What did you do today in the reloading room?

Remi

I start .020-.030" off and look for an accurate charge and adjust depth after. Pretty much everything winds up .050-.060" off in the end for best accuracy and consistency. That's not all of mine but most of mine end up there.

TiminTN

Brought some stuff back home after contractors finished roof repair.

Attachments

• 20240426_165106.jpg
    20240426_165106.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 31

MUP

I generally load .020 off the lands and go to work on powder charge. MUP has stated he looks for seating depth first. I'm not much into chasing lands myself, if a bullet won't shoot at the start it's time to change
I actually start .020" off the lands and work up a ladder of different powder charges by .5 gr increments. Now I do know there is a method of starting with a mid level charge and loading several different seating depth rounds and shooting for a graph node, then moving on to powder charge tuning.

MUP

I start .020-.030" off and look for an accurate charge and adjust depth after. Pretty much everything winds up .050-.060" off in the end for best accuracy and consistency. That's not all of mine but most of mine end up there.
I have a load for the 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots .020 off and iirc .165 off with the same load recipe. Same accuracy that is, and no pressure. I chose the .020 off load tho.

DaveB

I have a load for the 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots .020 off and iirc .165 off with the same load recipe. Same accuracy that is, and no pressure. I chose the .020 off load tho.
I am a member of the Deer Assassin school of reloading.

1. Find the fastest load your rifle will shoot and group within reason.
2. Adjust COAL until you get desired accuracy or you touch lands.

Sometimes, this doesn't work. My 22-250 with superformance wants that .020 jump to achieve under-MOA accuracy (note: I did get the 200 FPS jump). All the rest like 7 to 12 off. Yes, it is slow. I doan care. I want gnat killing accuracy at 100 yards. I went through a lot of 300 WinMag rounds until I arrived at a load that shot to my standard. That was in mid-1980's. Same for my 06. I also own 3 PAST shoulder pads.

RodneyO

I'm with @Jcalder on this one, I do not chase the lands either, but I do know where they are, at least when I start.

This guy has good points that I can tell for me being new to long distance, but he seems to be hung up on trying to reinvent the wheel especially with terminology, even when he keeps calling a cartridge a bullet (it's hard to believe him.) Common sense tells me Lands = jams. I was taught the basics by my brother who is a professional shooter and loads for accuracy. I couldn't even finish his video because of his repeating the same yugo over and over. People love hearing themselves....I will go back later and finish it. However, I greatly appreciate your time, advice and effort along with everyone else's...

Remi

Where is he calling a cartridge a bullet?

When he talks about the bullet sticking he is talking about the actual bullet being stuck in the rifling and pulled out of the case because it's loaded too long.

If terminology bothers you it will be hard for you to read much where everyone calls a cartridge a caliber.

Everyone's favorite caliber is a 30-06 or a 308 or a 7 mag. Those are cartridges not calibers

Omega

This guy has good points that I can tell for me being new to long distance, but he seems to be hung up on trying to reinvent the wheel especially with terminology, even when he keeps calling a cartridge a bullet (it's hard to believe him.) Common sense tells me Lands = jams. I was taught the basics by my brother who is a professional shooter and loads for accuracy. I couldn't even finish his video because of his repeating the same yugo over and over. People love hearing themselves....I will go back later and finish it. However, I greatly appreciate your time, advice and effort along with everyone else's...
You'd probably hate it when YouTube demonetized him and others for mentioning bullets he started to call them freedom seeds.

DaveB

I ordered and have received an Auto press for 223. We shoot so much of this ammunition I plain got tired of working all day and getting enough done so that my ready-to-go numbers do not go into a tailspin.

Success with the 9's was accomplished but with a fair amount of misery, primer waste in particular. However, once I got everything TIGHT no more issues. A very repeatable and safe way to create large amounts of ammunition very quickly.

DaveB

Decapped about 2,000 9's and 1,000 223.

Loaded some 60 gr Partitions for a friend with a 223 rifle. Did some /06 NBT's for same guy. Going to help him get zero at MSSA soon.

Latest posts