Food Plots how do you plant your plots?

BSK

I do remember last year as our fall blend germinated we also had little buckwheat sprouts popping up everywhere...which was fine with me.....I just hope the cost comes down some...$83 per bag is ridiculous.
Just looked it up. I paid $1.82/lb for Buckwheat. But you think that's bad, I paid $2.03/lb for coated Crimson Clover! Ouch.

Deer 1

In the past roundup, disk, fertilize, use spreader for seed. Normally to thick.
Stepped up to a walkbehind 1 row seeder this year. Improvement but lots of work.
Recently Stepped up to a 2 row 3pt no till planter for next spring. Hoping to save time and work

twcgo

In the past roundup, disk, fertilize, use spreader for seed. Normally to thick.
Stepped up to a walkbehind 1 row seeder this year. Improvement but lots of work.
Recently Stepped up to a 2 row 3pt no till planter for next spring. Hoping to save time and work
if u dont mind me asking what kind of planter did u get? been looking for one myself

Ski

I'm a little jealous of you spray, throw & mow guys. I've been trying it for a few years and feel I've given it an honest effort, but my plots just don't do as well as when I disc up fresh dirt. Not sure what I get so wrong but the difference is pretty drastic.

BSK

I'm a little jealous of you spray, throw & mow guys. I've been trying it for a few years and feel I've given it an honest effort, but my plots just don't do as well as when I disc up fresh dirt. Not sure what I get so wrong but the difference is pretty drastic.
I only used spray, throw and mow because I didn't have the equipment to do anything else. Now that I have the ability to till, I till. Production is night and day difference. First picture is what I would get with spray, throw and mow. Not bad for poor soil "hunting" plots. The second picture is what I get with tilling. Again, night and day difference.

Attachments

• plots30.jpg
    plots30.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 55
  • plots12.jpg
    plots12.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 56

Jcalder

I kept going through this and finally had to convert to spray, throw and mow no-till. Plots don't start out as pretty as tilled, but far fewer weeds down the road. Especially serecia, my nemesis.
Guy I used to work with said deer loved serecia. Myself, I don't know that I've seen it lol.

DoubleRidge

No doubt spray and sow isn't perfect...but some of our plots are on slopes...not super steep but enough to wash...so erosion is a concern....but the most successful spray and sow plots we've had involved winter wheat or cereal rye....and for soil building buckwheat is great for spray and sow....two plots pictured haven't been disked in 7 or 8 years.....sprayed with glysophate and sowed heavy with buckwheat....and weed suppression was impressive....but in the same breath I'll admit we've had plenty of spray and sow failures...but in certain applications it has its place....and next year we're planning to experiment with spray , then burning the old layers of thatch then sow...in hopes of improving seed to soil contact.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_151427490~4.jpg
    IMG_20210717_151427490~4.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210717_150518163~4.jpg
    IMG_20210717_150518163~4.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 41

DoubleRidge

It's a rebuilt allis Chalmer. Originally a 6 row planter. Guy I got it from restores them to 2 row planters.

Good friend has a two row Allis Chalmers no-till planter....we've considered trying to spray some plots and no-till plant Eagle beans or RR corn....but of some of our sloped plots I'd like to try the no-till planter out...never used one before.

Ski

No doubt spray and sow isn't perfect...but some of our plots are on slopes...not super steep but enough to wash...so erosion is a concern....but the most successful spray and sow plots we've had involved winter wheat or cereal rye....and for soil building buckwheat is great for spray and sow....two plots pictured haven't been disked in 7 or 8 years.....sprayed with glysophate and sowed heavy with buckwheat....and weed suppression was impressive....but in the same breath I'll admit we've had plenty of spray and sow failures...but in certain applications it has its place....and next year we're planning to experiment with spray , then burning the old layers of thatch then sow...in hopes of improving seed to soil contact.

Yeah those look great! Mine are generally what BSK posted. I'm intrigued by the burn. I want to try but I'm afraid I'll burn the whole forest down!

DoubleRidge

Yeah those look great! Mine are generally what BSK posted. I'm intrigued by the burn. I want to try but I'm afraid I'll burn the whole forest down!

As dry as it currently is I would never attempt a burn...but once the time comes...with normal rain fall and everything greener....I'm hoping to spray ...wait a week...then burn brown thatch.... probably try it on a couple of smaller plots as an experiment.

Latest posts