Food Plots 2023 summer plots

megalomaniac

Getting it done today!

Mix of Hutchinson forage beans, milo, pearl millet, and buckwheat. 100lbs triple 25 per acre. Ground has good moisture, but not too soft to run tractors over.

8ac down, 7 more to go!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_094406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_094406_Gallery.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20230527_094403_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_094403_Gallery.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Getting it done today!

Mix of Hutchinson forage beans, milo, pearl millet, and buckwheat. 100lbs triple 25 per acre. Ground has good moisture, but not top soft to run tractors over.

8ac down, 7 more to go!!!
How do you like that hay buster drill? About to rent one as a second machine in a several hundred acre natives planting. A lot of the ground is rough and steep. How does it handle diverse terrain? Our land pride has a much lower center of gravity.

JCDEERMAN

Such a good feeling when finished! We just finished drilling corn lightly into our clover plots (4.5 acres). On 5/13, we drilled our soybean/buckwheat/sorghum/sunn hemp mixture into our rye. Crimped on 5/19. Rye appears to be dead and a bunch of green rows coming up. I haven't seen in person and won't until 6/10. Can't wait!

JCDEERMAN

How do you like that hay buster drill? About to rent one as a second machine in a several hundred acre natives planting. A lot of the ground is rough and steep. How does it handle diverse terrain? Our land pride has a much lower center of gravity.
Which Land Pride do you have? We have the Great Plains 3P606NT. It's been great

megalomaniac

Not great on rough ground. These 2 pics were the last plot planted. Almost none level, new plot planted for the first time last fall. I'm a bit worried the drill didn't get the beans deep enough, prob 80% are just 1/8in deep as the ground is pretty hard. Should have enough of the other stuff besides beans to get a good stand, and I basically doubled the drill rate on that 4 acres.

On the rest of the plots which are level and have good topsoil, it did great with the mix.

Basically all done with summer plots save for a 2ac field which is too wet to drill today. Good feeling!!! Hope the Hutchinson beans do well... they are $33 a bag, so more economical than eagle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_145444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_145444_Gallery.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20230527_145458_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_145458_Gallery.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Which Land Pride do you have? We have the Great Plains 3P606NT. It's been great
We have the 1006NT in both colors. The great plains has been upgraded with the native grass box and the small seed box. If we get all of the USDA / NRCS work we are in for I will wear out both by december. Thats why we are renting the haybuster its all rocky cherty clay and will eat a drill up. The first 138 acres is all forbs, then 300 acres of natives and warm season grasses then theres 900 acres of rough as hell to be determined as to what gets planted or how

JCDEERMAN

We have the 1006NT in both colors. The great plains has been upgraded with the native grass box and the small seed box. If we get all of the USDA / NRCS work we are in for I will wear out both by december. Thats why we are renting the haybuster its all rocky cherty clay and will eat a drill up. The first 138 acres is all forbs, then 300 acres of natives and warm season grasses then theres 900 acres of rough as hell to be determined as to what gets planted or how
That's a lot of planting! We have the small seed box as well. But us planting 25 acres once in spring and once in fall, should last us forever (we hope).

BSK

Looked at my plots today. Basically, I little grass, some wheat with heads are almost dry, and a massive amount of crimson clover seed heads dried out. I may just mow the plots and see what happens when all that crimson clover seed hits the ground. Have thought about broadcasting buckwheat before I mow, but last time I grew buckwheat in summer, deer hardly touched it. They go crazy over it in fall though.

BSK

Incredibly wet winter and early spring. And then it turned off, just like last year.

Tell you what though; IF we keep getting regular rains, I'm going to have a heck of blackberry crop and a great white oak acorn crop. Both are loaded.

JCDEERMAN

Looked at my plots today. Basically, I little grass, some wheat with heads are almost dry, and a massive amount of crimson clover seed heads dried out. I may just mow the plots and see what happens when all that crimson clover seed hits the ground. Have thought about broadcasting buckwheat before I mow, but last time I grew buckwheat in summer, deer hardly touched it. They go crazy over it in fall though.
I've seen this done on YT by some folks. Would be interesting. And with some buckwheat mixed in, wouldn't hurt.

JCDEERMAN

Our early corn down at Cumberland city took a lot of rain after planting and I planted some in wet ground to start with. Looks like I get to replant about 34 acres tomorrow. Some of that ground is still wet.
I'm taking this is low ground? That's something I'll never have to worry about being on ridge tops

tellico4x4

We've got a bumper berry crop as well with some already red. Mowed a few trails thru some a few days ago for easier picking.
First pic red oak & second white. Been three years since we had acorns, excited!! Oh yeah, nearly 10" of rain this month!
IMG_20230527_143712147.jpg

IMG_20230527_143536078.jpg

BSK

We've got a bumper berry crop as well with some already red. Mowed a few trails thru some a few days ago for easier picking.
First pic red oak & second white. Been three years since we had acorns, excited!! Oh yeah, nearly 10" of rain this month! View attachment 180641
View attachment 180640
We didn't get anywhere near that much in May (5.5"), but we have had 33" inches already this year. Considering our annual average is around 52" that's a good start. Although this exact thing happened last year. Great rains through May and then it turned off until late October.

Latest posts