Reloading class

Jcalder

If you're leaning toward RCBS, take a look at the Rebel. I think it's an improvement over the Rock Chucker. All of the kits leave a little to be desired. For instance, it has a digital scale which I think is a bad place to start unless you're using a beam scale along with it.
None of the kits I'm looking at have a digital scale. I much prefer the balance beams. I looked at the rebel and it's a bit more, but I don't remember how much more.

Jcalder

If you're leaning toward RCBS, take a look at the Rebel. I think it's an improvement over the Rock Chucker. All of the kits leave a little to be desired. For instance, it has a digital scale which I think is a bad place to start unless you're using a beam scale along with it.

This is the one I looked at using

megalomaniac

I have zero experience with any other presses, but I started out back in the early 90s with the Rock Chucker Supreme kit... $250 back then, and no telling how many 10s of thousands of rounds has been through it in the past 30 years.

And the thing works like the day I bought it. In the interim, I upgraded to a PACT electronic dispenser and electronic scale. Used those for a while, but figured it out it was actually slower than throwing a charge 1g less on my powder dispenser included with the RCBS kit, then trickling in the last grain on the balance beam to get it spot on. $400 worth of fancy electronics that don't even get used any more.

There are some really good you tube videos out there for basic reloading (ultimate reloader has a series)

If anyone out there has seen any advanced reloading technique videos for benchrest reloading tweaks, I'd love to watch. Cortera jas some good ones I've watched.

Jcalder

If you are willing to take the time, you could avoid the kits and purposely piece it together. Then you can get exactly what you need. The kits are alright but they all seem to leave you short.
If I had 20 participants, that's a lot of searching for stuff lol. I'll probably have 15-20 hours in prep time before class is even ready to begin.

Jcalder

I have zero experience with any other presses, but I started out back in the early 90s with the Rock Chucker Supreme kit... $250 back then, and no telling how many 10s of thousands of rounds has been through it in the past 30 years.

And the thing works like the day I bought it. In the interim, I upgraded to a PACT electronic dispenser and electronic scale. Used those for a while, but figured it out it was actually slower than throwing a charge 1g less on my powder dispenser included with the RCBS kit, then trickling in the last grain on the balance beam to get it spot on. $400 worth of fancy electronics that don't even get used any more.

There are some really good you tube videos out there for basic reloading (ultimate reloader has a series)

If anyone out there has seen any advanced reloading technique videos for benchrest reloading tweaks, I'd love to watch. Cortera jas some good ones I've watched.
What I'm looking at doing is beginner level. I think that's the easiest way to avoid misinformation, and bad practices. Having used a Lee press, rock chucker, and a jr, the rockchucker will do anything most people want

Gav-n-Tn

I looked at a used Hornady prep center the other day. Heavy duty unit. Guy wanted $500. I just couldn't do it.

Jcalder

Chamfering tools, calipers, comparators, maybe a bullet puller to demonstrate taking down cartridge if needed.
The kit comes with a chamfer tool, and I priced calipers. Comparators are more advanced and might be discussed, but briefly. I have a puller, and would show it in class, but not provide one to everyone.

Gav-n-Tn

That's why I recommended the Rebel. I think it's an improved version of the Rock Chucker. BUT, the Rock Chucker's reputation is so solid and it's the name that's been passed down from generations. You can't compete with that. Naming it the Rebel instead of the Rock Chucker improved version XYZ was probably a marketing mistake.

I digress. Don't want to turn the OP's thread into a fanboy discussion. I have bits and pieces from almost all of them.

utvolsfan77

@Jcalder One thing I'd highly recommend is get knowledgeable folks to help you or limit the class size to a maximum of four people at a time. The reason being if you are by yourself, you can't watch everyone at once. My own experience has been that you always have one jackwagon that thinks he knows everything and always tries to get ahead of the rest of the class. This is where safety issues and liabilities usually come in.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but don't want to see you getting jammed up either.

Jcalder

@Jcalder One thing I'd highly recommend is get knowledgeable folks to help you or limit the class size to a maximum of four people at a time. The reason being if you are by yourself, you can't watch everyone at once. My own experience has been that you always have one jackwagon that thinks he knows everything and always tries to get ahead of the rest of the class. This is where safety issues and liabilities usually come in.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but don't want to see you getting jammed up either.
You make a good point. People not paying attention is what will get them hurt. My first thought was to have them open their kit, get the manual out, and slide the kit out of the way. Got thru the proper procedures before they ever look at the goodies.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
May sound elementary but:
Make a good outline/lesson plan/checklist before you start. A good teacher should encourage conversation and questions, and that will often take you down rabbit trails that can get you off track if you don't have a plan. Also be willing to draw those rabbit trails back to the point and answer them offline later if needed.

Start with a list of terms and definitions, as well as a diagram of the basic components of a loaded round, that are distributed before the class for "homework". It's amazing that full grown men who have been around guns and hunting their whole life don't know the difference between "ammo" and "bullets," or "grains" and "granules." But different people come from different backgrounds and knowledge levels, so don't assume knowledge.

Jcalder

May sound elementary but:
Make a good outline/lesson plan/checklist before you start. A good teacher should encourage conversation and questions, and that will often take you down rabbit trails that can get you off track if you don't have a plan. Also be willing to draw those rabbit trails back to the point and answer them offline later if needed.

Start with a list of terms and definitions, as well as a diagram of the basic components of a loaded round, that are distributed before the class for "homework". It's amazing that full grown men who have been around guns and hunting their whole life don't know the difference between "ammo" and "bullets," or "grains" and "granules." But different people come from different backgrounds and knowledge levels, so don't assume knowledge.
If it happens, I plan on making a PowerPoint. And questions. I want people to understand questions are good and will keep you and your equipment like they should be

jlanecr500

If you go thru with this and would like to add a comparator I'll donate my time to make them if you supply the materials at $12 each.

Latest posts