Hand loading TSS

megalomaniac

How's this as apex loads now for 20 ga are 15$ a shot with shipping and taxes for the one box.
I don't pay $15 pet shell dunno why anyone would spend that. I posted a few weeks ago when powder valley put custom shells on sale for $36 per box of 5.

I still have a box or two of federals I paid $25 for.

Prob won't ever see this again, but I bought 15 boxes of Federals from basspro 5y or 6y ago for $13 per box.

I just don't feel the argument that rolling your own saves money if you are savvy shopping. Sure, I get the argument that rolling your own and killing a bird with them is satisfying. I used to be like that with centerfire cartridges... but I got over that feeling after a couple decades. I still haven't bought a single factory round for bottleneck cartridges in 30 years, but it's not because of saving money or enjoyment of killing deer with my handloads... its because I can get demonstrably improved performance (smaller groups) from my handloads over factory offerings. If I felt the factory TSS loads I buy were lacking in the performance dept, I would def handload. But they aren't. With all the factory varieties I've tried. If you put the red dot on his head 40y and in, he's dead... 100% of the time. No questions asked, just automatic.

Andy S.

I just don't feel the argument that rolling your own saves money.................
As has been stated on here numerous times, the cost of shells for turkey hunting is a drop in the bucket in the big picture, all things considered. Roll your own as a hobby, but don't think you are saving enough money to make a difference.

Andy S.

I started probably around 15 years ago, before most knew what it was. Loaded it in a 10 gauge šŸ¤£ now I load 12 and 20.
I've got some 10G and 12G components that I need to "unload" and move down the road. I doubt I will ever load another 12G TSS shell, much less a 10G. For turkey hunting, TSS was made for sub-gauges.

REN

I don't pay $15 pet shell dunno why anyone would spend that. I posted a few weeks ago when powder valley put custom shells on sale for $36 per box of 5.

I still have a box or two of federals I paid $25 for.

Prob won't ever see this again, but I bought 15 boxes of Federals from basspro 5y or 6y ago for $13 per box.

I just don't feel the argument that rolling your own saves money if you are savvy shopping. Sure, I get the argument that rolling your own and killing a bird with them is satisfying. I used to be like that with centerfire cartridges... but I got over that feeling after a couple decades. I still haven't bought a single factory round for bottleneck cartridges in 30 years, but it's not because of saving money or enjoyment of killing deer with my handloads... its because I can get demonstrably improved performance (smaller groups) from my handloads over factory offerings. If I felt the factory TSS loads I buy were lacking in the performance dept, I would def handload. But they aren't. With all the factory varieties I've tried. If you put the red dot on his head 40y and in, he's dead... 100% of the time. No questions asked, just automatic.

Tbh I started YEARS ago not so much for the price cut but it was when federal was changing wads and stuff year to year so they always shot different depending on which box you got

This way I know the load is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago when I started. Yeah they price is cheaper if you split it with a buddy or 2 but honestly the consistency is why I originally started

Southern Sportsman

As others have explained, you won't save much money. Some, in the long run, but not enough to justify the time and effort, from a purely monetary standpoint. However, I highly recomend it. I started hand loading in 2013 when TSS was not commercially available. I don't know if I would have done so if loads were available like they are now, but I'm really glad I got into it. It's a great side-hobby, you can try different loads and load variations to get exactly what your gun likes; it gives you something fun and turkey-hunting-related to do in Feb and early March; and if you stock up on components, you'll never worry about load availability, ammo shortages, manufacturers changing components (which can impact performance), etc. I should never need to buy another turkey shell for 20 ga, .410, or 12 ga (although I don't expect to shoot any more with a 12 gauge). And I know exactly what's in each load and how it will perform, every time. I'll roll my own until I'm too old to do it. Then I'll make my son load them for me.

Jbird22

As has been stated on here numerous times, the cost of shells for turkey hunting is a drop in the bucket in the big picture, all things considered. Roll your own as a hobby, but don't think you are saving enough money to make a difference.
Another point is the majority of us got started loading TSS prior to it being commercially available. I agree that if you can find it on sale, it "can" be best to buy factory shells. However, there is no guarantee those shells will pattern acceptably out of your gun/choke setup. As for me, I know that my shells/gun/choke will produce predictable patterns from now on being I have a lifetime supply components for said loads.

Last edited:

Andy S.

I started hand loading in 2013 when TSS was not commercially available.

Another point is the majority of us got started loading TSS prior to it being commercially available.
Concur, and the main driver that catapulted me into rolling my own back then. The stark irony for me is I mainly hunt/kill turkeys in TN hardwoods where TSS is not really needed (20-30 yards). With that said, I do enjoy toting my light, nimble, compact, reliable and effective 20G.

Gobble4me757

Concur, and the main driver that catapulted me into rolling my own back then. The stark irony for me is I mainly hunt/kill turkeys in TN hardwoods where TSS is not really needed (20-30 yards). With that said, I do enjoy toting my light, nimble, compact, reliable and effective 20G.
Even in hardwoods, I blasted through a sapling with longbeard 5s on some public land in bama at 20 yards and joker flew off. That's when I made the switch years ago. It's number of pellets with the sub gauges that did it for me. IMO there's absolutely no reason to use a 12ga tss

knightrider

Even in hardwoods, I blasted through a sapling with longbeard 5s on some public land in bama at 20 yards and joker flew off. That's when I made the switch years ago. It's number of pellets with the sub gauges that did it for me. IMO there's absolutely no reason to use a 12ga tss
Of corse there is, 800 little#9 headed towards a gobblers noggin is awesome šŸ˜‚

30-06 type of guy

I wish I could find someone that loads 16 gauge TSS.
Here you go. I'm shooting his 20ga loads. Quick responder
IMG_5019.jpeg

megalomaniac

Damn! They don't give that stuff away, do they. Whew!
and worth every single penny in a 20g!!!

but Satterfields' prices are reasonable... I usually buy 5 boxes at a time, so that would work out to $42 per box of 5, including shipping. Not sure if he collects sales tax or not. But I'm a little leery of 1 5/8oz at 1200 fps.

Latest posts