Fiocchi 20ga TSS

Gravey

Anybody ever shot these? Saw a sale on them for $36.99. I've still got hand loads @REN rolled up for me so don't need any but thought about putting them back. Only thing is they're 1 3/8 oz where I think the ones I have are 1 5/8.
IMG_6041.jpeg

Gravey

Following! I shoot Apex with good results, but have seen these and have been curious about them.
That's what I figured I'd go to at some point but if these are less with the same results I'd try them.

1 3/8oz at 1225 out of a 20 gauge weight gun! Wheww... I'll pass on that.
Why…recoil? No idea what the hand loads are but the Apex 3" 1 5/8 oz is 1175.

megalomaniac

They all gonna have tradeoffs due to pressure
Boss Tom... full 2oz at only 1050fps
Most others... 1 5/8 at 1100 to 1150ish
Fiocchi 1 3/8 at 1225.

(Personally, I'm not a fan of Apex's 1 5/8 at 1175 fps... those are loaded right on the pressure line with no margin for error)

What do you want? More penetration? go faster. Denser pattern, go heavier payload.

Personally, I feel the 1 1/2oz or 1 5/8oz loads are the sweet spot between payload for pattern density versus speed/ penetration. Especially since I have no problems in the penetration department with 9 TSS's at the distances I shoot them.

And I also think we get too hung up on trying to get the perfect 200/200 pattern at 40y... when in all reality, a 100/100 is going to kill the snot out of them every time.

REN

That's what I figured I'd go to at some point but if these are less with the same results I'd try them.

Why…recoil? No idea what the hand loads are but the Apex 3" 1 5/8 oz is 1175.

the ones I loaded for you are 1 5/8 at 1074 fps. the other one I load (and personally use) is 1 5/8 at 1130fps but both are some of Hals original load options

Creek bottoms

the ones I loaded for you are 1 5/8 at 1074 fps. the other one I load (and personally use) is 1 5/8 at 1130fps but both are some of Hals original load options
We're talking TSS and not lead, but this principal applies 'less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead'. I'll take a heavier payload over velocity. Hal's loads are good ones.

megalomaniac

Whoops! 1074 fps, 11878 psi my b wrote it wrong
Whew... I was worried you were going to lose your right eye with that load eventually.

I used to really push the edge of reloading back in my 20s... load em up till you got a sticky bolt lift, then back off 0.3g, adjust seating depth for groups and you are good to go! Book max was my starting point!

Now I'm a little more cautious:)

TheLBLman

Generally speaking, I would expect a faster velocity 1 3/8 oz load of #9s
to put significantly fewer pellets in a 10" circle at ANY range
than a slower velocity 1 5/8 oz load of #9s.

Slower velocity usually means tighter, more uniform patterns with fewer "flyers".

Even leaving the muzzle at only a "slow" 1,000 fps,
a single #9 TSS pellet should shoot completely thru a turkey's head at 45 yds?

megalomaniac

Generally speaking, I would expect a faster velocity 1 3/8 oz load of #9s
to put significantly fewer pellets in a 10" circle at ANY range
than a slower velocity 1 5/8 oz load of #9s.

Slower velocity usually means tighter, more uniform patterns with fewer "flyers".

Even leaving the muzzle at only a "slow" 1,000 fps,
a single #9 TSS pellet should shoot completely thru a turkey's head at 45 yds?
A 9 TSS is gonna put a whoop ass on a turkeys head at 40y yards whether it's going 900 fps or 1275fps.

But I will say this... when I switched from the faster federal 1.5oz loads to the slower but heavier payload boss tom loads, some of the stray pellets that hit the breast didn't pass all the way through the bird. Maube it was just the higher pellet count making it more likely there would be retained pellets, but I noticed a few retained pellets in the breast with the kids reduced recoil TSS loads (1000 fps) as well.

That's the biggest advantage of the faster loads... more likely to get a complete pass thru the breast meat... which means less likely to break a tooth!

Bgoodman30

A 9 TSS is gonna put a whoop ass on a turkeys head at 40y yards whether it's going 900 fps or 1275fps.

But I will say this... when I switched from the faster federal 1.5oz loads to the slower but heavier payload boss tom loads, some of the stray pellets that hit the breast didn't pass all the way through the bird. Maube it was just the higher pellet count making it more likely there would be retained pellets, but I noticed a few retained pellets in the breast with the kids reduced recoil TSS loads (1000 fps) as well.

That's the biggest advantage of the faster loads... more likely to get a complete pass thru the breast meat... which means less likely to break a tooth!

Honestly If they provide similar results I might make the switch just for this reason..

TheLBLman

Honestly If they provide similar results I might make the switch just for this reason..
I haven't tried these Fiocchi TSS loads, but see no way their 1 3/8 oz load should be expected to have as dense a pattern as a 1 5/8 oz load.

A 1 5/8 oz payload contains 18% more pellets than a 1 3/8 oz payload.
Only reasonable to expect an 18% denser pattern with 1 5/8 over 1 3/8?

And with 18% less of the most expensive component,
they should cost less?

Bgoodman30

I haven't tried these Fiocchi TSS loads, but see no way their 1 3/8 oz load should be expected to have as dense a pattern as a 1 5/8 oz load.

A 1 5/8 oz payload contains 18% more pellets than a 1 3/8 oz payload.
Only reasonable to expect an 18% denser pattern with 1 5/8 over 1 3/8?

And with 18% less of the most expensive component,
they should cost less?

I would like to see it on paper. 18% less would be 106 less pellets than Apex that sounds like a lot but not sure 450 in a 30" is bad?

TheLBLman

Neither good nor bad.
It's just that 1 5/8 is 18% more than 1 3/8.

I think 2 of my last 4 longbeards were taken with 1 1/8 oz of just some "HTL" loads, which are not as dense as TSS (but much denser than lead).

How much payload is "enough"? Just depends on what you're doing and where you drawn your lines.

SCN game me some 1 1/8 oz HTL loads to use with a lady who had just had shoulder surgery. Very low recoil. I saw no reason not to just use them up myself when it seems I was unlikely to get a shot over 30 yds (which is actually many if not most my setups).

No reason to waste good ammo.

Dead is dead, enough is enough.

REN

Neither good nor bad.
It's just that 1 5/8 is 18% more than 1 3/8.

I think 2 of my last 4 longbeards were taken with 1 1/8 oz of just some "HTL" loads, which are not as dense as TSS (but much denser than lead).

How much payload is "enough"? Just depends on what you're doing and where you drawn your lines.

SCN game me some 1 1/8 oz HTL loads to use with a lady who had just had shoulder surgery. Very low recoil. I saw no reason not to just use them up myself when it seems I was unlikely to get a shot over 30 yds (which is actually many if not most my setups).

Dead is dead, enough is enough.

there is no such thing as to much payload in a turkey load for me lol. If I can fire 4000 pellets downrange I would haha. Thats just me though, the line is not payload amounts its cost efficiency. At some point the cost vs payoff is where I put the line personally.