20 gauge tss

megalomaniac

does bowhunting count? i've missed 13 in a row now with nary a feather to show for the effort...:eek: 😄
I've never released an arrow. Tried hard back in the late 90s, but got busted everytime I drew.

Well, I take that back, I did draw and kill a tom during deer archery season 25 years ago. Killed him as a bachelor group walked under my stand under a chinkipin raining down acorns. Took him home and just felt empty inside. A bird I ambushed and would never get to hear gobble the following spring.

TheLBLman

........and will kill beyond 40 if the pellet density is adequate in the pattern. Not advocating it, just pointing that out.
I would guess penetration/energy at least deadly on head/neck shots to 45 yds or more.
I've seen the #9s completely penetrate a turkey breast at 46 yds.

Federal was making some #8/#10 "Blended" 20 gauge loads a couple years ago.
Seemed like a good combo, but apparently most users are just very happy with #9s.

megalomaniac

I would guess penetration/energy at least deadly on head/neck shots to 45 yds or more.
I've seen the #9s completely penetrate a turkey breast at 46 yds.

Federal was making some #8/#10 "Blended" 20 gauge loads a couple years ago.
Seemed like a good combo, but apparently most users are just very happy with #9s.
8s are just totally overkill for turkeys unless you plan on shooting them at 60 plus yards. I think most folks now realize that pattern density trumps shot size at 40 yards, and most don't want to sacrifice pellet count that the 8s force you to accept.

Hard to beat 9s, but I wouldn't mind shooting a duplex of 9s/10s if the pattern was even. That being said, I am a little nervous any errant 10s might not make it all the way through the breast like the 9s usually do. And biting down hard on any sized tss pellet is a recipie for a dental repair.

30-06 type of guy

I had good luck with 3" 1 5/8 ounce 20 gauge loads from Apex but they are always out of stock and have gone up to about $58 plus shipping and tax.

I recently bought 3 boxes from a guy on FB...his name is Aaron Satterfield, he is from Ohio I believe. His company name is Satties, LLC or you can find him by searching Satties Fatties on FB. 3 boxes of 3" 1 5/8 ounce TSS #9 for $130.00 to my door. They look, shoot and pattern perfectly.
Ordered a box from him yesterday. Patterns he sent me. Did find 1 YouTube video as well
IMG_4928.png
IMG_4927.png

TheLBLman

I think most folks now realize that pattern density trumps shot size at 40 yards . . . . .
Your are 1,000 percent correct for head/neck shots, which imo are the most ethical shots to take, and take only, plus the only way you prevent having shot up breasts. I eat my birds, don't want pellets in the breast.

Some have brought up the issue of "thumping" vs "dropping".
Some hunters want to see a bird knocked off his feet (THUMPED HIM!).
I'm happy just seeing them drop dead in place, which is more commonly what happens with TSS head/neck shots.

#5 lead loads "thump" better because they they tend to "knock" more than "penetrate" compared to smaller diameter TSS (like TSS #9). Lead also "flattens" on impact (imparting more kinetic energy onto the turkey) whereas TSS is much harder, just zips thru faster without the "drag" of a distorted pellet.

It's irrelevant that both #5 lead and #9 TSS completely penetrate a turkey's head at 40-plus yds. The turkey dies either way, assuming at least 1 pellet hits the brain or spinal column. Those odds increase with a denser pattern, irrelevant whether lead or TSS. It's just that denser patterns can be had with TSS, and have enough energy to completely pass thru a turkey at greater ranges than can lead.

Think of the difference between shooting a hanging piece of paper at 40 yds with #9 birdshot,
compared to hitting that hanging piece of paper with a baseball bat. One hardly moves the piece of paper, the other "knocks" it.

So some turkey hunters have this erroneous assumption that lead is better for killing turkeys because it "thumps" them better.

david k.

Ordered a box from him yesterday. Patterns he sent me. Did find 1 YouTube video as wellView attachment 213997View attachment 213998
Pretty solid! When I ordered he actually tried to talk me into the 2.75" loads but I insisted in the 3"…it probably wouldn't have made a difference in performance actually!

My Pinhoti choke is .585" but the pattern was pretty close to those in the pics.

30-06 type of guy

Pretty solid! When I ordered he actually tried to talk me into the 2.75" loads but I insisted in the 3"…it probably wouldn't have made a difference in performance actually!

My Pinhoti choke is .585" but the pattern was pretty close to those in the pics.
He did the same with me as well but I went with the 3" anyways. If my guns like it then I'll order me more for that price.

Andy S.

When I ordered he actually tried to talk me into the 2.75" loads but I insisted in the 3"…it probably wouldn't have made a difference in performance actually!
You shooting a pump? I'd be more inclined to shoot 2.75" if I had an auto, AND the payload was equal or near the same. My 1 5/8 ounce handloads for my 20G auto measure 2 5/8" when completely finished and ready to load into gun.

david k.

You shooting a pump? I'd be more inclined to shoot 2.75" if I had an auto, AND the payload was equal or near the same. My 1 5/8 ounce handloads for my 20G auto measure 2 5/8" when completely finished and ready to load into gun.
I have 2 pumps...Daniel's youth 870 and I bought a Mossy 500 Bantam last year that I'm setting up.

Satterfield loads both the 2.75" and 3" shells with 1 5/8 ounce just a little less powder in the 2.75"...he said they are about 100fps slower than the 3"

Latest posts