Seek One knocks down a TN stud!!

Hduke86

I saw that one.
He was backing out of the driveway to go eat lunch and his buddy called him and told him the group of bucks were headed down the hill towards him.
Cell camera gave them up.
He rushed, dramatically, but was JUST able to slip back into the ground blind before they showed up.
He took a VERY long shot and after an off camera recovery he got him.

All I will say is that's a big deer.
But but but but….. these monster deer are incredibly hard to kill and pattern.

BSK

But but but but….. these monster deer are incredibly hard to kill and pattern.
In one of our research projects, we put GPS-collars on some suburban deer. We needed to know how much influence we were having by "knocking out" a local population. Some of these deer had full ranges of just 12 acres. I've seen wild deer with ranges exceeding 10,000 acres.

bloodtrailing

How is killing one in a back yard any different than in a food plot that was planted? Both can come and go as they please and both can still travel miles.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, just my observation.
We could throw mineral sites, trail cameras and scents in there with food plots. All just try to narrow down where the deer are and where the Hunter wants them to be.
I've hunted a big farm in KY where the deer would stick around if the saw you. That doesn't happen on the public land in TN. So are we going to lump KY deer into the same barrel?
Just because someone hunts different than you doesn't make it wrong or wrong. Just because you don't agree with it also doesn't make it wrong or right.
If they are hunting legal within the law is all that matters to me.
If you have to ask, there not anyone that can help you here.

Bgoodman30

These guys are no heroes. They're not the future of hunting. They're an immense danger to hunting as we know it.

The video from two years ago of them with the landscaper showing up… it was over across the river from opryland. The landscaper I worked with for 4 years. They misled the homeowner into permission to hunt. The recovery wasn't filmed, and that was no accident. The shot taken was borderline unethical at distance with a vertical bow. Wait til they stab one that runs and dies on the neighbors back patio while the kids are in the pool. It could spell the end of Priest WMA or any of the others that border residential areas.

This is ALL regardless of the skill required… which is zero. Walk out there, bust them somehow… guess what? They'll be back. Tomorrow. And every day thereafter. Because they have nowhere else to go. Someone said these aren't trapped deer? Absolutely they're trapped deer. The only challenge is getting access. They "hunt" individual deer, sometimes many sits, because they can. Go to the wma, screw up on a mature giant, and see if you ever lay eyes on that deer again in your life.

I am sure that's already happened if they have shot more than one in a suburban settings.. I am sure they don't all just keel over in the one acre lot they shot it at. Everyone I know that hunts in the burbs has one of these stories.. Honestly most of these hunters also have questionable ethics...

I respect the hard work and passion but don't try and pass it along as hard a wild buck. Shooting a giant patterned suburban buck in August is not the same..

THE DUKE

This is why every Joe smo buys all the best equipment and ruins spots on public land for the actual few that know how to hunt. It ruins it for those of us that can't afford big property. You have people with money and no knowledge and experience vs people with knowledge and are smart with there money.

redblood

I am sure that's already happened if they have shot more than one in a suburban settings.. I am sure they don't all just keel over in the one acre lot they shot it at. Everyone I know that hunts in the burbs has one of these stories.. Honestly most of these hunters also have questionable ethics...

I respect the hard work and passion but don't try and pass it along as hard a wild buck. Shooting a giant patterned suburban buck in August is not the same..
Coincidence these deer are always killed in august… i think not

Rackseeker

Awesome buck for sure. Although I can't stand to watch their content. I'm sure they put in alot of time and effort. Its all about the money. If they are doing what they are passionate about and making a living doing it, good for them. Doesn't mean I have to watch their content and be impressed. If they want me to be impressed leave the city limits and come on down to the mountains of southern middle TN and kill a 150" buck.

Ski

This is what I tend to think, too. I have no experience with urban hunting, but its hard to imagine urban environments not allowing a significantly higher percentage of bucks to safely survive through maturity, in comparison to wild environments. Furthermore they are compressed into much smaller area. Case in point, what are the odds of getting on a 190" buck in a 10,000 contiguous acre forest in the mountains, with only 3 days to hunt? I'd bet pretty close to 0.0%.

I've got no animosity toward people taking urban bucks. Doesn't bother me. I'd probably even try it myself if the opportunity presented itself and I was confident my hunt wouldn't become a neighbor's problem. I'm not about inconveniencing somebody else for my own selfish pursuits. That seems to be a courtesy lost on people nowadays. But even if everything was just right and I did tag a monster, I think it would always have an asterisk attached to it. It just wouldn't be as fulfilling as tagging a hard earned mature wilderness buck.

Ski

City boy killing city deer…..not impressed by anything other than the genetics that the deer possessed

I'm not even all that impressed with the genetics. The deer has almost certainly never been hunted, chased by predators, or survived a situation where his body robbed him of antler growth because he needed every bit of nutrition to stay alive. He hasn't traveled dozens or hundreds of miles in a few short weeks because he's competing to mate. The hardest thing this deer has likely ever endured was crossing a busy street.

If deer hunting was put on pause for 3yrs, across the board, how many giants would be taken the first season it reopened?

peytoncreekhunter

Just think if they arrowed one and it took off through the neighborhood, crossed a street in front of cars, caused a wreck and someone (even worse kids) were hurt or killed. I'd hate to have that on my conscience. And I know it could happen on a "wild" deer from a big farm crossing a highway but a neighborhood deer is likely possibly.

Duck dogn

I couldn't do it. I've always hated asking anybody for anything. I'd rather lease land, join a lease, buy land, or do without. I've probably missed out on some great places over the years because I wouldn't/couldn't knock on a door.
Same here I have 20 acres my neighbors shoot everything that walks but hey its mine lol

JN

I like watching their shows and don't really care where they kill the deer or if they make the show more dramatic by adding some drama to it. I view them hunting urban deer is probably no different then the big name hunting shows going to a "ranch" to shoot a deer over a feeder. Which I do not prefer to watch those types of hunting shows. I feel like they are just paying for a deer.

I do some urban hunting myself but they are usually small tracts of 10-15 acres between subdivisions. I am mainly killing does because owners are tired of deer eating all the landscaping. I do know one thing if a 190" comes through I am not passing on it just because it was an urban deer and would not think anything of myself being less of a hunter because it was in an urban setting.

Duck dogn

As I replied above I hate to knock and ask because some people will chew you out. Some are nice. I've tried to find suburban areas locally but no luck some people would hunt them some would not hunt city deer. I personally have great respect for seek ones crew. As someone mentioned above alot of these giants will die of old age and meat and horns waste. Why not hunt and harvest such trophies.

megalomaniac

The hardest thing this deer has likely ever endured was crossing a busy street.
Actually, this is correct. Way more die from car collisions than are killed by urban/ suburban hunters. Usually the only bucks that survive to maturity are the ones that are homebodies and don't roam. The wanderers usually don't even make it to age 3.

But, you should be impressed by the genetics. There aren't many places in TN that the local herd has the potential to grow 180in deer with guaranteed regularity. Where they are hunting is one of the only places in the state capable of doing that.

Ski

I like watching their shows and don't really care where they kill the deer or if they make the show more dramatic by adding some drama to it. I view them hunting urban deer is probably no different then the big name hunting shows going to a "ranch" to shoot a deer over a feeder. Which I do not prefer to watch those types of hunting shows. I feel like they are just paying for a deer.

I do some urban hunting myself but they are usually small tracts of 10-15 acres between subdivisions. I am mainly killing does because owners are tired of deer eating all the landscaping. I do know one thing if a 190" comes through I am not passing on it just because it was an urban deer and would not think anything of myself being less of a hunter because it was in an urban setting.

I sure wouldn't pass it either. I'm just not sure it would feel as accomplished as if I'd done it in a wilderness setting. I guess I'll have to go kill a 190" urban buck and find out 😁

Chiflyguy

We all know YouTube and social media has ruined hunting for the majority. It's now mostly attention prostitutes that care nothing about the process. They just want a grip and grin they can put on Fakebook or a video they can put on YouTube. Unfortunately, so many people today are star struck over anyone that is "famous".
Fly fishermen are just as bad.
Going on a helicopter trip to Patagonia is something the common guy will never get to do.
It's just a contest of who has the bigger ding dong or wallet.
I'll share pics on here because most of you guys get it.

Ski

But, you should be impressed by the genetics. There aren't many places in TN that the local herd has the potential to grow 180in deer with guaranteed regularity. Where they are hunting is one of the only places in the state capable of doing that.

Do you think it's genetics more so than age, nutrition, and environmental conditions?

Latest posts