Food Plots Starting to get bad

Carlos

We're in a drought here in Cumberland county as well. My yard is even crispy, brown and it's not been mowed since the first week of September.

tellico4x4

.85" total for Sept & October combined. Turkeys have left seed alone as they are in woods feeding on acorns, but the dang crows are loving it 🤬

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_211312.jpg
    IMG_20231105_211312.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 49

lafn96

Finally more than 1/10th inch in the forecast, 4/10ths combined Thurs-Sat. Planted buckbusters premium mix on Sep 1st. Since I never put down the recommended fertilizer (urea) 30-60 days after planting; should I do it now or would that just be wasting it with the cooler temps?

megalomaniac

Finally more than 1/10th inch in the forecast, 4/10ths combined Thurs-Sat. Planted buckbusters premium mix on Sep 1st. Since I never put down the recommended fertilizer (urea) 30-60 days after planting; should I do it now or would that just be wasting it with the cooler temps?
Urea will be just fine even with the cooler temps (which we may not get until December, based on long term forecast). Biggest thing is rain... you put urea down and it doesn't rain for a month, and most will have volatized and you just wasted $$$. I'd sit on go and watch the radar Thurs afternoon. If you see rain on radar an hour away, start spreading. Based on what I'm seeing, rain looks to be light and spotty Thurs and Fri. Better chance perhaps on Nov 23rd.

BSK

We've had about a half inch total in the two weeks since I broadcast wheat a final time in late October. Wheat started to germinate but hard freeze killed it. Turkey and doves have wiped out the rest.

BigAl

We've had about a half inch total in the two weeks since I broadcast wheat a final time in late October. Wheat started to germinate but hard freeze killed it. Turkey and doves have wiped out the rest.
I planted 3 plots, all around the same time. One looks pretty good despite the lack of rain, one looks really bad, and my backyard I would call so-so, even after putting the sprinkler to it.

Latest posts