Migra tss

Bgoodman30

easy, marketing and cost saving. When you add 7s to it they take up more room and over the long haul you save money is shot. Then just market it as its better and hits harder from farther then straight 9s.

Stacked loads are their thing. If you would have asked me a few years ago I would of thought you needed some 7's mixed in for extra killing power..

Rockhound

easy, marketing and cost saving. When you add 7s to it they take up more room and over the long haul you save money is shot. Then just market it as its better and hits harder from farther then straight 9s.
You won't save any money over a straight load of 9s or 8s

REN

You won't save any money over a straight load of 9s or 8s
not right away but long term you will in a 20 gauge hull depending on the % of each. if you can take up more space (and leave more dead space for filler) then you use less overall shot long term. Yes the overall shot weight is still 1 5/8 but 7s are heavier and bigger so you can use less and then off set that with the 9s. if you are buying the shot at huge bulk prices you can use less of each one.

Im not a math/physics wizard so maybe Im off, but from my understanding of it all I am on tract.

if you are doing it at a much smaller scale then it prob wont shift the needle much in the savings aspect.

You may be smarter then me though :) Maybe my math doesnt check out

Last edited:

megalomaniac

not right away but long term you will in a 20 gauge hull depending on the % of each. if you can take up more space (and leave more dead space for filler) then you use less overall shot long term. Yes the overall shot weight is still 1 5/8 but 7s are heavier and bigger so you can use less and then off set that with the 9s. if you are buying the shot at huge bulk prices you can use less of each one.

Im not a math/physics wizard so maybe Im off, but from my understanding of it all I am on tract.

if you are doing it at a much smaller scale then it prob wont shift the needle much in the savings aspect.

You may be smarter then me though :) Maybe my math doesnt check out
LOL, your math doesn't check out :)

Now thats assuming the price of #7s per kilo from China is exactly the same price as #9s per kilo from China. When I looked into handloading TSS 4 or 5 years ago and buying 10 kilos from China, 9s were a little more expensive than 7s. If that is still the case (I haven't looked in 4 or 5 years), then the manufacturers CAN save a little substituting 7s for 9s.

But 1 5/8oz is 1 5/8oz.. whether that is 7s or 9s. They aren't buying by the pellet, but by the kilo. Biggest cost savings is ordering a ton of shot in bulk from China. That's where the manufacturers save big bucks compared to handloaders in the states just buying a half kilo at a time.

REN

LOL, your math doesn't check out :)

Now thats assuming the price of #7s per kilo from China is exactly the same price as #9s per kilo from China. When I looked into handloading TSS 4 or 5 years ago and buying 10 kilos from China, 9s were a little more expensive than 7s. If that is still the case (I haven't looked in 4 or 5 years), then the manufacturers CAN save a little substituting 7s for 9s.

But 1 5/8oz is 1 5/8oz.. whether that is 7s or 9s. They aren't buying by the pellet, but by the kilo. Biggest cost savings is ordering a ton of shot in bulk from China. That's where the manufacturers save big bucks compared to handloaders in the states just buying a half kilo at a time.

That's in part what I meant though. Last I looked recently 7s for cheaper for sure. Sub half and half or 60/40 you have savings.

Rockhound

From what I've looked at, the only shot that's higher is when you get smaller than 9s. 9.5s or 10s are usually higher. I highly doubt they are using filler of any kind in the 20 gauge.

Latest posts