Food Plots Starting to get bad

megalomaniac

Well, may be $600 worth of seed, $300 herbicide, and another $300 diesel down the toilet this fall... at least I didn't waste $$$ on fertilize

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_091844_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_091844_Chrome.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 75

bowhunterfanatic

We still have half out fertilize and a little bit of seed left so it hasn't been a total waste but what we did plant is a total bust. Never even sprouted even though it did get one decent rain.

deerhunter10

Well, may be $600 worth of seed, $300 herbicide, and another $300 diesel down the toilet this fall... at least I didn't waste $$$ on fertilize
We didn't fertilize either. We were putting it off til the last second glad we didn't waste the money. I am so glad we have a lot of corn we planted.

JCDEERMAN

This was last weekend. Hope it's still ok. Some are better than others. A drill and thatch can be very beneficial on years like this year and last year. Really hoping for the rain the next several days. First freeze looks to be next Tuesday night. It sucks the brassicas will fail, but that's the power of blends. Wheat, oats, rye, crimson, PTT

IMG_7730.jpeg

IMG_7728.jpeg

BSK

Started raining at my place about 11 AM today and still raining at 1:30 PM. Almost a half an inch so far. Tomorrow, I'm still going to broadcast what wheat seed I have left in hopes of catching more rain Monday.

rifle02

This was last weekend. Hope it's still ok. Some are better than others. A drill and thatch can be very beneficial on years like this year and last year. Really hoping for the rain the next several days. First freeze looks to be next Tuesday night. It sucks the brassicas will fail, but that's the power of blends. Wheat, oats, rye, crimson, PTT

View attachment 200490
View attachment 200491
That actually looks pretty good compared to mine. I wish I had that much green even.

JCDEERMAN

That actually looks pretty good compared to mine. I wish I had that much green even.
The first pic is a field with thatch on the ground from past crops. The second pic is drilled into bare dirt we just got done leveling. There is considerable more growth on the one with the thatch for sure.

It's misting here now. I'll take all I can get

BSK

Friday through Monday morning, got 0.92" of rain. That should certainly help. Don't know if it will be enough to germinate all the extra seed I put down Saturday, but we shall see.

tellico4x4

Here's my best looking plot planted 3 weeks ago.

IMG_20231029_165140835.jpg

Have 29 others that look like this

IMG_20231029_164154544.jpg

Less than 1/2" rain in September ; .30'" thru yesterday in October. Finally getting a decent rain this morning, 4 hours worth so far.

Went totally old school with all the plots this year. Disked them in late July, had good rain in August that germinated weed seed, burned down the new growth. Disk again with gangs straight in mid September. Cultipacked in early October, planted blend of wheat/oats/triticale and cultipacked again. Then planted a blend of crimson/rape (wasted rape) on annual plots & blend of crimson/balansa/Durana/Advantage/arrowleaf/brassica (wasted brassica) on all the clover plots, and cultipacked again.

With all the acorns in woods the turkeys have left the plots alone & most of our doves left a month ago, so feel good about minimal seed loss.

Not sure what to expect with seed being in ground for 3-4 weeks, now getting good rain & sub freezing temps predicted for next couple nights. Never been in this scenario before...

BSK

Not sure what to expect with seed being in ground for 3-4 weeks, now getting good rain & sub freezing temps predicted for next couple nights. Never been in this scenario before...
That was me last year. Fully prepped plots. No rain. Plots were pretty much a disaster all season. We got some germination/growth, but nothing like a normal year.

This year, no ground prep (no ground turning). The plots I mowed/sprayed early did great with volunteer clover. The plots I mowed/sprayed late have nothing. Reseeded Saturday, but with the freeze right behind this rain, I'm not expecting much.

Latest posts