Starting Reloading w/ 35 Rem and 270 Win

TboneD

Well, I've put it off long enough. I've got plenty of 35 Rem brass and even more .270 Win. Do I go with a Lee or a Hornady kit? Do I visit Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet or just order stuff online? I'd love to keep my initial costs below that of "of an arm and a leg" so my wife won't be tempted to tell me "Told you so!" Any help or tips would be really appreciate!

Thank you!
Dave

Remi

I like the Lee dies with the factory crimp die on anything I'm crimping. I order most stuff except powder and primers. I've bought my press, scale, a lot of dies etc all used. It was years ago but I got the rcbs rock chucker kit, a table and 19 sets of dies for $125. I'd keep an eye out local for stuff.

Snowwolfe

From my own experience Lee equipment has less of a following than Hornady or RCBS stuff. Hornady dies can occasionally be a little tricky to set up. RCBS are easier.
You will receive many comments on what to do so my advice may or may not help.
If I were starting out today first piece I would buy is a RCBS Rockchucker press. Used, or new, doesn't matter. If you don't abuse it it will outlast your grandkids.
You will also need:

Reloading manuals, buy several different brands. The Hornady manual is probably the best on the market.
Case trimmer
Lube pad and lube
Scale
Chamfering tool
Dial caliper capable of going up to 4 inches or so.
Dies and shell holders.
Loading block
Bullet puller.

Other odds and ends can be added as you increase your knowledge. Powder measure, powder trickler, priming tool-either bench mounted or hand held.

If you want some hands on advice you are welcome to visit me and my reloading operation. I'll be happy to share anything I know with you

Last edited:

Billboy

@Snowwolfe has given you good advice!
A digital powder scale is a nice addition, but the old RCBS beam scale works fine too.
I prefer Hornady "One Shot" spray lube or you can make your own much cheaper (google). Imperial sixing wax will also keep you out of trouble with easy cleanup.
I prefer Redding dies, but RCBS or Hornady work just fine too. Learn about "Partial Full Length Sizing" to make more accurate loads and extend the life of your brass.
A brass tumbler is a good addition too as well as tools to clean your primer pockets.
Nosler, Accurate, Hodgdon/IMR, Barnes, and Alliant all have online load data.

Keep an eye on Midsouth, they often have pretty good deals on reloading equipment.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
RCBS, Hornady, then Lyman dies, in that order for my preferences. You can go to Redding or another higher end die later if you decide to get into the precision shooting after you've learned to walk.

I like the imperial sizing wax.

Balance beam scale. Trickler. SS Calipers. I'd start with the Lee dippers if you want to save some money, but I don't care for cheap powder throwers. Lots of options for case trimming

Cheap chamfer and deburring tool for now, go to a case prep center later if you'd like.

For .270 powder, H4831 (standard or SC) or 4350 (H or I) will be all that you need. I'm not as familiar with 35 Rem, but I'd bet a dime to a donut that 4895, RL7, or I3031 would be great for it. Use the projectiles that you can find, but I like the regular Hornady interlocks for a good quality budget bullet… obviously others will work

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Forgot to add, Reloaders Bench has a lot of stuff but they are not the cheapest. Don't forget about Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse if you are around them… but I usually just buy online. I saw a couple of members selling 4831 recently

Lost Lake

It's not as easy to gather supplies these last three years or so. My guess is that you'll have to piece them together where you can. I'd order what you can and check in on local shops whenever you get time.

Hopefully you've got enough primers and powder. That's the hardest stuff to acquire right now.

A buddy got me into reloading about 25 years ago, and he bought me Lee stuff as a gift. I still use it and some RCBS equipment as well. It's all pretty decent.

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I really appreciate all the help! Thank you!

So I guess I need to start by sourcing primers. Same for both 35 Rem and 270?
@Tenntrapper is right that many people still use mag primers for ball powders, but that is more of an old school rule of thumb that may not apply for the 35 Rem; the case capacity of the 35 is so small that I doubt that I'd buy them special just for that, unless they are easy to come by. It's not a bad thing to do, but I don't know that it is as "necessary" as it was once touted. If it was a larger case capacity then I'd probably do it: once again, @Tenntrapper has been doing this longer than me, and he has experience with the 35 that I don't have, so he may chime in and tell me that I'm off base.

If the Tac powder that @Bad habit mentions is correct then you are in luck… Tac has been one of the most available and affordable powders since the pandemic started. It has been going up in a lot of places lately, but it is really good on 308, 223/5.56, and 6.5G. It is one of the more temp stable ball powders on the market.

Gav-n-Tn

Take a look at the RCBS Rebel master kit. Some argue it should've been called the Rock Crusher's latest update instead of being called Rebel. The kit will be short of all you need but, so are the rest of the kits. I've got Lee, RCBS, Lachmiller, Redding and use Forster die locks. A mixture of additional tools/accessories from all of the above along with Lyman and Hornady. Crap will pop up that you didn't think about and NOT ONE single one of them makes it all. I always advise to shop locally if possible and support your LGS.

Gav-n-Tn

I'll throw this out there too…. There are a lot of folks who think they're going to reload and save money. THEN…. Realize that's not necessarily true and end up selling it. Look for new and unused presses, equipment and accessories that people are selling. It's kinda like exercise equipment. People buy with intention but don't follow through.

7mm08

Anyone tried Varget with 35 REM? Because I have about 6-7 pounds of it for my 7mm08.

1706996438437.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2811.jpeg
    IMG_2811.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 8

fairchaser

You really can't save money by reloading! Not unless the ammo is very hard to get and expensive. But, there is precision and satisfaction to be had when you load your own. Be warned that it is a black hole with no bottom.

I started out with a rcbs kit and upgraded everything except for the press. It's hard to beat that rock chucker. I would look for someone wanting to get out of the reloading business and try to get the basics for a song. You will more than likely upgrade no matter what or get out altogether. It's not for everyone but I personally love doing it.

Latest posts