Food Plots Well... how much did you get?

DoubleRidge

Got the rest of our cereal rye and winter wheat out today....buddy of mine sowed 250lb Thursday on two of our plots then I sowed 400lb today...I've got one more plot at the house I'm gonna sow 100lb wheat on Monday then I'm done.... really hoping for the rain next week....got caught up on some bushogging today too....whooped....but glad to get it done.

Ended up going with 150lb of winter wheat on the last plot today...we're done...800lb of cereal rye and winter wheat on the ground....really hoping for the forecasted rain this week.

megalomaniac

Got the last 400lbs of fertilizer put down on the plots we reseeded 12d ago... cmon rain tomorrow!

The newly seeded plots that were drilled survived the freeze mid week last week, the older plots had the edges of the radishes burned by the cold, but thankfully didn't kill them.

This has been one of the most frustrating years I've ever had trying to feed the deer.

BSK

This has been one of the most frustrating years I've ever had trying to feed the deer.
Agreed.

This will be an interesting year to say the least. No acorns, no fruit, food plots are a disaster, and now the freeze has killed all the primary browse. So my property will provide just cover, but little to no food. Have no idea how the deer will react to this.

tellico4x4

While overseeding & spreading fert yesterday I was surprised to see new growth from our 9/8 planting. Fair amount of triticale & Balansa clover just now poking through. Had about 3" of rain since planting and it's taken about 6 weeks to germinate!?

BSK

Even with reseeding and the 0.88" of rain I got right afterwards, my plots still look like crap:

Attachments

• plots40.jpg
    plots40.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 61

348Winchester

Agreed.

This will be an interesting year to say the least. No acorns, no fruit, food plots are a disaster, and now the freeze has killed all the primary browse. So my property will provide just cover, but little to no food. Have no idea how the deer will react to this.
I was thinking the same thing. Here on the plateau we run cooler than you in middle and west Tennessee. We have had a few freezes and everything looks dormant. I'm seeing no rubs/scrapes. I'm seeing some deer in fields but am worried for them this winter. If we do not get some rain over the next week my plots will be complete failure.

megalomaniac

Wow, only got a half inch from the front today in TN... was thinking I would get over an inch. Better than nothing.

Only got .09 here at the house in MS. We've only had .2in in the past 7w... yard is dead and azeleas are close to death. Still haven't even thought about planting plots down here.

DoubleRidge

Finally the rain timed out right for us....got .88 inch in the gage today...with another decent chance of rain Saturday night and Sunday.....and today's rain was nice and steady over a couple hours and not all at once....nice soaker.....hoping the forecast holds for more.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Got .55 inches at our place and the same amount at my house. Was hoping for more, but I'll take it. A nice 2 hour soak should do the plots well until the hopeful rain this coming weekend. The next 2 weeks look like great growing conditions as long as we get some intermittent rains. Really hope plots thicken up well, then turn cold

RS

Honestly, with the number of deer hammering what did make it through the drought after planting, I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference if I do get several rain events. I overseeded wheat in all my plots last Saturday, so hopefully the thin spots will fill in, but with no acorns, I don't think there will be much left of the plots in December.
This is one of my bottom plots, so it did better than my ridge top plots. The trail cam photo only shows a small portion of the plot, and I count 16 or 17 deer.
9395552C-6E49-4929-8DB0-8CF75EA71FBF.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

Honestly, with the number of deer hammering what did make it through the drought after planting, I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference if I do get several rain events. I overseeded wheat in all my plots last Saturday, so hopefully the thin spots will fill in, but with no acorns, I don't think there will be much left of the plots in December.
This is one of my bottom plots, so it did better than my ridge top plots. The trail cam photo only shows a small portion of the plot, and I count 16 or 17 deer.
View attachment 153768
I'd be hammering some does out of that field. Would be fun, meat in the freezer and they may stay out of there just enough to grow some due to pressure. Less mouths eating

Deer 1

You need to put out hay to feed your heard.

As soon as my new sprouts get 2 or 3 inches tall they mow it down. Can't take a step without stepping in droppings

Quailman

View attachment 153768
We're pretty much in the same situation RS. I've given up on trying to do anything more to the plots we've got in now, but the amount of use on our food plots this year is pretty amazing. Even in areas with substantial amounts of row crops on adjacent farms, the deer are still using the plots heavily. Add into that is the fact that we have pretty good acorn production this year as well (surprisingly) but the deer are still in the plots on a daily basis.

And FYI, you need to shoot some does! :)

lafn96

What's planted in that plot before you overseeded?

Latest posts