Seek one…. Perspective

Ski

I would hope the majority would NOT do it. I have more faith in the caliber of hunters on this site.

Agreed. Chasing big old bucks for me is all about the challenge. If it were easy I wouldn't be interested. And the antlers only mean something to me if they represent an accomplishment, such as killing a buck that outsmarted every other hunter for years before me. Hunting deer that dont get hunted and are desensitized to humans just doesn't appeal to me regardless of antler size.

redblood

Agreed. Chasing big old bucks for me is all about the challenge. If it were easy I wouldn't be interested. And the antlers only mean something to me if they represent an accomplishment, such as killing a buck that outsmarted every other hunter for years before me. Hunting deer that dont get hunted and are desensitized to humans just doesn't appeal to me regardless of antler size.
At this point in the game, antlers mean virtually nothing. Age is the only number (and maybe neck circumference-largely a factor ot age) that means much to me

Ski

I was born in 1941. I can remember when riding the school bus in the mid 50's and seeing a doe in this farmer's barn lot with the cows. This was in Sumner County and the stocking was just getting underway. That was the first deer that I ever laid eyes on and was very excited about it.
I bought my first deer tag in 1962 and hunted on Cheatham WMA and in Jackson County, but it took me two years before I even saw a deer. I have been at it for a long time.

You're a first generation deer hunter, what kids today call OG. I can only imagine how much you've watched deer hunting change through the years. Your generation was brand new at it, figuring it out as you went. You passed on what you knew to the next generation and so on. And today we have camo, trail cams, food plots, tree stands, and thanks to successful conservation the herd is robust. It's been quite the progression and you've seen it every step of the way. Pretty incredible if you ask me.

redblood

This whole trend is something I'm struggling to understand. I've listened to psychologist and sociologists expound upon it, but still don't think anyone has truly pegged what this is all about. It isn't just being an attention *****. It's more than that. If it was just about attention, they would just post what they did. The key is that those doing all this have to make it look much, MUCH better than it really is. It's some sort of weird need to "live a better life" than others and then sneer at the masses for not being as good as they are, even though their whole social media life is a total lie. And maybe that's it, it's the need to look better than they really are, and have people worship them for it.
You are correct!

AT Hiker

Imagine doing something, something that you love and never getting recognition for it nor ever expecting it.
Never getting paid for it. Instead, having to work hard and save every nickel just so you can do what you love, making sacrifices.
That's passion. The feel good emotion that is indescribable. You care enough to share your experiences with like minded people. You expect nothing in return because you assume others share that same passion, with respect for one another.

Now, imagine you do something just so your ego is stoked. You take what was once a passion and turn it into something cold, something dark. You do things, things you normally wouldn't do, just so you get something in return. You cut the throats of others for your own gain, complete disrespect for others. Me. Me. Me.

I'm afraid we are at the crossroads with the latter. If this is the harbinger of hunting just let it be known, many of us have sounded the alarm.

spur necklace 3

I would hope the majority would NOT do it. I have more faith in the caliber of hunters on this site.
I agree I wouldn't. I prefer to hold whatever weapon I'm using with both hands and that's not possible whilst a deer is eating out of one. Can't draw a bow with one hand, might could hold my muzzleloader with one and shoot but just imagine if you get a cramp at the last minute??? Blow your own hand off?? Hard no for me.

Snake

I would hope so too Brian but massive antlers does something to a hunter. Look at what we go through now just to kill a buck , leases are almost as high as you buying the property itself and traveling to the midwest to hunt isn't cheap . Do those that do that do it to just kill a deer ? No they do that to the kill one with impressive headgear . I myself would drive 200 + miles one way several times a year to hunt , I shudder to think what I paid in those 20+ years doing this. Doing this while I had a place not 20 minutes from the house to hunt but why did I do that all those years ? Because of the better chance to kill a decent buck every year that's why . Some on here travel alot greater distances than I have to do the very exact same thing , not for a deer but for a chance at a really good buck. I'm not downing anyone including myself but like I said a buck with impressive headgear does something to a hunter .

Last edited:

Snake

Imagine doing something, something that you love and never getting recognition for it nor ever expecting it.
Never getting paid for it. Instead, having to work hard and save every nickel just so you can do what you love, making sacrifices.
That's passion. The feel good emotion that is indescribable. You care enough to share your experiences with like minded people. You expect nothing in return because you assume others share that same passion, with respect for one another.

Now, imagine you do something just so your ego is stoked. You take what was once a passion and turn it into something cold, something dark. You do things, things you normally wouldn't do, just so you get something in return. You cut the throats of others for your own gain, complete disrespect for others. Me. Me. Me.

I'm afraid we are at the crossroads with the latter. If this is the harbinger of hunting just let it be known, many of us have sounded the alarm.
You can see this here if you look hard enough . I know some on here that rarely post about their kills even if it's a good buck but some post everything the kill from does to squirrels. Why do they do that ? Recognition of the good hunter they are and look I'm not against that if it makes them feel good about theirself then by all means post the picture ! I don't get bent out of shape if someone posts a spike or a 15 point buck I'll congratulate each one the same . With that said though which one will get the most views ? You know I don't have to answer that question . As it has been mentioned and I'll agree social media has ruined alot of good decent people .

agelessssone

My concern is the image it puts forth to people living in the subdivision who may not hunt or even have an opinion one way or the other about hunters or hunting. I know where a monster is right now with ring cam pictures in the front yard in a subdivision in TN. Just because you can does not mean you should. Now if the deer are a nuisance and the neighbor hood wants them gone that is different game on.
This is my situation. Lady wants them gone, crop and flower/shrubs are the deers dining room.
No monsters in the area but tons of does, babies, and 2-3 year old bucks.

batten_down

So
Much
Emotion

What solutions have you haters brought?

The only thing I see is you man-karens going on and on and on. It's tiresome. The irony - which is evidently, completely lost on you ladies- is, they have a business; their success is based off clicks and attention. Most of you haters can't help but keep their name out there. There's always a seek one thread on the first page or two. Most of the haters have watched their shows. And listened to their podcasts. 😂

So ring that bell if you want, shout it from the rooftops. That's fine. Don't be shy about taking a little credit for their success too, you man-karens deserve it.

prstide

1694603038285.jpeg

Pictured above: The cast of "Brokeback Mountain 2: Escape from the City" took a break from filming to enjoy the wilds of life in the suburbs. (September 2023)

BSK

I would hope so too Brian but massive antlers does something to a hunter. Look at what we go through now just to kill a buck , leases are almost as high as you buying the property itself and traveling to the midwest to hunt isn't cheap . Do those that do that do it to just kill a deer ? No they do that to the kill one with impressive headgear . I myself would drive 200 + miles one way several times a year to hunt , I shudder to think what I paid in those 20+ years doing this. Doing this while I had a place not 20 minutes from the house to hunt but why did I do that all those years ? Because of the better chance to kill a decent buck every year that's why . Some on here travel alot greater distances than I have to do the very exact same thing , not for a deer but for a chance at a really good buck. I'm not downing anyone including myself but like I said a buck with impressive headgear does something to a hunter .
I agree Snake. But I think there's a huge difference between driving 200 miles for the opportunity to hunt big bucks and shooting a pet big buck.

gladesman60

So
Much
Emotion

What solutions have you haters brought?

The only thing I see is you man-karens going on and on and on. It's tiresome. The irony - which is evidently, completely lost on you ladies- is, they have a business; their success is based off clicks and attention. Most of you haters can't help but keep their name out there. There's always a seek one thread on the first page or two. Most of the haters have watched their shows. And listened to their podcasts. 😂

So ring that bell if you want, shout it from the rooftops. That's fine. Don't be shy about taking a little credit for their success too, you man-karens deserve it.
There is that "H" word again. Defenders of something questionable always go there. Here is a big announcement for you. Disagreeing with someone is not hate! Seems you are the man karen for believing the opposite.

batten_down

There is that "H" word again. Defenders of something questionable always go there. Here is a big announcement for you. Disagreeing with someone is not hate! Seems you are the man karen for believing the opposite.
Very few things dominate the collective tndeer psyche like seek one. Maybe President Trump's Mean Tweets. So it's hate or whatever you want to call it. But it dominates. Lots of emotion, lots of hyperbole. No solutions. Bunch of re-hashed jokes though. Pages of em.

Madbowh

I think subdivision hunting goes against all traditional hunter ethics. In hunter safety we were taught so many things when I went through it.

Many things were covered,

no show boating,

Be respectful of hunters and non hunters

Subdivision hunting would not have been recommended then, most likely your animal would end up on someone else's property the possibility of no recovery, argument......

Do your best to take good clean shots and do everything you can to locate wounded animals. Probably many more things I can't remember

We went over more scenarios and situations and how to try to deal with them fairly and respectfully and this way of life/ thinking/ hunting is almost nonexistent anymore

gladesman60

Very few things dominate the collective tndeer psyche like seek one. Maybe President Trump's Mean Tweets. So it's hate or whatever you want to call it. But it dominates. Lots of emotion, lots of hyperbole. No solutions. Bunch of re-hashed jokes though. Pages of em.
Well you are the one who called it hate. I would also say your description of collective psche would be an exaggeration. There are plenty of members here supporting or at least neutral in their opinion of Seek One. No one who has an opinion has to have a solution and some of the jokes are actually funny. Its a beautiful day today, think I will take a ramble on the 4000 acres I can hunt and see if I can find a deer thats not standing in someones driveway. May not be Seek One caliber and probably miles away when the season opens but thats why I hunt.

batten_down

Well you are the one who called it hate. I would also say your description of collective psche would be an exaggeration. There are plenty of members here supporting or at least neutral in their opinion of Seek One. No one who has an opinion has to have a solution and some of the jokes are actually funny. Its a beautiful day today, think I will take a ramble on the 4000 acres I can hunt and see if I can find a deer thats not standing in someones driveway. May not be Seek One caliber and probably miles away when the season opens but thats why I hunt.
Good luck. Have fun. Picayune?

DRHUNTR

Once upon a time hunting was like this. You started the fall slipping into a grove of hickorynut trees and squirrel hunting, you took them home and skinned them then fried them in an iron skillet and ate them. Then you did it some more as the months went by, sometimes treed with dogs,sometimes sit hunting. September 1st at noon you went dove shooting and any other time you could find them till the season ended in January. If you could find a dove shoot you did that instead of deer hunting except for opening day of gun season. Bow season would open for deer and you shot a doe if you could,sometimes a young buck, rarely an older buck. Muzzleloader season opened for a week and maybe you killed a buck(no does) then, it closed and the next Saturday rabbit and quail season opened and you went rabbit or bird hunting. The duck hunters duck hunted and not much else except doves and some bird hunted too except most went deer hunting opening day of gun season and quit deer hunting after that weekend. Gun season opened right before Thanksgiving and it was a big deal for a week or so, you went opening day and the next day, Thanksgiving morning and that weekend then you went back to rabbit, bird, dove and squirrel hunting till January for the last 2 and February for rabbits and birds , sometimes you got drawn for a 2 day doe hunt the last weekend of the season and that was it. Some had traplines in the winter time. After that you went sauger fishing, maybe crappie fishing, there wasn't any turkeys to speak of so spring time was for fishing. Picture taking was for your own scrap book for remembering the fun times, no social media, no hero posts no sharing with the world. TV hunting consisted of Jimmy Holt on thursdays with an infrequent hunting clip and maybe the American Sportsman sometimes. The only "media'' was Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sports Afield and Fur Fish and Game Magazines.
There was a whole lot more variety, little specialization and a whole lot less pressure to kill for ego and most of all,a whole lot more fun.
Yes sir. I remember the days of "I hope I see one" and "maybe it will be a buck." Hunting from the back of Dad's "69 Chevy two wheel pickup with 1 T shirt, 1 Flannel shirt and an Army surplus field jacket. Sweat pants with a pair of jeans pulled over them and plastic un-insulated boots. I would melt the soles on the boots trying to get my feet warm. Go the outhouse at the camping site and the deer had chewed the seats off trying to get salt. Canvas tent and Coleman lanterns. Using a Glenfield Marlin 30-30 bought from a J.C. Penney's catalog. Gun, Weaver 4x scope and a case all for $132. Hunted 4 years before I killed a deer. Just amazed when we saw a deer of any kind. Miss the simpler days.

Latest posts