Food Plots how do you plant your plots?

DoubleRidge

For rtaylor and DoubleRidge: What do you do about the fast maturation rate of Buckwheat? Whenever I grow it, it seeds out and is done in 10-12 weeks. If I were to plant in early May, that means it would be done by mid-July.

Last year was the first time we ever planted buckwheat with spray and sow so I'm certainly no buckwheat expert....but I was just amazed at how it smothered out other weeds and how fast it grows. Also the germination rates were as high or higher than anything we've ever planted. As far as timing...we just let it go to maturity and reseed itself. Original crop started to naturally yellow and just before a rain we sowed our fall blend into the dieing buckwheat....and that year I mowed the buckwheat with bush hog over the fall blend seed.... another great quality is how well the buckwheat mows and chops up...plots we're smooth and clean looking after mowing.....so more specifically... maybe we wait until late May or early June to spray and sow the buckwheat....that would at least time out a little better for the fall planting.....I do remember last year as our fall blend germinated we also had little buckwheat sprouts popping up everywhere...which was fine with me.....I just hope the cost comes down some...$83 per bag is ridiculous.

DoubleRidge

I kept going through this and finally had to convert to spray, throw and mow no-till. Plots don't start out as pretty as tilled, but far fewer weeds down the road. Especially serecia, my nemesis.

I feel your pain on the serecia ....we have one plot on another property where it's a battle....I can knock it back with spray and mow....but you better get something growing quick or the serecia will take back over in the summer months....tough to deal with.

BigAl

I've been doing the throw and mow process last few years. It's been decent success, but this year, we've had so much rain (16.18" since July 19th) that the mowed stuff and shot up and over taken all my seed. I wish I would have sprayed all my plots then lightly disked the ground. Next year I will spray all my plots before planting. I have to many weeds not in all my plots.
Can ya send some of that rain west? I'm still waiting on some and haven't dropped a single seed.

BSK

I'm seriously considering a couple of different experiments next summer. Might try a couple of plots in pure Buckwheat. Also considering keeping a couple of plots in Crimson Clover by allowing the fall plots to seed out in May and then mowing them to naturally reseed. Then using Clethodim to keep the grasses down, plus mowing regularly to keep the Crimson from blooming out during the summer. And if we don't get another summer drought, try RR soybeans again in a plot or two (Eagle seed mix).

DoubleRidge

I'm seriously considering a couple of different experiments next summer. Might try a couple of plots in pure Buckwheat. Also considering keeping a couple of plots in Crimson Clover by allowing the fall plots to seed out in May and then mowing them to naturally reseed. Then using Clethodim to keep the grasses down, plus mowing regularly to keep the Crimson from blooming out during the summer. And if we don't get another summer drought, try RR soybeans again in a plot or two (Eagle seed mix).

We experimented with a couple of plots this year that had last year's clover and allot of grass encroachment...top sowed clover blend and bought my first bottle of clethodim and sprayed clover and also sprayed some barasica plots that had grass coming up....hadn't been back to check them yet but hope it worked. Pictures attached are last year's buckwheat, pure stand, spray and sow. I couldn't believe the weed surpression....for the spray and sow method I'd say they were the cleanest weed free plots we've had.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_150518163~3.jpg
    IMG_20210717_150518163~3.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210717_150429025~2.jpg
    IMG_20210717_150429025~2.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 49

DoubleRidge

I've been saying "one of these days" I'm going to try some eagle beans or an eagle brand summer blend....but this year wasn't the year for us with prices up so high....and looking back at the drought conditions I'm glad we didn't make that investment....but some day I do want to plant eagle RR forage type beans and see if they can handle the pressure as advertised....the testimonials are amazing.

rtaylor

For rtaylor and DoubleRidge: What do you do about the fast maturation rate of Buckwheat? Whenever I grow it, it seeds out and is done in 10-12 weeks. If I were to plant in early May, that means it would be done by mid-July.
When I see the seeds turning brown about mid July I will bush hog it and let come back up all over again. I figure by letting it grow up twice in a summer that's double the green manure to help build up my soil. Plus I'm usually trying to get 2 blooms out of buckwheat in the summer so my bees have something to forage on when nothing else is blooming.

BSK

When I see the seeds turning brown about mid July I will bush hog it and let come back up all over again. I figure by letting it grow up twice in a summer that's double the green manure to help build up my soil. Plus I'm usually trying to get 2 blooms out of buckwheat in the summer so my bees have something to forage on when nothing else is blooming.
So if you mow the Buckwheat before it finishes blooming out, it will regrow?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Serecia sucks. Remedy is a good spray for it
I'll tell on myself here. I had about 2.5 acres that I thought would be a good holding plot for deer to help keep them out of the ducks holes I plant in Stewart county for next year but it was absolutely covered in serecia is so I mowed it twice and waited for it to come back then sprayed it with a hard dose of gly with a good surfactant. Success! Killed it dead! Got busy and didn't get back till last week. Checked it to consider next spring and found a rather robust stand of Johnson grass…..

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I've been saying "one of these days" I'm going to try some eagle beans or an eagle brand summer blend....but this year wasn't the year for us with prices up so high....and looking back at the drought conditions I'm glad we didn't make that investment....but some day I do want to plant eagle RR forage type beans and see if they can handle the pressure as advertised....the testimonials are amazing.
Get the Gamekeeper southern blend

JCDEERMAN

I'll tell on myself here. I had about 2.5 acres that I thought would be a good holding plot for deer to help keep them out of the ducks holes I plant in Stewart county for next year but it was absolutely covered in sere is so I mowed it twice and waited for it to come back then sprayed it with a hard dose of gly with a good surfactant. Success! Killed it dead! Got busy and didn't get back till last week. Checked it to consider next spring and found a rather robust stand of Johnson grass…..
We never had a problem and never even saw Johnson grass since we bought our place in 2000, until about 5 years ago. Only thing we can figure is someone that borrowed our bushhog mowed and then it came back and we mowed and the Johnson grass spread seed that the bushhog collected on top. We now pressure wash any equipment used on other properties when it comes back. Almost got it under control now, but it definitely almost took over one of our best fields.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I have recently added a 1 row of that exact model without the no till tool bar. Took it to an Amish welding shop to have them fabricate a way to mount a coulter in front of the openers. I want it to replant corn rows hogs root up and to add a a little flare to a dove field and to plant my popcorn and sweet corn

Latest posts