in top are doing nothing. By now usually they send out that little white root, and start to grow. I guess it's just too dry on top for that. The deer are keeping the sprouted stuff mowed to the dirt! Not ideal, but better than nothing considering the conditions this year. My first time trying rye, and it seems to be doing better than the wheat planted spots.
I too was surprised by how little of the top-sown wheat germinated after the last rain. Lots of it laying on the surface still. It might still germinate with warm temps, but odd...

lafn96

Where you covered with the chain harrow, did that germinate? I overseeded twice in the last six weeks and none of that has germinated. During those six weeks got just under a half inch of rain two times; about 3 weeks apart

JAD

All the seed that was covered seems to have sprouted well. Just the stuff on top is doing nothing. I've top sowed wheat in the past, and it always did pretty good.

DoubleRidge

Well.....I was looking forward to checking on a few plots this weekend to see if they had germinated yet or not.... doesn't sound like I've got much to check on yet?...but there's still time.

I did do a little experiment....last Monday coming in house after sowing last plot I went to empty my pockets and found a handful of wheat in left front pocket from bag seeder.....so as a gage I went out on front porch and found one of my wife's flower pots that she'd already cut dead flowers from and I sowed the wheat seed and watered it..... checking daily to see germination time.

BSK

I'm just hoping we haven't had enough warm weather after the rains. This weekend, with additional rain, and next week should be the real test. Wet ,warm weather, and if doesn't germinate in that, it's not going to.

megalomaniac

Well...

We finally planted my plots today in south MS. Most were already disked. Just had to spread seed, then used a section of chain link fence as a drag behind. The dirt was POWDER (we have had less than .1in rain in past month and less than 1.5in past 8 weeks). The good thing about the dirt being powder... they looked like a pro did them with just a simple drag of the chain link. Any clods were completely broken up into fine particles. excellent seed coverage. Bad thing about powder dirt... it was a dustcloud and I better ill be blowing dirt out of my nose for the next week.

Supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow...

tellico4x4

Well...

We finally planted my plots today in south MS. Most were already disked. Just had to spread seed, then used a section of chain link fence as a drag behind. The dirt was POWDER (we have had less than .1in rain in past month and less than 1.5in past 8 weeks). The good thing about the dirt being powder... they looked like a pro did them with just a simple drag of the chain link. Any clods were completely broken up into fine particles. excellent seed coverage. Bad thing about powder dirt... it was a dustcloud and I better ill be blowing dirt out of my nose for the next week.

Hope you get it

BSK

Well...

I know exactly what that's like. When I tilled my plots this fall, at times I couldn't see the ground from the tractor. Just I giant cloud of dust.

Couldn't read the gauges on the tractor from the dust:

Attachments

• tractor2.jpg
    tractor2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 29

megalomaniac

Finished up the last 2 this morn... have gotten 1.3in so far of MUCH needed rain!!!

The ground was so dry, check out how smooth the plot is after dragging it with just a section of chain link fence

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-172701_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-172701_Gallery.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20221029-172707_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-172707_Gallery.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 38

JCDEERMAN

.20" last night and this morning. These last two are good, drawn out soakers which is what we need. Just wish we'd get more than .20". Everything has really greened up. Looks like it will get at least a week of warmer temps to grow.

megalomaniac

.29 at my place in TN... a little disappointed, but with the cooler temps it will go a lot further.

AMAZING how much the 1.3in I got in south MS yesterday did for the yard... 24h later, and the grass is greener, the azaleas are perky, and even the squirrels seems to be in better spirits!