Food Plots Opinions on summer plots

348Winchester

The strange thing about Buckwheat on my place is deer virtually ignore it in a summer plot. But they tear it up in a fall plot (until the first frost kills it).
It's the same in Morgan County. The deer will begin to use it in August and increase to a fever pitch by early October.

BSK

I'm following Megalomaniac and Popcorn's lead on summer plots this year. I'm going to broadcast sorghum and a cheap soybean seed into my standing dead fall/winter plots (crimson clover and wheat that has seeded out and died), then mow that dead material down onto my summer seed and spray immediately. In early August, I'll broadcast buckwheat seed and mow/spray most of the summer plots (leaving some standing around the edge). I hope to get the same stand of naturally reseeded crimson clover I got this year (best stand I've ever had, and I broadcast no new seed). I'll then overseed with wheat in late September or early October.

deerhunter10

I'm following Megalomaniac and Popcorn's lead on summer plots this year. I'm going to broadcast sorghum and a cheap soybean seed into my standing dead fall/winter plots (crimson clover and wheat that has seeded out and died), then mow that dead material down onto my summer seed and spray immediately. In early August, I'll broadcast buckwheat seed and mow/spray most of the summer plots (leaving some standing around the edge). I hope to get the same stand of naturally reseeded crimson clover I got this year (best stand I've ever had, and I broadcast no new seed). I'll then overseed with wheat in late September or early October.
We planted soghrum this past year very easy and the weed pressure was very minimal. We never had to spray it. We follow the same thought process as others. Our summer plots are for weed control more then anything.

JCDEERMAN

In early August, I'll broadcast buckwheat seed and mow/spray most of the summer plots (leaving some standing around the edge). I hope to get the same stand of naturally reseeded crimson clover I got this year (best stand I've ever had, and I broadcast no new seed). I'll then overseed with wheat in late September or early October.
If you don't have any weeds, don't discount broadcasting your fall seed right before a rain into your soybean/sorghum blend when your soybeans are starting to turn yellow. They'll fall right on top of your seed, while also protecting it from the turkeys you love and other birds 😁.

I'm also doing the same summer blend

BSK

If you don't have any weeds, don't discount broadcasting your fall seed right before a rain into your soybean/sorghum blend when your soybeans are starting to turn yellow. They'll fall right on top of your seed, while also protecting it from the turkeys you love and other birds 😁.

I'm also doing the same summer blend
I'm trying to recreate the conditions that produced such an amazing stand of naturally reseeded Crimson Clover that I experienced this year. The plots that reseeded exceptionally well were all mowed in early August. Those plots mowed later did not produce the same results. I don't know if my experiences were unique because of the drought conditions or if the early August mowing will always be critical to the process.

JCDEERMAN

I'm trying to recreate the conditions that produced such an amazing stand of naturally reseeded Crimson Clover that I experienced this year. The plots that reseeded exceptionally well were all mowed in early August. Those plots mowed later did not produce the same results. I don't know if my experiences were unique because of the drought conditions or if the early August mowing will always be critical to the process.
I'm not sure either. But 2023 was a heck of a year for crimson clover. All of ours acted as if they were perennial. Fine by me

348Winchester

Do you ever use rye?

tellico4x4

@megalomaniac , @Popcorn, others??

Is there a tried & true seed combination that is recommended for first year & realistic expectations? We have several annual plots that I'm considering jumping on the bandwagon with.

Due to the droughts last couple years, I'm adding a lot of Durana to my clover plots. I sowed quite a bit of it this past fall and planned on frost seeding some more next month. Can get for less than $7.00/lb so going to bite the bullet and make sure all my clover plots have it in them.

Didn't mean to derail the summer plot question...

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
For me it's crimson, ladino and arrowleaf, 25/50/25. That became my all season blend that would under normal circumstances withstand the browse and be there year round. I will also incorporate wheat into my clover plots, 50 lb per acre on established plots and 100 lbs per when planting new plots or re-establishing old plots. I have found my greatest successes in both Turkey and deer season by doing that. Wheat is quick to fill in, does not compete with clover, will absorb a lot of browse pressure while the clover spreads and gets a good start.
I am not against durana and if I needed a fourth variety it would be considered. Changing up your blend is good and will help you fill in thin spots. I have grown many great seasons of clovers in some really challenging soils with this but I also interseed whenever a plot is struggling via drill when I can or I frost it in if need be.

I must mention Balansa clover for it is amazing. It also has its sweet spot but as a stand alone variety nothing beats it. I don't commonly blend it as it is very aggressive, tall and will out compete other clovers.. Balansa cannot be beat for tonnage, it will grow in cooler weather than any other variety, is unbelievably browse tolerant. It is a champion of cool season clovers but you will be hard pressed to find a leaf in august. It will die from the heat end of July or early August but having done an incredible job of reseeding itself will come back strong by early October. Balansa is also very tolerant of a WIDE variety of soils

megalomaniac

What I've found and seems to work well in rotation...

Fall plot with 50lbs wheat, 5lbs brassicas, 5lbs annual clover (I prefer Balansa as well). IF you get a good stand with little weed competition (won't happen this spring for me due to the severe drought), bushhog in early May and drill 10lbs dwarf sorgham/milo, 10lbs pearl millet, and 20lbs cheap Hutchinson forage beans for summer. If fall plot didn't establish, have to kill the competing grasses and broadleaf weeds chemically before planting summer crop.

The sorgham and millet provides the biomass and root system to improve soil, and is cheap. The beans will grow and vine up the sorgham stalks and provide a legume to nitrify the soil and feed deer.

After summer, bushhog the plot, then terminate with gly, then replant with wheat, clover, brassica. (One year I tried to just drill through the summer plot with the winter blend and the sorgham/ millet was too thick to allow fall plot to establish).

You can add buckwheat, iron clay peas, sunn hemp, sunflowers, etc to the summer blend, but cost of seed goes up exponentially. The blend of only sorgham, millet, and Hutchinson beans can be planted for less than $40 per acre seed cost.

To really crank out the summer biomass, you probably need to add at least 50lbs triple 13 per acre. The millet and sorgham need a lot of nitrogen.... not as much as corn, but close. But all that goes back into the dirt for future fall plots.

megalomaniac

One more advantage of Balansa... it probably the most tolerant clover for wet feet. Won't grow in standing water, but can handle going under water for short periods of time without killing it.

megalomaniac

Oh, and inevitably, some of the fall Balansa clover regenerates under the sorgham/millet. A little thin from the shading, but the advantage of the shading is I still have some alive and growing all the way through August in spots under all the sorgham/ millet.

Split Brow

For me it's crimson, ladino and arrowleaf, 25/50/25. That became my all season blend that would under normal circumstances withstand the browse and be there year round. I will also incorporate wheat into my clover plots, 50 lb per acre on established plots and 100 lbs per when planting new plots or re-establishing old plots. I have found my greatest successes in both Turkey and deer season by doing that. Wheat is quick to fill in, does not compete with clover, will absorb a lot of browse pressure while the clover spreads and gets a good start.
I am not against durana and if I needed a fourth variety it would be considered. Changing up your blend is good and will help you fill in thin spots. I have grown many great seasons of clovers in some really challenging soils with this but I also interseed whenever a plot is struggling via drill when I can or I frost it in if need be.

I must mention Balansa clover for it is amazing. It also has its sweet spot but as a stand alone variety nothing beats it. I don't commonly blend it as it is very aggressive, tall and will out compete other clovers.. Balansa cannot be beat for tonnage, it will grow in cooler weather than any other variety, is unbelievably browse tolerant. It is a champion of cool season clovers but you will be hard pressed to find a leaf in august. It will die from the heat end of July or early August but having done an incredible job of reseeding itself will come back strong by early October. Balansa is also very tolerant of a WIDE variety of soils
How well does frost seeding balansa and crimson clover work, just curious if it will reseed in the fall? May add some to my ladino this March.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Balansa will eventually out compete the crimson unless you plant like 70% crimson vs 30% balansa.
If you are planting permanent clover plots plant just balansa or the blends discussed.
If you are replanting annually then look at mega's suggestions.
Crimson is a very good reseeding clover as long as it is one of the dominant species in a plot. It is a great clover but does not like heat, dry or competition!
Balansa is the most excessive reseeding clover ever and is very hardy except for heat.
I planted 10 acres 3 years ago and have not added a clover seed since. I have turkey clover in spring, a bare dove field in September and a clover deer plot from October till season ends.

Split Brow

Balansa will eventually out compete the crimson unless you plant like 70% crimson vs 30% balansa.
If you are planting permanent clover plots plant just balansa or the blends discussed.
If you are replanting annually then look at mega's suggestions.
Crimson is a very good reseeding clover as long as it is one of the dominant species in a plot. It is a great clover but does not like heat, dry or competition!
Balansa is the most excessive reseeding clover ever and is very hardy except for heat.
I planted 10 acres 3 years ago and have not added a clover seed since. I have turkey clover in spring, a bare dove field in September and a clover deer plot from October till season ends.
Thanks for the advice!

JCDEERMAN

When you say crimson/ladino/yuchi arrowleaf - 25/50/25 is that a percentage I assume? What poundage of each per acre?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
When you say crimson/ladino/yuchi arrowleaf - 25/50/25 is that a percentage I assume? What poundage of each per acre?
You are correct, that is percentages. Keep in mind that coated crimson seed is large and volumes will appear wrong. I have recently increased my belief in clover seed rates. If I am drilling in a new plot I will use 4 lb crimson, 8 lb ladino and 4 lb arrowleaf along with 100 lb of wheat per acre. If I am drilling into an existing plot I will use 2,4 and 2 respectively with 50 lb of wheat or cereal rye. If I wanted to add a fourth variety I would reduce the crimson and arrow leaf accordingly but not the ladino or the cereal grain. Recommended rates just dont give you that carpet of clover that I like and that it takes to survive periods of heavy browse or high stress.

Latest posts