• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Starting to get bad

Same here except I put a lot more diesel in my truck... Another .10" since Friday.. Don't think we have had a .5 " since opening day of dove season... Hopefully todays rain will help salvage some...

NW TN got rain aplenty. Hopefully my late-planted plots will jump during the sunny days ahead.

IMG_4507.jpeg

My lowest elevation plot this year vs last year. Sometimes this plot goes underwater and it fails. Planted same time. Pic this year is 2 weeks earlier than the pic last year.

Most of my plots are a total failure as the deer have already eaten them to the dirt before they could even establish. My 8 ac plot is fair... less than an inch of rain since it was planted 6w ago, but it's too big for the deer to eat it all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_195241_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_195241_Messages.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231031_195336_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_195336_Gallery.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 55
I haven't checked my gauge to determine how much we got over the weekend. Had cut, disked, and seeded. Didn't go back and fertilize. Gas and deisel for 3 trips to the club. Brassicas seemed to come up better than clover, but one of my plots is clover only.

But its time for me to stop worrying about it and start hunting.

Man y'all are lucky to have places here in Tennessee...it's rained daily here near Jackson. Meanwhile, my fields I planted 3 weeks ago in southwest bama haven't had a drop of rain. My cell cam from the secdond day have shown the turkeys going to town despite plenty of acorns lol I hate em in the fall...love em during the spring lol

My plots are definitely looking better after the rain. And the seed I spread mid-rain is starting to germinate. Give the plots two weeks and they'll look OK.

IMG_2051.png

Planted mine 3 weeks ago in south bama without a drop of rain…I used WMS deer magnet which are coated with delta ag seed coat which I believe is really helping these fields out.

It's BAD now... granted, this NOAA map today was compiled from data 10/31 and does not reflect the rain west central and West TN got a few days ago, but most of the state has degraded further into drought.

We have all our plots disked in south MS, but haven't even thought about planting yet due to the catastrophic drought here. Folks are going to either have to sell cattle or spend a fortune on shipping hay in from elsewhere. Normally, bahia pastures are drilled with annual rye for grazing, and hay isn't even needed here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_215606_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_215606_Chrome.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 25
Ours looks ok. They will provide a little something. I am glad we planted a lot of corn and we have a good mass crop. I should say a great mass crop. I do think we lost what clover we salvaged from the freeze last year, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we are trying to plant clover in the spring which we don't even want to think about. We will frost seed heavy again and hope for the best. The look like a desert. When the beans turned they got hammered harder then I've ever seen before.

Latest posts

Back