20 gauge tss

knightrider

megalomaniac

You can load your own.
I haven't shot any factory produced ammo in the past 20 years other than rimfire or shotshells. I'm a HUGE handloader. But I just cannot justify reloading TSS shotshells since I usually only shoot 5 or 6 birds a year between myself and kids. Add a couple more shells when I get a new brand to pattern, but still, it just isn't worth fooling with when I'm shooting well less than two 5rd boxes per year.

Bgoodman30

I haven't shot any factory produced ammo in the past 20 years other than rimfire or shotshells. I'm a HUGE handloader. But I just cannot justify reloading TSS shotshells since I usually only shoot 5 or 6 birds a year between myself and kids. Add a couple more shells when I get a new brand to pattern, but still, it just isn't worth fooling with when I'm shooting well less than two 5rd boxes per year.

I got a buddy who does a ton of pistol/rifle reloading. I bought him some TSS and he tried loading but patterns were terrible so he gave up wasn't worth the effort i guess..

Creek bottoms

I load everything too. I bought the components when they were cheaper and readily available. Load data was proven from Hal Abbott in NC, who I bought the shot from. I like fooling with it. Whatever gets you through the night, I guess.

TheLBLman

Do they kick hard? asking for a friend
The amount of "felt" recoil boils down to several factors,
including whether the gun is an autoloader, or not,
the weight of that gun,
then the combination of payload (1 1/2 oz in this case)
x velocity of that payload.

Also, recoil pad (or not), even type of recoil pad.
Then there's the issue of your clothing.
Heavy coat, you feel less than with just wearing a shirt.

In my very light 20 ga autoloader,
the recoil I "feel" from this is less
than a 1 7/8 oz load from my much heavier 12 ga autoloader.

Not sure exactly why, but even with the same payload,
my 20 ga guns seem to have less recoil than my 12s.

TheLBLman

To me not at all
Try one in a lightweight youth model break-open single shot, that doesn't have a recoil pad 😆

The recoil is no different with same weight of TSS than with same weight of lead.
1 1/2 oz is 1 1/2 oz with either.
Any recoil difference is related to something other than TSS.

In my 12 gauges, before TSS, I was shooting 2 oz lead loads coming out at @ 1300 fps.
With TSS, my load is typically 1 3/4 oz TSS coming out at @ 1200 fps.
So in that comparison, "my" TSS loads there have noticeably less recoil than the heavier, faster lead loads.

In my 20 gauges, before TSS, I was shooting 1 1/4 oz lead loads coming out at @ 1100 fps.
With TSS, my load is typically 1 1/2 oz TSS coming out at @ 1100 fps.
So in this comparison, the TSS loads have greater recoil than my former "lighter" lead loads.
Interestingly, it's still not "felt" as hard as the heavier 12 ga guns with a 1 3/4 oz load.

megalomaniac

I load everything too. I bought the components when they were cheaper and readily available. Load data was proven from Hal Abbott in NC, who I bought the shot from. I like fooling with it. Whatever gets you through the night, I guess.
sure thing, I'm sure it's rewarding to roll your own. In my case, I just can't justify taking up the space in my reloading closet for shotshells....

I thought HARD about it when my son started getting interested in shooting skeet. But that would have been a progressive press for loading hundreds of rounds at a time.

knightrider

Try one in a lightweight youth model break-open single shot, that doesn't have a recoil pad 😆

The recoil is no different with same weight of TSS than with same weight of lead.
1 1/2 oz is 1 1/2 oz with either.
Any recoil difference is related to something other than TSS.

In my 12 gauges, before TSS, I was shooting 2 oz lead loads coming out at @ 1300 fps.
With TSS, my load is typically 1 3/4 oz TSS coming out at @ 1200 fps.
So in that comparison, "my" TSS loads there have noticeably less recoil than the heavier, faster lead loads.

In my 20 gauges, before TSS, I was shooting 1 1/4 oz lead loads coming out at @ 1100 fps.
With TSS, my load is typically 1 1/2 oz TSS coming out at @ 1100 fps.
So in this comparison, the TSS loads have greater recoil than my former "lighter" lead loads.
Interestingly, it's still not "felt" as hard as the heavier 12 ga guns with a 1 3/4 oz load.
Duh, im shooting a youth model semi auto with a recoil pad(why wouldnt you😂)and after all the years of 3.5 21/4 ounce loads of black high velocity lead shells, no they have no kick. Surely nobody doesnt know how the physics of 11/2 onces at 1100 fps is still 11/2 onces at 1100 fos no matter the gauge or shot material

TheLBLman

Oh, I've shot some 2 1/4 oz 12 ga loads, and even in a very heavy gun, they kicked like a mule.
That's why I now mainly shoot 1 3/4 oz in 12 ga, and 1 1/2 oz in 20 ga.
And my "go to" turkey guns in all gauges are semi-autos with good recoil pads :)

By the way, both myself and others have killed a few longbeards with 1 1/8 oz 20 ga loads. Once the birds are under 35 yds, may not matter much what you're shooting.

TheLBLman

I have been wondering when the annual pixie dust propaganda would crank up.
Like I said, 20 ga TSS vs 12 ga LEAD loads.
It's not propaganda.

Of course, without a doubt, a 2 oz of TSS from a 12
surpasses 1 1/2 oz of TSS from a 20.

But I'm at the point of not caring that my 12 adds a couple yards range.
Why carry a relatively heavy 12 with TSS (or lead)
when the lighter loaded 20 is still deadly out to 45 yds or beyond?

For me, it's not about extending range, but reducing weight (and recoil).
We are working on a 1 ounce load of 10 for the twenty for under fourty shots, no kick and plenty of kill
There you go. And no doubt, CONSISTENTLY DEADLY out to 40 yds.
Such simply could not be accomplished with lead loads.
TSS also produces more uniform patterns, meaning a turkey's head is less likely to find a hole in pattern. It can also allow you to use a more open choke, eliminating many of the misses some are experiencing with their super-tight "turkey" chokes.

If I buy a new dedicated turkey gun, it will probably be a 28 ga autoloader, and the reason will be because it can be made, with TSS, consistently deadly out to 40-45 yds. Such was unheard of before TSS.

Last edited:

Latest posts