TSS Loads

gasman

Being as i'm relatively new to turkey hunting, I see all these posts about TSS loads. What makes these so special? Is it just because its a lighter shot and you can get more distance from a smaller guage shotgun? Or is it that they cost more and therefore its the latest craze? About 40-50 yards would be a long shot for me to take, as i want to be up close and personal with my kill. Im getting upwards of 125 shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards with lead from my Mossberg 500 with a Carlsons .660 choke. Why would I need more than that? Remember guys, I'm new to turkey hunting and just curious.

Andy S.

Sufficient pattern density and penetration in subgauges (20G, 28G & .410G) is the big plus due to loading with #9 TSS (tungsten) pellets. You can tote a very light gun that is more than effective at 45 yards for those 1/2 day to all day hunts/hikes. Tungsten is costly, but when you consider that the average turkey hunter shoots 3-4 times all season, the cost of shells are a drop in the bucket compared to license, gas, travel time, gun, food, clothing, vest, calls, ATV, etc.

Boll Weevil

gasman":w0if5ghl said:
Why would I need more than that?
Not at all to take anything away from Andy's response because it is 100% spot-on. If your current setup delivers an evenly distributed pattern with pellet count in the 120s the short answer to your question is, "You dont." Keep shots inside 40 yards and you're good to go.

Just out of curiosity, think I'll post a poll to see how many still hunt mostly w/lead vs. heavier than lead (HTL) shells.

REN

Agree 100% with Andy, Ill add that I really got tired of shells changing components and from year to year my pattern would change even with the same shells. Loved being able to load my own and know its the same everytime I shoot it AND it is much more effective then what I can get off the shelf.

gasman

Andy S.":13m91ccn said:
Sufficient pattern density and penetration in subgauges (20G, 28G & .410G) is the big plus due to loading with #9 TSS (tungsten) pellets. You can tote a very light gun that is more than effective at 45 yards for those 1/2 day to all day hunts/hikes. Tungsten is costly, but when you consider that the average turkey hunter shoots 3-4 times all season, the cost of shells are a drop in the bucket compared to license, gas, travel time, gun, food, clothing, vest, calls, ATV, etc.

So basically what you are saying is that its main purpose if to allow the hunter to take a smaller guage, lighter weight shotgun to the field with the same effectiveness as the guy who takes the heavier 12 guage?

REN

gasman":2jvadddg said:
Andy S.":2jvadddg said:

So basically what you are saying is that its main purpose if to allow the hunter to take a smaller guage, lighter weight shotgun to the field with the same effectiveness as the guy who takes the heavier 12 guage?

in a lot of cases a more effective light gun. My m2 20 will out perform my sup'ed up SBE2 shooting magblends all day and is almost 2lbs lighter.

Andy S.

gasman":fvwz9dzm said:
Andy S.":fvwz9dzm said:
Yes. Another benefit is TSS allows the hunter to shoot a more open choke (less constriction, wider diameter opening), that is in turn more forgiving at short ranges, say 15-20 yards. The TSS shot column shot does have to be choked/constricted as much as lead to make it stay together at 45-50 yards.

Few questions for you:

1. What size shot are shooting to get 125 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards? My guess is #6 lead pellets.
2. A .660 constriction is a fairly tight choke, especially for 15-25 yards shots where the pattern is oftentimes the size of a baseball/softball. Have you patterned your setup at 20 yards to see what it is doing at that distance? If not, I recommend at least a shot or two to verify. I also recommend shooting/testing from the EXACT position you will turkey hunt from, so most likely sitting on the ground with gun on your knee. No shooting off of benches, lead sleds, etc. You want to test your gun/choke/shells in the exact scenario in which you will shoot from when hunting. Also, warmer weather typically produces better patterns than cold weather. I like to test in the temps I mostly hunt, so 40-70 degrees.

gasman

Andy S.":3sddvj8h said:
gasman":3sddvj8h said:
Andy S.":3sddvj8h said:
Yes. Another benefit is TSS allows the hunter to shoot a more open choke (less constriction, wider diameter opening), that is in turn more forgiving at short ranges, say 15-20 yards. The TSS shot column shot does have to be choked/constricted as much as lead to make it stay together at 45-50 yards.

Few questions for you:

1. What size shot are shooting to get 125 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards? My guess is #6 lead pellets.
2. A .660 constriction is a fairly tight choke, especially for 15-25 yards shots where the pattern is oftentimes the size of a baseball/softball. Have you patterned your setup at 20 yards to see what it is doing at that distance? If not, I recommend at least a shot or two to verify. I also recommend shooting/testing from the EXACT position you will turkey hunt from, so most likely sitting on the ground with gun on your knee. No shooting off of benches, lead sleds, etc. You want to test your gun/choke/shells in the exact scenario in which you will shoot from when hunting. Also, warmer weather typically produces better patterns than cold weather. I like to test in the temps I mostly hunt, so 40-70 degrees.

At 20 yards, it was a much tighter pattern, as it should be. It was #4 lead. Yes sir, i was shooting from a sitting position.

Andy S.

gasman":28kxyo9r said:
At 20 yards, it was a much tighter pattern, as it should be. It was #4 lead. Yes sir, i was shooting from a sitting position.
At 20 yards, I would aim right above the beard in the black feathers to minimize odds of missing and watching him fly off. #4 lead is what I hunted with when I toted a 12G and hunted with lead. Lots of great memories with that gun/choke/shell combination. Plenty enough to get the job done if the shooter does his/her job.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":6lmrtkwp said:
Another benefit is TSS allows the hunter to shoot a more open choke (less constriction, wider diameter opening), that is in turn more forgiving at short ranges, say 15-20 yards. The TSS shot column shot does have to be choked/constricted as much as lead to make it stay together at 45-50 yards.
THIS is the main advantage to me personally!
Using TSS #9, basically,
I can shoot a 12 ga shotgun with a factory modified choke,
while achieving a greater range than a fine-tuned "turkey" choke shooting lead pellets!

Or more typically now,
using TSS #9, basically,
can shoot a 20 ga shotgun with a just a "full" choke,
and achieve a comparable to greater range than a 12 ga "turkey" gun shooting lead!
In the 20 ga setup, the pattern is not larger, but the gun is much lighter,
AND, the recoil is much lighter as well!

megalomaniac

I toted a 10g from 1995 until last year. That 10g with 2.5oz shot is just murder on turkeys.

I switched to the 20g 870 youth with #9 TSS last year just to have a smaller, lighter, and more easily maneuvered firearm.

And patterns at 40 yards are actually denser with the 20g with 1.5oz #9 TSS than 2.25oz #7 heavyweight shot in the 10g, so I am not sacrificing killing power by stepping down to the 20g.

IMO, there is no reason to shoot TSS in a 12g or larger unless you just love the gun and want to shoot 2 3/4" shells.

TN Larry

As others have said, the beauty of the TSS is being able to shoot a sub gauge with a more open choke without sacrificing any power. I switched to an 870 youth model 20 gauge with TSS #9 last year. It shoots just as good and probably better than my 3.5" 12 gauge without the recoil and a heavy gun to lug around the woods. I cover a lot of ground and love being able to tote the lightweight 20. If I were still shooting a 12 gauge, I would still be shooting lead. I prefer 6 shot lead over 4 shot though.

If you have an even distributed pattern at 40 yards with 120 hits in a 10" circle, it is a dead turkey if you do your part.

Andy S.

As an example, here's a BPS .410 pattern inside 10" circle at 40 yards. This is not my gun/load, just showing you an example of what sub-gauges are capable of with TSS. I suspect that is #9 or #9.5 shot.

gMdQHWq.jpg

gasman

cbhunter":303jpl4r said:
Gasman, I have birds here at the house. Hit me up and I'll help put you on a bird.

I had deer too, just put you in the wrong stand [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a miserable day to deer hunt. I have a farm on the Haywood Hardeman Co line that has birds. I can turkey hunt it, but too many people out there come deer season.

cbhunter

gasman":2xcwl3yg said:
cbhunter":2xcwl3yg said:
Gasman, I have birds here at the house. Hit me up and I'll help put you on a bird.

That was a miserable day to deer hunt. I have a farm on the Haywood Hardeman Co line that has birds. I can turkey hunt it, but too many people out there come deer season.
good deal. Let me know when you get frustrated and we will try it here lol

gasman

cbhunter":2qkd7xbd said:
gasman":2qkd7xbd said:
cbhunter":2qkd7xbd said:

good deal. Let me know when you get frustrated and we will try it here lol

Will do!

Latest posts