Reloading class

Jcalder

I was asked about possibly teaching a reloading class. It was asked of me to find a kit, and the essential tools, and that would be included in the cost of the class. I think it would help get rid of the tire kickers, they'd end up with a quality press/kit, and enough knowledge to get started. Is there anything I'm missing before I get too deep down pursuing this? It's not something I'd open to everyone, and the initial cost would keep some away regardless.

Omega

I was asked about possibly teaching a reloading class. It was asked of me to find a kit, and the essential tools, and that would be included in the cost of the class. I think it would help get rid of the tire kickers, they'd end up with a quality press/kit, and enough knowledge to get started. Is there anything I'm missing before I get too deep down pursuing this? It's not something I'd open to everyone, and the initial cost would keep some away regardless.
There are a few presses that come in kits which include everything except expendables, I am partial to the Lee Turret, which can be used as a single stage at first, and is priced right, and may be able to be lowered if a suitable order is placed. The problem will come with what caliber to use, for that I would go 9mm and .308 which are very popular.

Jcalder

There are a few presses that come in kits which include everything except expendables, I am partial to the Lee Turret, which can be used as a single stage at first, and is priced right, and may be able to be lowered if a suitable order is placed. The problem will come with what caliber to use, for that I would go 9mm and .308 which are very popular.
I was looking at an rcbs kit. I started with a Lee kit, and it will produce good ammo. But I don't care for the safety scale. Most of the rest of the kit would be ok.

Lost Lake

I'd talk about what a good, stout reloading bench should be. I've seen so many use tables and benches that are serviceable, but really too flimsy.

I think the idea of picking a common rifle and pistol cartridge to teach on is a good one.

Omega

I was looking at an rcbs kit. I started with a Lee kit, and it will produce good ammo. But I don't care for the safety scale. Most of the rest of the kit would be ok.
The safety scale is actually pretty accurate, used one for years. While not as robust as other scales, it does the job quite well. The RCBS kits is a good kit, but most all of them are single stage, which is not a bad thing but they make die changing a PITA.

DaveTN

IMO…Trying to find a kit would be tough to do. I bought everything I wanted, and it was not cheap. But when I did it, I did it with the idea I'm buying once. Not buying cheap with plans of upgrading.

I think I'd maybe think about having the class and letting everyone make their own choices about their gear.

I thought about having a free firearms safety and familiarity class for family, friends, and neighbors. A non-shooting safety class coupled with letting them handle various firearms and answering questions by someone that's not a salesman. I haven't pursued it for a few reasons, the biggest being questions of liability. I'm sure if I asked an attorney if I could be liable if someone, I trained that got hurt later, they would tell me yes. It's the times we live in.

We see too many people hurt handling firearms, and too many people hurt, and guns blown up by reloaders. That shouldn't happen if a person is properly trained.

It's a good idea. Good luck.

MUP

Insurance. I think you'd need to be covered in case anything were to happen, and it definitely could when teaching those who don't know exactly what they're dealing with, gun powder, explosive caps etc. It's inherently dangerous, and I just think it would be a good idea to be covered somehow when others are under your personal supervision. Great idea tho and good luck buddy, it really is a needed skill IMO.

Jcalder

Insurance. I think you'd need to be covered in case anything were to happen, and it definitely could when teaching those who don't know exactly what they're dealing with, gun powder, explosive caps etc. It's inherently dangerous, and I just think it would be a good idea to be covered somehow when others are under your personal supervision. Great idea tho and good luck buddy, it really is a needed skill IMO.
This is my biggest hesitation. But like anything, there's risk. I think as long as you taught the basics, and don't promote stupidity you'd be ok. There would have to be some disclaimers.

Jcalder

IMO…Trying to find a kit would be tough to do. I bought everything I wanted, and it was not cheap. But when I did it, I did it with the idea I'm buying once. Not buying cheap with plans of upgrading.

I think I'd maybe think about having the class and letting everyone make their own choices about their gear.

I thought about having a free firearms safety and familiarity class for family, friends, and neighbors. A non-shooting safety class coupled with letting them handle various firearms and answering questions by someone that's not a salesman. I haven't pursued it for a few reasons, the biggest being questions of liability. I'm sure if I asked an attorney if I could be liable if someone, I trained that got hurt later, they would tell me yes. It's the times we live in.

We see too many people hurt handling firearms, and too many people hurt, and guns blown up by reloaders. That shouldn't happen if a person is properly trained.

It's a good idea. Good luck.
The kit isn't too hard to find, but pushing $500. I ran a few numbers, and I'm at $700 for everything, but brass, bullets, and a tumbler. I almost agree with letting others pick what they want, but it's hard to host a class without the tools to have a hands on class. It was actually suggested to me to do the kit vs rounding up the supplies and doing it.

Jcalder

Also, by limiting the curriculum to say 9mm and .308, you'll only have to have basically two powders and primer types, along with two types of bullets. I agree with teaching the basics, then just answer questions that will come up for different calibers as they arise.
Personally, I'd rather just stick to rifle loads for this. I can do 9mm, but I don't do enough to be confident teaching it. And with the ability to double charge, and liability in the back of head, that's a real possibility. It would discussed, but needs some warnings placed in there

Remi

Personally, I'd rather just stick to rifle loads for this. I can do 9mm, but I don't do enough to be confident teaching it. And with the ability to double charge, and liability in the back of head, that's a real possibility. It would discussed, but needs some warnings placed in there

Good idea on the rifle only. My neighbor has reloaded rifle for quite awhile and has just started with pistol the last year or so. He gets himself into trouble every little bit with pistol and I have to go over and tear stuff down. I think pistol is certainly for more advanced guys after watching my neighbor mess with them.

Jcalder

Good idea on the rifle only. My neighbor has reloaded rifle for quite awhile and has just started with pistol the last year or so. He gets himself into trouble every little bit with pistol and I have to go over and tear stuff down. I think pistol is certainly for more advanced guys after watching my neighbor mess with them.
The time involved, especially on a single stage, it's nearly cheaper to just buy it. Sourcing primers has been the nightmare

Gav-n-Tn

I'd definitely start with a single stage and as many manual tools as possible. Any manufacturer will do (I like bits and pieces from all of them) and, I'd use budget line equipment. If they drop out, at least they don't go broke getting started. Probably a bad analogy but, kinda like teaching someone to shoot and starting with a single shot bolt action. Starting out with the aforementioned setup slows the pace and forces every single stage to be thought about and hands on. I think a bottle neck rifle cartridge is a good place to start. Safety, fundamentals, safety, fundamentals, etc etc and fancy equipment can come later. Start out with a 3 on the tree and then graduate to an automatic with cruise control and power windows if you learn to drive.

Jcalder

I'd definitely start with a single stage and as many manual tools as possible. Any manufacturer will do (I like bits and pieces from all of them) and, I'd use budget line equipment. If they drop out, at least they don't go broke getting started. Probably a bad analogy but, kinda like teaching someone to shoot and starting with a single shot bolt action. Starting out with the aforementioned setup slows the pace and forces every single stage to be thought about and hands on. I think a bottle neck rifle cartridge is a good place to start. Safety, fundamentals, safety, fundamentals, etc etc and fancy equipment can come later. Start out with a 3 on the tree and then graduate to an automatic with cruise control and power windows if you learn to drive.
I agree with nearly all of this. I'm not opposed to budget equipment, I just picked a kit that has nearly everything, and should last a lifetime, without fuss. Safety is the number one focus and would be stressed repeatedly.

Gav-n-Tn

Looking at the rcbs supreme kit
If you're leaning toward RCBS, take a look at the Rebel. I think it's an improvement over the Rock Chucker. All of the kits leave a little to be desired. For instance, it has a digital scale which I think is a bad place to start unless you're using a beam scale along with it.

Latest posts