TSS Question

deerfever

I normally shoot Federal Hevyweight #7 and have had great success with them out of my 20 gauge. I think when they come out I will try the new Tss loads that federal is making. My first thought was to try the # 9 . I then read the # 9 shot may be a reduced recoil load that travels 1000fps . This may be an ignorant question but will that matter? I figure that would be a good load for my 9 year old also. He currently shoot federal heavyweight#7 in the 2.75 inch load. Thanks

TheLBLman

I think the original info regarding Federal only having a "reduced" load for 20 gauge was an error.
Believe the new TSS 20 gauge will be available in 1 1/2 oz full velocity (as well as a reduced load).

Keeping in mind the TSS is 20% "heavier" or denser than the Federal Heavyweight pellets . . . . . .

It's likely a #9 "reduced" TSS load might still have a comparable effective range as the original full-power #7 Heavyweights, simply because the #9 TSS will have more pellets per ounce, and with a #9 TSS pellet having comparable penetration to a #7 HW.

Since on the subject of juvenile hunters, or any of us for that matter,
we can use #9 TSS in a more open choke, which can provide larger diameter patterns (less chance of a miss),
and maybe still have the same or greater effective range of traditional lead #5 turkey loads with much tighter chokes.

A typical old 20 ga single shot with a fixed modified choke will possibly be deadly at 40 yards with #9 TSS.
Just have to pattern it to see.

deerfever

Good information! I use a Carlsons non ported .575 in my gun but for my son I use the factory modified for the same reason you just gave LBL man, He killed his first Bird last year and it more than did the job. Thanks Rockhound I have seen some of your pattern picture and trust anything you say on TSS! Have any of you shot it with the carlsons tube? That tube shoots the heavyweight #7 with a great pattern out to 40 yards.

Andy S.

Rockhound":2n00lc5g said:
Yes it will be deadly. Do not think twice about it
Ditto.

To add, the Godfather of TSS reloading (Hal) primarily shoots a 1000 fps load of TSS 9.5s out of a lightweight 28 gauge and it's plenty deadly to 50 yards, with little recoil.

Latest posts