Hand loading TSS

tntrkkllr

Is it any cheaper to reload as opposed to just buying manufactured?
At first it'll be more expensive BUT now that almost every thing is readily available it'll be a little cheaper. But with loading TSS for turkeys it's not about the cost it's more about being part of the process and knowing that you got that bird with your own load with all the work that goes into being successful

megalomaniac

Is it any cheaper to reload as opposed to just buying manufactured?
Depends on how much you are paying for shells.

Figure around $4 per 1 5/8 oz payload.for shot, and another $0.75 for all the other components (hull, wad, primer, powder, overshot card, buffer, etc.). Now you can really save some serious $$$ if you get a group up to buy 22 kilos of shot directly from China.

Personally, I don't ever spend more than $7 to $9 per shell from manufacturers, so there isn't much of a cost savings for me to handload. If I were paying $12 to $13 for shell, I could justify cost of equipment.

Last edited:

Andy S.

OP - how many TSS shells do you think you will shoot at turkeys over next 5 years? 10 years? If the answer is 3-4 a year, like a lot of hunters, just buy your TSS shells, unless you are really into reloading and want another part time hobby. As mentioned, some components are scarce at the moment, thus why I suggest compiling components year or so out before you plan to load your first round. Good luck.

Gobble4me757

Depends on how much you are paying for shells.

Figure around $4 per 1 5/8 oz payload.for shot, and another $0.75 for all the other components (hull, wad, primer, powder, overshot card, buffer, etc.). Now you can really save some serious $$$ if you get a group up to buy 22 kilos of shot directly from China.

Personally, I don't ever spend more than $7 to $9 per shell from manufacturers, so there isn't much of a cost savings for me to handload. If I were paying $12 to $13 for shell, I could justify cost of equipment.
How's this as apex loads now for 20 ga are 15$ a shot with shipping and taxes for the one box.

Gobble4me757

I just started. Thanks to some help by friends back in bama and a guy I met from old gobbler in Louisiana. I killed 6 birds and wounded another between bama, Florida and Tenn last year so for me it's worth it. I calculated a box of apex loads now after taxes is around 15$ a shell. For my first 50 loads, I'm paying 14.5$ a shell as I didn't have anything to get into it and that's factoring in 500 components and a cheap drill press from harbor freight and all the other things needed. After the first 50, it will cost me 4.6$ a shell for the next 450. Plus it's awesome doing it. Fun customizing your shells and playing with the patterns etc. it's addicting.

I also just built a shot trap with all free materials. Got the wood from some amigos building a house and the steel from buddies as well as some blankets from a uh hospital 😂 it worked pretty good…will tweak to improve it. Recovered 3.5 shells out of the 6 we shot today. I def flung a good many in the grass as I was hitting the blankets 😂
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3071.jpeg
IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg
IMG_3077.jpeg

Stingray

I just started. Thanks to some help by friends back in bama and a guy I met from old gobbler in Louisiana. I killed 6 birds and wounded another between bama, Florida and Tenn last year so for me it's worth it. I calculated a box of apex loads now after taxes is around 15$ a shell. For my first 50 loads, I'm paying 14.5$ a shell as I didn't have anything to get into it and that's factoring in 500 components and a cheap drill press from harbor freight and all the other things needed. After the first 50, it will cost me 4.6$ a shell for the next 450. Plus it's awesome doing it. Fun customizing your shells and playing with the patterns etc. it's addicting.

I also just built a shot trap with all free materials. Got the wood from some amigos building a house and the steel from buddies as well as some blankets from a uh hospital 😂 it worked pretty good…will tweak to improve it. Recovered 3.5 shells out of the 6 we shot today. I def flung a good many in the grass as I was hitting the blankets 😂 View attachment 219164View attachment 219165View attachment 219162View attachment 219161View attachment 219163
Works great..

Latest posts