Food Plots Well... how much did you get?

BSK

Unless models completely rule out the Thursday rain between now and then, I'm going to top-sow my plots this Tuesday and Wednesday. Gotta' try something. Even if that means just feeding the turkey.

Worst plot-growing year ever.

RS

Got down this weekend to look at mine for the first time since planting. I planted right before the last rain we got a month ago. They are green but definitely thin. My shady spots around the edges are much worse. The tree roots are sucking up all the moisture, and it's just bare dirt.
I'll watch the weather and overseed at some point.
CEEFE649-2AEB-41E3-A10D-501D88D4C7C7.jpeg

My saving grace is all the available browse from a recent timber cut. Based on the number of deer I saw Friday evening in my plots while just riding around, the plots will definitely not be able to handle the pressure with nearly zero acorns at my place.
4D12E479-A9C5-4E6A-B0D9-B090BA01E40E.jpeg

BSK

Your plots look better than mine RS. But I agree, the only saving grace is regrowth from recent timbering. But once the first hard freeze knocks that back, the meager food plots won't support the deer for long.

DeerCamp

Planted this morning for the first time. Put out 150lbs of cereal rye and mix.

Barely got the last bag in before the bottom fell out. I've never planted this late! I know the rye will come up but not sure about the rest.

Had to try something.

megalomaniac

We planted 4 acres that was killed a month ago... went with 100lbs wheat and 5lb/ acre of clover... drilled no less... doubled the rate in case of no rain... but we already got .3in on it. Hoping the line in west TN holds together and we get some more SE of Nashville!

Redrilled another plot on another farm planted 6w ago, but deer have destroyed it since.

3rd plot on a different farm that was left standing in sorgham/ millet. Both have died and browned (mature seed heads, though). Drill smashed them down to the ground, but had a little trouble with the dry stems pulling up out of the ground and getting in the cutting blades of the disc, but at least have a nice mat over the seeds. Be interesting to see how this does.

Will prob fertilize everything that is still alive this weekend in hopes we get another round of rain Sunday... fingers crossed!!!

Latest posts