Starting Reloading w/ 35 Rem and 270 Win

Tenntrapper

You really can't save money by reloading! Not unless the ammo is very hard to get and expensive. But, there is precision and satisfaction to be had when you load your own. Be warned that it is a black hole with no bottom.

I started out with a rcbs kit and upgraded everything except for the press. It's hard to beat that rock chucker. I would look for someone wanting to get out of the reloading business and try to get the basics for a song. You will more than likely upgrade no matter what or get out altogether. It's not for everyone but I personally love doing it.
I agree with this. I didn't shoot near as much prior to reloading as I did afterwards. I got into it because of a combo that was not commercially available. It grew from there.
For the last year or so, I've tried desperately to downsize and eventually get out. If I was shooting a common caliber with available ammo...and found something that shot good enough for my needs...I would abandon completely. I will say though that it has allowed me to acquire rifles with hard to find ammo for decent prices. Rifles I never would have tried if I didn't hand load. But....it can be addictive... 😂
I recently acquired a box of bullets that have been discontinued for years....but I didn't have anything to shoot them in. Last night, I ordered a rifle for them. So, for me, I haven't saved a penny. If anything, reloading has cost me a fortune.

Hindsight being 20/20, if I was in your shoes, I would sell the 35 and stock up on 270 ammo. Neither of those are likely bench guns, so you probably don't shoot enough to recoup your investment. Of course, I have no idea how much you actually shoot.

DaveB

Hmm..Here are the Western Front (Shelby County) we shoot quite a bit. Maybe a lot.

223 and 9 mm mostly. Decapped shot brass numbers say we did over 3,000 223 last year and 5,000 9's.
Loaded coupla hundred each caliber 7-08, 270, 6.8 SPC II, 6.5, and 30/06. Exactly 1200 .308 FMJ 150's.

Keep your eyes open for Shooters World powders. In the 8 pound size the price is pre covid or mighty close. I am very pleased with FPS and consistency or the Tac Rifle (24.5 gr charge). Of note: the Fiocchi primers are showing no issues.

223 55 gr FMJ Armscor are available although I did take most of the last remaining inventory at my favorite spot.

If you want to reload and have more than a few calibers it is a great hobby. Much cheaper than drinkin'.

ScLowCountry

Yes, and that's the problem.
I would load the 200 gr ftx before the interlock. The interlock doesn't expand well at 35 rem velocity. Ask me how I know.

I've never loaded the ftx. Hornday is the only thing you can reliably find in stock

I do remember something for the ftx you may have to trim the case because the bullets are too long. Which is why the brass you find from factory ftx is shorter. Just look into it

Last edited:

TboneD

I would kiss the 200 gr ftx before the interlock. The interlock doesn't expand well at 35 rem velocity. Ask me how I know.

I've never loaded the ftx. Hornday is the only thing you can reliably find in stock
I prefer to shoot the Hornady at the range. For hunting at the moment I still actually have a decent amount Federal and even a couple boxes of Winchester 200 gr round nose. Very low on my preferred Rem. Cor-lokt but it's a shame I can't find any of the preferred bullets for all the brass I've saved since getting the gun several years ago. Not sure what bullet the Winchester is but the Federal is supposed to be the Sierra Pro Hunter but they're not available, either, and I really have no interest in casting lead to be honest. Really don't want to sell the gun because it's my only lever gun and my favorite to be honest.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
You really can't save money by reloading! Not unless the ammo is very hard to get and expensive. But, there is precision and satisfaction to be had when you load your own. Be warned that it is a black hole with no bottom.
That is probably all true, but I sure enjoy shooting more when ammo cost pennies instead of dollars per round. I also never ran out of 35 ammo when it was (and still is very hard) impossible to find.

Latest posts